Broadcast Facilities

2 Likes

Yesterday i toured Wimbledon and got to see the old media center. it is currently being pulled down and replaced with a more modern facility.

it features banks of desks, each with a screen. they are allocated to individual outlets - i saw screens for both SMH and Nine.

the redevelopment is expected to take 2 years (so will not be ready for next years competition) but will move the production of the championships away from the BBC needing to bring in OB trucks to having on site production facilities. As Wimbledon is 14 miles out of London they previously used satellite trucks, but this will be replaced with IP links.

This will have the advantage of allowing rights holding broadcasters to be able to (in the words of my tour guide) “plonk down a camera, plug it in and be on air - it will be that simple”

heres a picture of the rather drab current centre.

IMG_0611

later in the week i’m touring Lords so i’ll try and ger pics in the media centre there

7 Likes

Very cool!

3 Likes

A few photos of the media at Buckingham Palace

9 Likes

I also got a chance to see the old media centre at Wimbledon when I was in London in January 2018. Nothing had changed in the four years since then. Pleased to hear it will be redeveloped.

1 Like

Interesting to see a 10 property sticker on the back of a camera. What does the hashtag mean?

4 Likes

ATV=Ten Melbourne
Live Eye=Live coverage of news
Boyz=group of people

I’d say it’s an in joke referencing that the gear usually lives in the link truck(s).

6 Likes
4 Likes

How the news opt-out worked before the move to the new Broadcasting House.

5 Likes

Amazing that so much infrastructure still uses windows 7 which is no longer supported.

My workplace has two windows 11 laptops, 3 windows 10 desktops and 8 windows 7 desktops and we are just now upgrading them to Windows 10

1 Like

My work was using Windows 7 right up until the middle of last year on its POS terminals. They now run windows 11.

1 Like

Some radio stations still use Cool Edit for audio editing which was purchased by Adobe well over 10 years ago and is now their Audition product. So not uncommon. They are probably paying Microsoft for extended support they would be stupid not to so at least they get security updates

1 Like
  1. So 19 years.
1 Like

There are still businesses running significant infrastructure on Windows 95 & 98

2 Likes

Don’t the US Navy run on the first Windows or something?

I looked after radio automation in 2006 that used a Novell server for its audio storage - playout was Wizard for Windows on Win 3.1. I would not be surprised if kit like that was still out there in use somewhere.

It wasn’t that long ago you occasionally saw a tape freeze frame on a QTQ9 news story make it to air - hopefully they are on a clip store now but broadcasters are not known for being early adopters.

3 Likes

There are commercial aircraft still flying around with only floppy disk installed upgrades!

3 Likes

Gravity Media broadcast trucks and satellite dish van at the Collingwood v Essendon AFLW match at Melbourne’s Olympic Park yesterday (you can see the company logo on both trucks)

2 Likes

Wonder if Seven are using them, considering the reported (The Australian?) fall-out following the Tokyo Olympics. Their Australian head is also Seven’s HoS Saul Shtein.

1 Like

How many other radio/TV stations get a street named after their call sign!

4AK Toowoomba’s transmitter is located on … wait for it… 4AK Road!

5 Likes