HM Queen Elizabeth II (1926-2022) -- News Coverage

ITV in the UK is reported to be simulcasting coverage on all it’s channels next Monday from 6am to Midnight, which virtually everyone agrees is too much for too long, especially as most will watch on the BBC anyway. Certainly by the evening I think viewers will be drifting towards viewing options of a less sombre nature.

2 Likes

After carrying BBC coverage, Nine switched to Sky for overnight, this time with a watermark, hard to see against the captions. 5am start for Today with Kar present this morning - sometimes sitting, mostly standing.

2 Likes

Seven’s coverage faded out around 1:30 am last night with Cannonball taking over :sweat_drops:. Later was NBC Today ahead of Sunrise that began with a pre-recorded “walking opener”.

5 Likes

I wish there was a video of the opener.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiZrY8OPYQP/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

8 Likes

More extended coverage from Nine tonight and Wednesday.

1 Like

No the pregame is live on 7plus currently, but this would just have been a typo.

This just looks so amatuer! :joy:

3 Likes

What’s the point of the inset? Is Nine expecting the Queen to rise and give a little wave to mourners. Coverage is really becoming ridiculous.

11 Likes

it’s regional television. Never going to be as polished as a metropolitan bulletin. The reporter probably doesn’t have the luxury of a camera operator and instead having to set up the camera themselves and hope for the best?

13 Likes

I reckon they could loosen up the dress code now so that not everyone needs to be in black such as weather presenters at the beach.

This morning.

5 Likes

ABC:

How to watch/listen Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral in Australia?

The Queen’s funeral will take place at London’s Westminster Abbey and if you’re wondering how to watch the funeral of our late monarch in Australia, ABC NEWS will be broadcasting the funeral live on 19 September 2022 from 8pm AEST on ABC TV and ABC iview. You can also tune into ABC NewsRadio to listen to the funeral live from the ABC listen app.

No surprises from ABC.

3 Likes

Coverage of events like this almost feels like a no-win situation for broadcasters (although they probably don’t help themselves) - people are complaining that the current coverage is over the top and unnecessary, but if it were to be trimmed back people would complain that it’s not enough.

I’m surprised that they’ve continued to lean into it heavily post Saturday night, despite the ratings showing that people may not be that interested and I really dont understand the need to (or the value gained from) send a significant contingent of on-air “talent” to London to cover it either and shows that quality and credibility in reporting is achievable by simply having the network darling standing in a marquee outside of a backdrop.

12 Likes

Maybe there is an obligation in their license that they have to even as a mark of respect?

Today now using “remembering Queen Elizabeth” like Sunrise.

2 Likes

ABC’s schedule for next Monday shows coverage of the funeral from 7:30pm to 3:25 am

It’s going to be a long night.

9 Likes

I don’t get it, either. I caught SBS news last night and it led the bulletin with correspondent reports to wrap up the major developments from the past 24 hours and really that’s all that was needed. No need to squeeze out every last detail or look for any tenuous link for an interview or have a newsreader reading autocue from outside Buckingham Palace.

I very much doubt that

1 Like

It’ll be a long broadcast according to advance guides. Going to be one of the most watched television events ever. First state funeral in the UK since that of Sir Winston Churchill. Last Royal Funeral was for George VI in February 1952 with TV only 4 years away.

And will they and other networks drop all on-screen branding please as per normal protocols for state funerals. Is very tacky to see network bugs/watermarks etc on such coverage.

1 Like

Sorry I mean more so the coverage of the death (as a PSA not rolling coverage), wearing the black clothes and the telecast of the funeral.

The black clothes are likely more a respect thing I wouldn’t say it’s “law” or anything like that.

But the telecast of the funeral I would imagine they are obligated to cover in some sense.