Hit Network

It also appears that Oshers Love Line is gone.

Well this is awkward but the time for The Queen Sesh has been removed. Mistake or they didn’t want it announced yet?

Edit: and it’s back! Someone’s playing silly buggers

Fox hasn’t looked good since it was forced to use the 2day branding. Bring back the fox.

1 Like

Fox is a dirty word around the world these days. :wink:

1 Like

But not ‘THE FOX’

6 Likes

SCA should bite the bullet and rebrand Fox FM and 2Day FM to “hit101.9” and “hit104.1”.

1 Like

Fuck no. What a bland shitty name.

6 Likes

SCA have already tried (and failed at) moving the Sydney & Melbourne stations in that direction - remember the short lived “Hit 104.1 2DayFM/Hit 101.9 The Fox” branding from the first part of 2015?

1 Like

It seemed half baked.

Perhaps they should do it properly and do away with the 2Day and FOX brands next time…
They don’t gel with the youthful HIT image anyway imo.

Hit101.9 and Hit104.1 sound fine to me.

3 Likes

Agreed.

2 Likes

Yes. The reason it failed is because they didn’t commit. Fox has heritage in Melbourne so is a riskier switch. As far as 2DAY is concerned, I reckon pull it and got full Hit 1041.

4 Likes

Listen on air, ‘The Fox’ still sounds fresh as a radio brand. Much more than even KIIS I reckon. It is cheeky and irreverent (TM Network Ten) and has a big brand recognition in Melbourne. No idea about Sydney, but it’d be awful if it lost its identity anymore than it already has.

2 Likes

2Day probably has more heritage in Sydney than even Fox has in Melbourne. I guarantee that the majority of the population is completely aware of the 2Day FM brand and the 2Day network and that the majority also has no idea what Hit is.

4 Likes

The 2DayFM brand was probably considered to be quite cool/trendy back in the “text speak” era of the 2000s.

These days? Probably not so much, but somehow I still think that’s a better name (not to mention is more local and is the official callsign, etc.) than “Hit 104.1” would be.

3 Likes

It certainly has insane brand recognition. I don’t find it to be particularly fresh or anything, but all the major CHRs do have very distinctive sounds - other than the similar music you couldn’t criticise any of them for not branding their respective brands very well.

Yes, but it’s a chequered past that Fox just doesn’t have. Fox has always been a juggernaut in Melbourne. Kyle & Jackie O is (obviously) a much bigger brand these days than 2DAY FM. So much controversy and salaciousness. People might know it, but that doesn’t mean they think good things about it. That’s very different to the public perception of Fox.

I think it’d be a cleaner break to just go to Hit. It would take a crapload of investment - but their breakfast team rates a 2.8. Changing Fox given its strength is risky. It’s obvious to me that being 2DAY FM makes no difference to the station. At least Hit would be new, different, clean etc.

The majority don’t know what Hit is because there’s never even been so much as a marketing campaign for Hit 1041. The majority of Sydney didn’t know what KIIS was either, but hey look how that’s turned out…

2 Likes

By the same token, I don’t think the KIIS brand is that strong. It’s Kyle and Jackie O that are artifically propping that brand up. If they left tomorrow, I bet that brand will sink as fast as 2Day did.

11 Likes

I totally agree JBar- as Alan Jones would say “you are 110% correct”.

I also believe that the three CHR / Hit radio stations in Sydney (2DayFM, Nova and Hit) are so bland and programmed so similarly (DJs that sound like their voices have not broken, 1 minute news updates that are very colloquial and those “capital fm” sounding station promos between each song) that the only difference between them is who has Kyle and Jackie O for the breakfast shift.

KIIS is certainly no super station - they just have a contract with a guy called Kyle and a lady called Jackie Henderson.

3 Likes

And that Hit branding for the shows is so cheesy that it’s pushing up my cholesterol.

A million colours in the world and they choose an off-green and an off-red. Unless you are colour blind it’s almost offensive. They should mandate those colours on cigarette packaging as it would help to reduce sales.

You’re right, though I think K&J have definitely brought a lot of awareness to it. If they left, the strength of the replacement breakfast team would determine how fast it ‘sank’ - just like it did at 2DAY. If K&J were to leave, putting in a parade of dud breakfast shows like 2DAY would definitely see them slide to similar levels.

Very true - though I find it interesting as many thought 2DAY was a ‘super station’. Untouchable. When Kyle & Jackie O were at 2DAY I reckon you’d have struggled to find anyone who would predict that within 2 years of them leaving they’d be last FM in the ratings.

Just shows how strong the K&J brand is. There’s no other team like it, probably across the country.

I freakin hate it. Teal and pink. It’s disgusting. Everything about it. The colours, the design… looks like a year 11 multimedia project. I hope they didn’t pay some agency millions to come up with it but I bet they did.

I also hate the new(ish) Nova logo. I find it super lame. Nova and Smooth logos and design look identical to UK radio

The only logo I really like is MMM. And maybe KIIS. Oh and maybe JJJ…

6 Likes

The two best logos for a music station in Sydney was 2SM’s denim logo and every version of the MMM logo.

5 Likes