Random Radio

if i was in sydney i’d go contemporary christian, teaming up with hillsong, using there brand (and yes i know they have a community christian station)

the station would play only christian music, no news simulcasts. would have an unbiased news on the hour. during the day it would play contemporary christian (artists like Colton Dixon, Jordan Feliz and Tauren Wells) shifting over in the evenings to worship (hillsong, Planetshakers, chris tomlin) for the night time wind down.

the station would have no pledge drives and minimal preaching during the week - short segments would be inserted - no more than 5 mins but the priority would be music.

saturday night would be all request, playing eveything from Meltdown (at Madame Tussaud’s) from 1984 to the latest christian hits.

sunday mornigs would be praise and worship, going into a recording of a sermon from hillsong.

3 Likes

Hmm interesting question. Maybe something like Absolute Radio or Radio X from the UK. Triple M wouldn’t be able to compete with these music orientated rock/alternative stations because they are only a part-time music station. If done well it would take listeners from JJJ, Triple M and even WSFM. Failing that I’d try a BBC2 format. I know some think Vega tried that but they didn’t really - at least not well. The music was too random and the talk was too heavy and just wasn’t done well like BBC2. BBC2 comes across as light and entertaining with mostly mainstream but a little adventurous with the music.

3 Likes

Brian68 - I never thought to introduce a rock station but then I forgot that Triple M is a sport / rock / talk station. You are right a total rock format would hurt MMM, WS and JJJ. It would actually “rock” Triple M to its core!

With some modern rock throw in it could also gain a few listeners from the hit stations.

2 Likes

The latest Melbourne Music Crossovers has been released by AirCheck: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/melbourne-music-crossovers

The biggest music crossover is between Fox & KIIS, followed by between Fox & Nova, with Fox playing more unique tracks than its rivals on both comparisons. Gold 104.3 plays far more unique tracks than Smooth when compared between the two, but its music crossover is small at just under 15%.

Lately at work I’ve been listening to Triple M every day because my co-worker closest to me listens to them .I have no issues with the music they play during a week day lots of old songs that I can sing along to.Theres too much flogging of certain songs though but they are playing more old rock hits from the 70s . :+1:

3 Likes

I’m pretty much the same. Apart from a bit of ABC Radio Sydney (702), I hardly listen to much of the radio, even when travelling around Sydney. Even the Central Coast & Wollongong commercial stations, including C91.3 Campbelltown, don’t really cut it as alternatives to me these days, whereas around a decade or more ago, I would tune to them from time to time.

If I was living in SEQ (Brisbane/Gold Coast), I would still listen to plenty of radio, thanks to the presence of Rebel, Breeze, River, 4KQ & Bridge FM. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When I visit the Gold Coast every January I always listen to Hot Tomato. It is 100% Gold Coast and it is an important part of my holidays.

I listen to KIIS in Sydney between 10am - midday so I can hear what new music to download. I don’t listen to Nova as Greg Burns is so not Sydney. I don’t choose 2DayFM as it’s too R&B - especially on a Friday…

At breakfast I listen to 702. So local. So good. If I need a laugh at breakfast I tune to KIIS, 2GB or 2SM.

in other news Grant Goldman (2SM breakfast) should really set his Facebook page to private. It’s borderline hate speech against muslims. This includes fake news reports from a news outlet that claims the UK is soon going to be an Islamic nation because of immigration.

Mind you Grant is the king of fake news. He was claiming months after the US election that Trump also won the popular vote. Cuckoo.

1 Like

This week’s AirCheck Music Crossovers focus on Brisbane & the Gold Coast: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/brisbane-and-gold-coast-music-crossovers

It includes:

• Nova 106.9 vs hit105
  • 97.3FM vs 4MMM
  • 4MMM vs 4KQ
  • Hot Tomato vs Sea FM
2 Likes

i have a digital bedside radio and the last time i turned it on to listen to it was when my net went down. it sits right next to a google home which i use to stream radio. in the car i listen to DAB (but this is declining now as well with apple music on my iphone)

the radio will be back on tomorrow for the test match (about the only time i actully do listen)

No excuse, however could be due to his illness? Would be on a lot of medication, so perhaps judgment is affected.

Thursday and Friday this week I was listening to Triple M at work when I discovered they were broadcasting the First Ashes test Aus vs England👎not happy.If I ever do listen to cricket coverage on radio (sometimes I do in the car) I will only listen to ABC .

3 Likes

Does normal music and drive programming continue on DAB+ for MMM ?

Cricket was on DAB+ in Melbourne.

1 Like

Leave sports coverage on AM radio only,cricket or footy,etc,it doesn’t belong on commercial FM radio :-1:

5 Likes

Southern Cross Austereo has launched a news service for Google Home. The bulletins will be updated several times during the day and are announced by various journalists on the SCA news team.

This week’s AirCheck Music Crossovers focus on Adelaide & Perth:
https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/adelaide-and-perth-radio-crossover-tracks

Pair-Ups:

• hit107 vs Nova 91.9
  • Mix 102.3 vs 5MMM
  • hit92.9 vs Nova 93.7
  • 96fm vs hit92.9
  • Nova 93.7 vs Mix 94.5

The bottom two is a strange pair-up. I would’ve preferred to see Mix 94.5 vs 96fm myself, which would’ve made more sense.

I think it would be Sydney’s turn next week, given that Melbourne, Brisbane/Gold Coast & Adelaide/Perth had theirs already.

Yes, and Nova vs Hit

In relation to @Laoma 's post here Digital Radio and @webguy 's reply, It seems that the rules regarding power levels were different under the ABA in the early/mid 2000s.

I say this as I recall Rhema FM Newcastle went on a fundraising drive to upgrade their transmitter facilities as they stated that they could lose their licence because they weren’t transmitting at the required power level.

Can totally understand community stations unable to broadcast at the required power. Needing to raise funds.

Does a commercial station have control what power the transmitter can broadcast at? Or could they lose thier licence if they decide to lower the power too much. Similarly are their standards on the quailty of the sound. Not being too compressed etc.

I understand some regional commercial station dont maintain their equipment enough resulting in poorer coverage. Like the super radio network?
Not sure how it works in the city. It seems the outsource their maintenance to broadcast Australia.

Logic would say all commercials should broadcast at the best quailty but its not always the case.

1 Like

Seems right for the AM sticks which have lost coverage in rural areas where is no increase of RFI.

FM however for Bill seem to boom often further than specs.

1 Like