Hit Network

The plan has worked.

1 Like

I think the only question remaining is about old mate’s custom text

• The bost mod here
  • I’m a moderator

0 voters

1 Like

Never saw the custom text, doesn’t display on Mac with Chrome browser?

Displays for me on the Mac at work with Chrome browser…

1 Like

Sorry, I forgot about the rules of the internet… right there at #22 is ‘don’t criticise someone else’s employer’ just above #23 ‘don’t be cheeky or sarcastic on the internet’.

Ah damn, I just broke #23 again.

If that’s really their attitude, that’s very defeatist and potentially part of the problem (blame the other guys for your own problems).

Any team will take a while to bed into the Sydney market, but there’s no reason they have to rate 3s.
I think finding a genuinely good team, or a genuinely good talent (I’ve said before they should grab Karl Stefanovic) that they can build around and then with and grow the show over the medium term it will work. Look at Fitzy & Wippa. They’ve taken what, 5 years to get to where they are? It takes time but you need to get the content right first and I don’t necessarily think that throwing three personalities together in a different state is the best way to elicit that…

In their older format they could get someone like Andrew Denton or even maybe Daryl Somers (though he’s probably past it).

Even Rove & Carrie could work. You know what, even Julie Goodwin & Rabbit from the Central Coast might work on their new format.

They’ve got a decent drive show in H&K, all they need is a good breakfast show. The music and the ads (or lack thereof) is just tinkering around the edges.
Nova didn’t do well initially because of it’s approach to ads. They did well bcause they were new, exciting and different.

But that’s just my opinion

Ok I accept your opinion, but I’m not blaming K&J for 2Day’s Breakfast Problems??

Yeah but Fitzy & Wippa aren’t a great example because they still only rate in the 6’s, Jonesy & Amanda are a much better example because they work well with WS’s format which 2Day’s format is now much similar to.

Goodness gracious. I don’t care if you are religious, not sure what relevance that has to anything.

As for your assertion you haven’t used personal attacks, I deleted a post yesterday where you had a crack at two different members.

Suggesting that 2DAY breakfast will be a big problem while K&J are still on air is apportioning at least part of the blame to them.

I personally don’t even think K&J are all that great. But I get why people listen. Need more ‘realness’ and real talent in Sydney breakfast…

2 Likes

A healthy forum is one that a) allows for respectful debate and disagreement, and b) is comfortable to challenge the industry. This second part is especially important, because in a forum like Media Spy there are posters who work within the media industry - a great example being a former Channel Ten executive producer.

I know that I take the piss quite a lot here, because as someone who has experience in the broadcasting sector (albeit not in the Sydney market), I can say with confidence that the 2DayFM situation has resulted from years of mismanagement - from letting Kyle & Jackie O go in 2013, to failing to let any breakfast show since 2014 build beyond a 12-18 month window.

Liking a radio station, a television network, whatever it may be is totally fine: you’re entitled to your opinion, after all. However, I - and others in this particular thread - are equally entitled to highlight that the station isn’t to their preference, and that dropping advertising between 9am and 3pm is less about supporting their music format, but rather about managing their advertising inventory.

There’s a difference between running 100 minutes without commercials, versus 360 minutes. KIIS are still the #1 CHR station in Sydney - they may not be falling over themselves with ads to play out, but they’re in a better position than 2DayFM is - at this point.

Remember, 106.5 and 104.1 effectively swapped positions in the ratings when Kyle & Jackie O departed. The path 2DayFM is on is not dissimilar to Mix 106.5 a decade ago: constantly shifting breakfast shows and tinkering with music formats.

That said, being #3 in a market that doesn’t support 3 stations playing the same type of music with the same type of breakfast and drive shows isn’t going to allow 2DayFM to stand apart. They needed to carve their niche, and I think this might be how they do it. Will it get to #1? Probably not, but it might make them more profitable than lingering around 2CH and Talking Lifestyle (RIP) in the ratings.

Someone will correct me here, but I’m fairly sure that Jonesy & Amanda have been around for at least 10 years? From my memory, they weren’t #1FM overnight, either.

Nope, this is definitely @Bort’s side-account.

6 Likes

I pretty much agree with everything in the post above by AustralianAerial.

IIRC, Jonesy & Amanda have been together on WSFM breakfast since 2005. Brendan Jones was at WSFM for a couple of years before Amanda Keller, but both were the successors to Hans Torv and Kayley Harris respectively.

1 Like

Totally agree with you

that’s personally attacking two people. that’s twice as bad!

No, you are!

Actually though.

Totally agree that letting K&J go was a bad decision and also not letting Rove and Sam progress further was also not a great decision as I thought there was something there with them, not sure about Dan & Maz though?

I think this is a great idea to keep listeners on for longer periods of time.

I thought KIIS were more Hot AC??

Obviously

Good point

Yes but from memory Jonesy & Amanda has to build themselves up the breakfast ratings as well as Fitzy & Wippa and Kyle & Jackie O, the fact is that J&A and K&J are #1FM and #2FM while Fitzy & Wippa are stuck in the sixes.

Guys can’t we all just get along and not attack anyone, it’s not bad at all if we all relax

Jones & Amanda and Kyle & Jackie O have both been on air in Sydney breakfast since 2005. Fitzy & Wippa have been on air in Sydney breakfast since 2013. The #1 and #2 shows have an 8 year head-start on Fitzy & Wippa.

I don’t know that there’s much 2 DAY could have done to keep them

Rove is past his prime but could probably work with a bit of passion… Sam was the wrong choice at that point in time. She’d be great after about 5 years at a major regional station. The wrong decision was putting 2 extremely inexperienced radio people into the highest profile, highest pressure radio gig in the country and expecting them to rate within 12 months.

Let’s not forget also that 2DAY were in a similar ratings position before K&J went to breakfast…

I’ll be totally honest, I don’t get it. Charli & Galey would have been better than the procession of people they’ve had through 2DAY. Or Bree & Gawndee, or Will & Woody, or an adjusted version of The Thinkergirls, or even Stav & Abby. And that’s just those in their own network.

What’s the point of ‘developing talent’ if you don’t use it when the time comes…?

Of course, that’s assuming they were allowed the time and reign to do what they needed to make their respective show work…

With all the activity in this thread, I thought 2DAY might’ve announced a new breakfast team already…

9 Likes

Any day now… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Actually only a five-six year head start on Fitzy and Wippa with F&W starting their Nova Drive in January 2011 and shifting to Nova FM Sydney Breakfast in October 2011 and just to say Kyle and Jackie O were consistently rating #1FM Breakfast after only one-two years at 2Day, Fitzy and Wippa were straggling behind after two years on air and still are to this date.

Offered more money??

2Day were obviously asking too much of Rove and Sam to rate within twelve months, but I think if they had given them a bit more time then the ratings may have started to come, and at least they were rating 1 or 2 points above Dan and Maz and Em and Harley at the end of last year.

Yes ok

Bree and Gawndy Yes, Will and Woody if they were prepared to move to Sydney, Stav and Abby, but remember Stav is Mr. Brisbane. Agree someone within SCA that is experienced would have been a better fit.

Is he? He’s no Pricey, has no recognition outside the audience of 105.3

Back when Austereo had local drive, late nights and so on, lots more slots to develop talent. Now to move talent up, they have find subsequent talent in key slots. So the pipeline has a vacuum problem now because of the penchant for networking when it’s unncessary.

2 Likes

If you wanna go to that extent, Kyle & Jackie O have an 11 year head start on Fitzy & Wippa given Kyle started on the Hot 30 with Jackie in 2000…

The pooling of resources suggests you get a better show/talent for a major time slot if you network.

You can produce a Kate, Tim & Marty for example at a national level, but it become significantly harder at a local level - at least much more costly.

2 Likes