Hits of 2016

Quite a few ‘promoters’ of TEN shows on this forum ! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I haven’t watched JonBenet yet but have it recorded ready to watch. Seems like it wasn’t a stupid decision by nine after all.

1 Like

You can add The Secret Daughter and Doctor Doctor to the list.

I’m not sure Doctor Doctor is a “hit”, it’s only just got 850k?

I would class it as a hit. It has been reaching close to a million+ viewers when +28 is accounted for. Its demos are great.

With the Melbourne Cup being run, the biggest audiences of the year have now pretty much been decided…

Top TV programs of 2016

[5 city metro, 28 day consolidated (where available), non-rounded, OzTam]*:

1. Seven’s AFL - Grand Final: Presentations: 3,201,000

2. Seven’s AFL - Grand Final: Sydney vs. Western Bulldogs: 3,081,000

3. State of Origin Rugby League NSW v QLD 1st Match: 2,598,000

4. Rugby League Grand Final: 2,502,000

5. State of Origin Rugby League QLD v NSW 2nd Match: 2,269,000

6. My Kitchen Rules - Winner Announced: 2,096,000

7. Molly - Part 1: 2,088,000

8. My Kitchen Rules (Sunday February 21): 2,078,000

9. The Melbourne Cup - The Race: 2,057,000

10. State of Origin Rugby League NSW v QLD 3rd Match: 2,044,000

11. MasterChef Australia - The Winner Announced: 1,999,000

• = Some programs listed above, may have been adjusted or a figure appearing on a multi-channel, which I may have missed. But considering most are sport telecasts, consolidated increases are minimal.

THOUGHTS? :slight_smile:

I think The Block Auction will sneak into the top 10 though.

I doubt it.

It got ~1.8m last year & will surely get lower this year…

Comsidering MKR & MasterChef winners were also both lower by around 200k, in fact both were below 2m in overnights.

(The Block auction will probably get 1.5m - 1.6m at best).

But MKR and Masterchef were down on last year. The Block has been slightly up. Guess we will see. I think it will hit the 2 million mark.

1 Like

That’s not how you should look at it though.

The Block averages 800-900k.

MasterChef 1.17m.

MKR: 1.5m+

So The Block is not expected to reach 2m.

Did it?

I still think it could crack the 2 mill mark, but could be wrong.

1 Like

Interestingly though The Block has had larger rated episodes than Masterchef did before the finals week. They had an episode rate 1.28 and Masterchefs highest before finals week was 1.26. They have actually rated quite similarly.

They haven’t really. Let’s only give credit where it’s due :+1:

Most MasterChef eps rate above 1m.

Most The Block eps rate below 1m.

MasterChef also performs better in Adelaide & Perth.

Where they are similar though is in Sydney.

MasterChef had it’s best finals week in years, with well over 500k & 600k in Melbourne alone.

NB/
Interestingly MasterChef was actually up in Melbourne & Perth this year, with a season average over 400k (something The Block hasn’t achieved).

I think we’ve moved off topic a bit here

1 Like

Don’t think this really has anything to do with Adelaide and Perth. Its about national figures and credit should be given when its due. 18 episodes of the block have rated over a million making it 41% of the episodes or every 3rd episode.

This is the exact same percentage for Masterchef before finals week with 25 episodes over 1 mill for 41% of the episodes. Stop looking through your tainted Masterchef glasses… :slight_smile:

EDIT: And that is taking out Masterclass episodes, so it would actually be a lower percentage of million + episodes if I had included them.
Anyway off topic and now back on.

You really worked hard to find out all of that…

Stop trying to make The Block something bigger than it is :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Its all on their wiki pages. Just can’t let you make up crap all the time :stuck_out_tongue: Stating facts needs some evidence to them, which you didn’t have.

Not trying to make it bigger than it is. I couldn’t care less. Was just stating it might still change. It is a prove finale ratings hit. It might not be that high this year but still could be up there. Maybe you need to stop making Masterchef bigger than it is :stuck_out_tongue:

To make a Hits of 2016 list a show would fall into one of two categories for me.

The first would be a new program that has done well and the second an existing show that has improved significantly on previous years. I wouldn’t list perennially popular shows like MKR or football codes that are just a normal feature of each year; I’d be looking for the things that will be something to remember 2016 for. So something like Here Come the Habibs!, Wanted or even Seven Year Switch.

Also on the list could be some innovative programming strategy or brand re-launch that has been successful. I can’t think of any this year, though there might be a case for Thursday night NRL.

Even though the end of ratings year is two weeks away, with The Block finale now aired, here’s the “hits” of 2016 :slight_smile:

#1 program: AFL Grand Final - Presentation (3.2m) SEVEN^

#1 sport program: AFL Grand Final - Presentation (3.2m) SEVEN^

#1 non-sport program: The Block - Winner (2.1m) NINE*

#1 program in key demos (25-54s): AFL Grand Final - Presentations: 1.303m^

^= “AFL Grand Final - Sydney vs. Western Bulldogs” (match) also had 3m+. Both presentations and match also had 3m+ in overnight.

*= overnight only, will increase with consolidated.

Top TV programs of 2016

[5 city metro, 28 day consolidated (where available), non-rounded, OzTam]:

1. Seven’s AFL - Grand Final: Presentations: 3,201,000

2. Seven’s AFL - Grand Final: Sydney vs. Western Bulldogs: 3,081,000

3. State of Origin Rugby League NSW v QLD 1st Match: 2,598,000

4. Rugby League Grand Final: 2,502,000

5. State of Origin Rugby League QLD v NSW 2nd Match: 2,269,000

6. The Block - Winner Announced: 2,104,000

7. My Kitchen Rules - Winner Announced: 2,096,000

8. Molly - Part 1: 2,088,000

9. My Kitchen Rules (Sunday February 21): 2,078,000

10. The Melbourne Cup - The Race: 2,057,000

11. State of Origin Rugby League NSW v QLD 3rd Match: 2,044,000

12. MasterChef Australia - The Winner Announced: 1,999,000

NB/
Some programs listed above, may have ended up being adjusted or a figure from a program may have appeared on a multi-channel (Perth) that needs to be added, which I may have missed.

THOUGHTS?

So your list did change :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like