Holey Moley

commercial tv in this country has made an art form of turning brainless fodder into stripped four night a week reality shows.

4 Likes

Is HM a weekly or stripped format? Please tell me it’s not the latter.

They haven’t confirmed this. But I would think it would be stripped to some extent in a similar way that Lego Masters and Ninja is. Probably 3 days a week.

Most shows are weekly until Australian networks get their hands on them.

It might work once a week in the summer but can’t see it working stripped nightly. Would be better on Sundays with Big Brother Mon-Wed, but that sees unlikely.

3 Likes

I can’t believe that with the perceived level of intelligence on this forum that people would suggest a once a week show.

Put a weekly format up against a stripped format and the stripped format will always win. The audience have been trained to return night after night, and if your show is not on a particular night the audience will go elsewhere - and the last thing a network wants is the audience sampling a stripped format on another network.

How did The All New Monty go last year? Or how does shows like Hard Quiz go?

1 Like

The all new monty has mediocre ratings and it is rolled out when the cupboard is bare. They’re not kicking the year off with a weekly format.

I think our definitions of ‘mediocre’ might be different. Those figures were pretty solid.

I don’t really agree with the theory a weekly format will always beat a stripped format. Networks have got into this habit because it is more cost effective. Not necessarily because ratings will be higher. Hard Quiz is a perfect example of viewers coming in especially for that show. I actually think it shows more intelligence questions whether a network should attempt a weekly show rather than the reverse you are saying.

I would suggest that to lead the year the network is looking for close to and over a million. Certainly in the case of MAFS and Block that is how high they should be aiming.

Hard quiz and the all new monty by comparison have mediocre ratings. Neither of those shows are ‘tentpole’ shows.

7 are not aiming for 6-700k to kick their year off.

If they were, then I’d be happy to agree with you.

There appears to be very limited bump on other network’s stripped formats when one takes a night off, most disappear from the FTA platform entirely.

I just don’t understand how this format could be viewed 3-4 nights a week without becoming boring very quickly.

Off some of the first week episodes of MAFS The All New Monty was only roughly 100-200k off the total figure numbers of MAFS. So I am just not sure why you are suggesting it was ‘mediocre’.

I don’t think any network is actually aiming for 1 million viewers and if 7 are they are going to fail before they even start. It is such a rarity for any show to reach that mark now. I think 7 would be happy if they got 700-800k each night to begin the year next year. It would mean they are up in that timeslot on last year.

The Block was hovering around the 600-800k mark…

Yes you are right viewers are trained to come back night in night out. And Holey Moley will be multiple times a week. However, with training this a lot of networks have lost half their audience from 10 years ago. Do you remember when shows like Thank God You’re Here and Talkin bout your gen got close to the 2 million mark? Viewers have gone to streaming because they are sick of the same content, among other reasons. Suggesting peoples intelligence’s are lacking because they are suggesting a show should early weekly is harsh.

3 Likes

The block can easily manage around the million mark for reveals and obviously much higher for the auction. So I’d still put The Block in the ‘high rating’ category. That’s what 7 should be aiming for and if they’re not, they need to reassess their how to relaunch their year.

I absolutely agree that 7-800k is acceptable and no doubt you’d bring a show back for less these days. But you’d still want to be aiming higher for at least one or two shows a year - particularly your first show of the year.

Just a thought but what about airing Holey Moley seven days a week?

Whilst it wouldn’t pull numbers as big on Fridays & Saturday’s as it could on the normal reality nights, I think a show like this could work well on Friday’s and Saturday’s

So ideally you’d start Monday 01st February and run through to Tuesday 16th February (I believe there are 16 episodes?).

Then Big Brother can start the next week.

I would say, and although it would be great to have content Thursday-Saturday, 7 wouldn’t want to waste content on those days. They have to be profitable and they also need to spread their content out for roughly 42 weeks of the year.

A long ass year just got longer by 42 times :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

It feels like its been 42 years this year.

1 Like

Retired commentary legend Dennis Cometti is doing the Voice Overs for the promo - not sure if he is also part of the show?

4 Likes

No.

New promo

The ‘New in 2021’ graphic is quite nice, but why do they have to go and ruin it with hideous colours.

2 Likes