HM Queen Elizabeth II (1926-2022) -- News Coverage

A lot of the coverage has been like this now so this is very likely.

the coverage of Princess Diana’s funeral was extended as the media followed the hearse taking the coffin to its final resting place, which took a couple of hours IIRC. Not sure if similar will happen here

Yes, it begins at 11am UK time, so 8pm. Seems a late start but the procession is only about 20 minutes from Westminster Hall to Westminster Abbey, but thought they’d at least start at 7pm to get the talking heads out of the way.

Afterwards there will be the procession to Windsor and then the internment at Windsor, which I’m not sure whether it being televised or not. Given the length of the ABC broadcast that suggests it probably is.

1 Like

What time was Princess Diana’s funeral - I seem to recall that being earlier but it was 25 years ago!

Thank you for all that information.

So it’s a 7.30 start for an 8pm telecast for the funeral. A 30 minute “guide” does seem short for the ABC, but am sure that the 7pm News will include a lot of detail leading to the funeral also.

From the posts here, it does appear that they’ll be showing the procession after the funeral to Windsor, given the timeframe of ABC’s coverage. Does make sense now. Thanks.

1 Like

Coverage started at 6PM AEST and went beyond 1am the next morning according to the TV guides.

I believe the funeral service was at the same time but there was a long slow procession through the streets before that. Comments are they had learnt not to repeat that. It had to stop several times because people were throwing so many flowers onto the hearse and crowding it. So apparently a shorter and faster procession this time.

I think, though that the commercials will start before the ABC’s current start time.

1 Like

I assume Michael Usher will be co-presenter of the funeral itself, so makes sense for him to be there.

I’m surprised they sent 2/3 of their US bureau. Chris Reason is not a surprise. Sunrise presenters is also not a surprise - although do you need both Eddy and Bianca? Maybe not.

3 Likes

ABC’s coverage of the Queen’s funeral will also be shown live across Asia-Pacific region on ABC Australia. Not sure why, given those countries may broadcast the event via local stations or international networks like BBC World News and CNN.

State funeral as in head of state. I should have defined my comment as in ‘head of state funeral coverage.’ My apologies.

Is more the case much of the South Pacific will just relay the ABC coverage as many use that same feed to fill in the hours of downtime they have outside of local programming.

3 Likes

A nice touch announced from the BBC - they will show the funeral from 8am to 6.50pm, and then air Paddington 2 in the evening.

They will also air the first film on Saturday in place of the launch of this years of Strictly Come Dancing, which was pre-recorded a couple of days before the Queen died. That will now air the following Friday ahead of their first live show the next day.

6 Likes

It was stated at the end of The Latest that Sunrise will begin at 3am AEST to cover the arrival of the Queen’s coffin in London and it then being transported to Buckingham Palace.

3 Likes

Depends on directors of news departments across Asia. In most cases, the coverage is carried digitally on their Facebook and Youtube pages (where applicable). For us here in the Philippines, no national channel is willing to go full-scale coverage of Monday’s state funeral, since it’ll crash weeknight primetime programs, as well as priority on national affairs. Not sure how regional news channels like NHK World, Al Jazeera, CGTN, CNA, etc. will do on Monday, but mostly, they’ll continue regular programming as usual, with momentary updates from London.

2 Likes

Channel 7 are currently showing a clean feed with no watermarks at all. As The coffin heads off to London (2:12 am) I’m assuming it’s ITV. Channel 9 are on to home shopping.

I would very surprised if Al Jazeera don’t at least show the main parts.

2 Likes

Nat and Kochie returned to air at 3am AEST, so will cover the RAF arrival and the coffin travelling to Buckingham Palace (as mentioned above). Ch9 still taking Sky News feed.

7 Likes

How have SBS handled it all? Assumed largely stuck to showing the mix of international bulletins on WorldWatch, which is interesting in it’s own right.

After The Latest coverage finished, Seven switched to ITV coverage. That finished at 6pm UK time for ITV Evening News. A couple of ITV News slides were seen for a while at what was 3am east coast time with the audio the opening of ITV News. Then a cut to Sunrise without opener. Rolling coverage resumed with crosses to Australian reporters until local news at 5:50am.

The motorcade in the dark is a reminder of the different time of year for this funeral compared to Dianna’s.

3am ITV News them starts playing

8 Likes

Nine Sky News feed continued overnight with a one hour break from 2am. Today started at 4:27 am with vision of the motorcade and audio only of the Today team. They first appeared at 5.23am.

3 Likes