Hot Seat

…and they’ve already done that. Hot Seat’s last major relaunch was in April 2015 with a refreshed set, graphics and I think that there’s been more winners of prize money over $1000 since then too.

Life after Hot Seat: Bringing back the original format of Millionaire!

2 Likes

I think I’m the only one who want a Wheel of Fortune revival!

1 Like

Nine will not pull the pin as long as the show generates enough lead-in for Nine News in Melbourne and Sydney.

1 Like

9 wrecked their last attempt at Wheel.

I do recall that, what a flop it was!

This was the $1 million question. It took me all of three seconds to know that B is the correct answer. I reckon Nine purposely slipped in an easy question.

[quote]Question 15
Commonly known by his nickname, what was the full name of ‘Banjo’ Paterson?
A::
Albert Burke
B::
Andrew Barton
C::
Adam Beaufort
D::
Adrian Banks[/quote]

Desperation.

1 Like

That’s not a format shake up, that’s a presentation change. I mean change the format from Hot Seat to mimic maybe the US daytime version or come up with a new incarnation.

2 Likes

Just cut it and bring back Sale.

Hell, at this point even Burgo’s Catch Phrase would be a welcome change.

3 Likes

Or… Who Wants to be a Super Millionaire!
High cash prices, baby!

For me, I don’t actually care about Hot Seat and what it rates. But I think for Nine it is time to really look at this show and realise how it is impacting (or not impacting) the 6pm News

I think that is probably one of the main reason for ‘making the switch’ to Seven News. From night to night, Seven often loose ground in the 6.30 section, which to me says that the flow over from The Chase helps Seven News for half. .[quote=“TVHead, post:40, topic:714”]
I imagine they’d shake up the format
[/quote] I think that needs to be the first change, along with possibly extending the show to an hour. And dare I say, a new host would be good. But what new ‘segments’ can they do? What format changes do you suggest? [quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:39, topic:714”]
How long it will be until Nine finally pulls the pin on Hot Seat?
[/quote]

I don’t think Nine will do that unless things get real bad. And what do you replace it with? While revivals of old gameshows sounds appealing, look at Seven’s attempts in the last 5 years in that timeslot ( particularly with The Price is Right). For Nine, at least Hot Seat or WWTBAM is an established brand, who they know does work. Though in saying that, Deal or No Deal was a winner and Seven pulled the pin when it started to feel outdated.

I agree with this, I don’t think Nine will change anything for a while, given Deal was beating Hot Seat in its early days too before it lost its appeal.

The only difference I can see is that The Chase is a 1 hour show, it’s probably getting a bit of a head start on Hot Seat for those who don’t want to watch news at 5pm.

I think if Nine felt the need to do something at some point, they COULD try airing double episodes (even repeats) of Hot Seat from 5pm to counter The Chase.

1 Like

It really depends on how far back in the afternoon you want to consider for the flow on effect. Seven News at 4 and 4.30 is also beating Nine Afternoon News followed by The Chase that beats the 5pm news on Nine. Earlier than that, the UK version of The Chase is also well ahead of Nine News Now. Perhaps having news from 3.30pm to 5.30pm on Nine is the problem whereas Seven seem to be able to package theirs into a neat one hour sandwiched between quiz shows.

3 Likes

On the flipside, we can probably say that the 7pm program is a real problem for Seven especially in Sydney and Melbourne while ACA usually gets decent numbers in those two markets. However that’s a debate for another time and topic.

I think Nine did an OK job at refreshing Hot Seat in April 2015, but they did it a bit too early IMO. Would Nine have been better off holding off last year’s refresh of Hot Seat until September to coincide with the launch of The Chase Australia? Probably…

Aside from the suggestions of extending the show to an hour and adding an earlier afternoon repeat (which I think Nine should actually avoid, because then they’d probably be seen as copying Seven and The Chase Australia) I don’t know what else Nine can do apart from the following…

*Including the traditional Millionaire lifelines as part of the show.
*Running some special editions of Hot Seat for a week or two. One episode might include some of the contestants who’ve won big or failed spectacularly having another go, another might include “celebrities” (which knowing Nine, would probably mean The Block/The Voice contestants! ;P) playing for charity, etc.

Of course, one of the main reasons why Seven’s 2012 revival of The Price is Right failed was because of the low budget format which basically made it one half hour ad for Big W and a branded online store.

And no, I’m certainly not suggesting that The Price is Right should be revived again for at least another five years!

…and there’s the thing, Hot Seat has been on our screens for 7 years now. Millionaire was first seen on our screens 17 years ago. Is it perhaps time for Nine to retire this aging format and try something new (and by new, I don’t mean doing something like what Seven did with “Million Dollar Minute” by essentially combining elements of Millionaire/Hot Seat and Sale Of The Century/Temptation into the one show) at 5.30pm? I think so.

It has to be said that by the time Seven pulled the pin on Deal or No Deal, the format had been on Australian TV (first the original one hour $2 Million primetime version in 2003, then the version we’re most familiar with from 2004-13) for a decade. Mind you, the fact that Seven didn’t really do much to refresh the format of DoND after about 2007 probably helped the show decline quicker (especially post-2011) than it otherwise would have.

2 Likes

MILLIONAIRE MILESTONE: HOT SEAT CELEBRATES 1500th EPISODE

WEDNESDAY 12 OCTOBER 12 AT 5.30PM

Channel Nine’s afternoon quiz show Millionaire Hot Seat will celebrate an impressive milestone on Wednesday, October 12, at 5.30pm with its 1500th episode.

Since 2009, Millionaire Hot Seat has been a regular week night feature on Australia’s television screens, making dreams come true and giving away more than $38 million in prizemoney to over 9000 contestants.

On August 29, 2016, Millionaire Hot Seat viewers witnessed history when the incredible million-dollar cash prize was won for the first time by South Australian father, Edwin Daly.

For seven years, host Eddie McGuire has been at the helm awarding life-changing sums of prizemoney to ordinary Australians taking a chance in the hot seat.

“It’s a lot of shows and it’s a lot of questions, but most of all it has been a lot of fun,” McGuire said. “Meeting the contestants and watching how we’ve helped change their lives has been a constant source of great enjoyment for me and I’ve loved every minute of it.”

Executive Producer Steve Gilbert said: “2016 has been a massive year for Millionaire Hot Seat. No matter the prize won, we’ve changed many lives on this quiz show and we hope to keep doing so in the future.”

1 Like

Slightly awkward moment on Hot Seat this afternoon.

A mentally handicapped disabled pensioner (who has lost some of his brain processing capacity from an accident) was on today, and Eddie asked him which AFL team he supported.

“Collingwood” he replied… and there was a certain bemused look on Eddie’s face before he said “I shouldn’t have gone there”.

Takes a few days before the mass outrage begins :slight_smile:

Hot Seat: Eddie McGuire’s most cringe-worthy dad jokes
HOT Seat host Eddie McGuire is about to notch up 1500 episodes … and almost as many dad jokes.
The Daily Telegraph

Looks like Hot Seat will be extending to a one hour format next year.

5 Likes