Hit Network

50 percent, possibly?

So full of it.

4 Likes

I have a neighbour who works at the Daily Terror and I got her onto the “Kyle smoking against the law story”. Unfortunately there is no such law. He cannot smoke within 10 metres of a playground or 4 metres of a door (“pedestrian access point”) but if he is on the roof and it is outdoors with no food being served he can puff on those Dunhills to his hearts content.

Mind you - after she started investigating the story I did regret telling her. It’d just be more publicity and another picture of Kyle wearing all black and smoking.

The ratings are out next Tuesday. All eyes will be on 2DayFM’s breakfast ratings. Surely 3.3% is an absolute low point. Surely?

1 Like

Interesting - because this is from one of our bosses:

“smoking is strictly prohibited within 10m of our building, or any commercial building by NSW law.”

From memory, Dan & Maz once sunk to a 2.7% - the lowest breakfast share for 2Day in over a decade?

1 Like

I know I am off topic here - but think about smoking in poker machine rooms in pubs. These smoking spaces are often within a building. And some of those rooms barely resemble what I would even consider as an outdoor space.

Not that I play the pokies. Apart from Lightning Cash. And 100 Pandas. And More Chilli.

1 Like

The implication would be 10m from the door - in the past it has been common for smokers to congregate right at the door which creates a wall of smoke for everyone to walk through and it wafts back into the building.

2 Likes

Rove & Sam’s ratings weren’t great, but IIRC they consistently beat both Dan & Maz and Em & Harley by at least a percentage point…

They might not be a powerhouse, but they might have broken at least a 5% share eventually…

For all their talk, it doesn’t seem like anyone making decisions at 2DAY really have any clue as to how to get the right breakfast team for Sydney - nor how to make them work.

And as much as they’ve talked about the ‘long haul’ they don’t seem to understand that Sydney is all about the ‘long haul’. There’s not a single successful thing in Sydney radio that didn’t tak at least a year to bed down.

5 Likes

According to today’s Herald Sun, Hamish and Andy will broadcast their final radio show on Friday, December 1, in front of a crowd of 7,000 at Melbourne’s Margaret Court Arena, with special guests Peking Duk and Vance Joy. Before that, the duo will travel around Australia on a private jet to farewell fans.

1 Like

Glad to see we’re getting the latest news here - this has been discussed on their show for the past 6-8 weeks

3 Likes

Good riddance to them. Another costly bungle by Regional Rhys who knew he was out the door. They weren’t needed for this final contract. Boring radio. Two years enough of them. Not a patch on M&M.

Here’s the smoking laws right here for NSW premises:
https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/

This is the legislation, not guff a boss somewhere says.

1 Like

Agreed. They haven’t been great since the mid-2000’s and even then they were only ‘great’ about 40% of the time…

4 Likes
1 Like

How are the ratings measured these day? Still using a ratings log book? Are other methods of listening included?

I must admit I listen to more radio on my phone and computer than an actual radio.

1 Like

80% is those surveyed fill out hard copy diaries. 20% fill out online diaries that can be accessed through tablets, computers and phones.

I am not sure how Em can claim 'We are the No.1 engaged breakfast show in Australia on Facebook and Instagram".

How did she measure this?

Maybe both her listeners have liked their Facebook page.

1 Like

I can see where she is coming from. I don’t even own a radio, but I’ve watched plenty of their stuff online.

4 Likes

Same here.

3 Likes

I am amazed that you don’t own a radio. But that is where we are heading. I suppose it was only 40 years ago that a person’s link to popular culture was the radio, movies and TV. Now it is the internet.

I have cut back on listening to the radio by about 75% in the last two years. Now its iTunes and Spotify. The only stations I listen to much are Radio National, 702 and KIIS.

I’m sure she wouldn’t have the same sentiments were the show rating…

Social media ‘engagement’ means very little. At best, it means that the very small number of people listening are very engaged in and committed to the show, but it does not necessarily mean that proportionately more people are listening than suggested through the official surveys.

Keep in mind that you don’t have to live in Sydney to ‘engage’ with the show on social media. In fact you don’t even have to live in Australia.

I agree that perhaps measurement of radio ratings is flawed, but I would suggest our system is better than the PPMs of the US. And more consistent than the RAJARs in the UK.

The world is evolving and there would be many households now that don’t own a radio. The only radio I own is in my car. I’ve not been given an actual diaried survey recently, but I have done market research for some of the stations and the questions are always along the lines of ‘what stations/shows’ do you listen to, for how long and at what times of day, rather than ‘specifically thinking of a traditional terrestrial radio, do you listen to it at all…?’

The surveys seem to still be a pretty good indicator of roughly who is listening to what when and for how long, even though they have potential flaws in the methodology. I think more importantly is shifting the ideas around what is done what that information. Once upon a time that’s all you had. These days, there are things like social engagement which can bolster your advertising pitches and revenues. I think it’s probably more pertinent to move away from a singular focus on the traditional surveys, but I don’t know that that means there’s a fatal flaw in the survey itself.

In terms of advertising, it probably takes a rethink of how you sell advertising space. Virgin Radio Lebanon, for example, has 13 million followers on Facebook, despite the entire population of Lebanon maxing out at around 6 million. And I’d suggest that not every single person in Lebanon likes them on Facebook. A ratings survey for them would find they have significantly fewer listeners. That doesn’t make it an inaccurate survey, it just means they’re good at the online stuff.

2 Likes

I feel bad for whoever fed Em the “most engaged breakfast show” line that she’s now decided to run with. Some poor online team member is desperately trying to find stats to justify the statement as we speak.

1 Like

I would suggest someone would have taken the opposition breakfast shows, taken a sample of around 5 or so posts, and divided the number of comments and likes by the amount of followers. Kyle and Jackie O have 1.5million followers on Facebook. If someone from online takes 5 posts that have 20 likes and 15 comments each and compares that to 5 posts from Em & Harley that have 50 likes and 30 comments each, given ~80,000 followers someone would make the leap that their audience are therefore more engaged with the content they push out. Doesn’t really mean a lot at the end of the day, and even if true, it’s a bit of a leap to suggest it means the entire radio ratings survey is incorrect…

3 Likes