Hit Network

no it wasn’t. 1971. By the rolling stones.

Unless of course you mean “The Horses”

1 Like

Still in 98th on the iTunes chart

1 Like

This has managed to go a long way off the back of just one song. An outside would think that 2DayFM have gone all classic hits based on some comments here.
It’s not uncommon for CHR stations to play a much older song from time to time as part of a special segment or whatever, particularly during personality driven shows. That’s all this was, and all it will be tomorrow or next week or whenever they play an old song again.

1 Like

Carrie and Tommy looks to be coming from the studio Ten News once occupied. May be wrong but looks like it’s a corner of the studio up there.

I’m not sure what it has been used for in the past, but it definitely is a TV studio, currently fitted out with a green screen.

This is what it looks like toward the radio setup:

And this is the other way:

3 Likes

Idk about you, but that’s 100% above board imo. The Horses is a classic song that most younger people love, especially when you’ve had a big night out at the uni tav with like 200 others - The Horses and Hey Baby are always chanted after party’s end. I guess 2Day are providing to their demos.

2 Likes

And Sydney’s No.1 station with 40 - 54 year olds is KIIS. Maybe 2DayFM is trying to lure this demo by mixing some older hits in with today’s Top 10. It could work.

Young people no longer listen to radio, and those that do listen to Triple J

Why do you think Smooth does so well?

Maybe it’s because the offerings are rubbish. Skewing older is not going to attract or make them come back anytime sooner.

There’s no innovation in radio any more. It’s all imitation. One station has success with a slight change in format, so all the others follow them so we end up with all of them sounding same same.

Yeah that’s gotta be the old ATV news studio before they moved down to the newsroom one.

Love that there’s half a Ten logo on the floor.

1 Like

Young people (10 - 17) in Sydney listen to Nova (22%), KIIS (18%) and 2DayFM (9%)

Triple J rates a lowly 3.6%

In fact the only capital city where JJJ rates above 4% is Perth. So Australia’s youth are pretty happy with the commercial offerings in radio.

1 Like

I will have to give 2Day a bit more of a listen if the music is skewing a bit older now… I wouldn’t have expected them to be playing songs that are more than 25 years old, it would be older than some of their target audience.

Look, I agree with you to an extent. But modern radio is first and foremost a music delivery medium. A large majority of people listen to it because it’s the easiest way for them to get their music. Shows are second, I guess.

But attracting younger listeners isn’t as simple as just content.

What you mean is that of the 10-17 year olds GFK could find to partake in a radio survey, they were happy listening to commercial radio.

38% of 10-24 year olds listen to Nova in Sydney. How does that translate to their overall share? Beaten by Smooth? 702? WS? KIIS? 2GB? Nearly beaten by JJJ even.

2DAY take around 20% of the 10-24 crowd yet Magic 2CH rate the same overall.

Young people don’t listen to radio anymore. You have some hangers-on in the 20-25 group, but you won’t for long.

Those under 20 weren’t brought up listening to the radio, always having the radio on in the car etc.
Those under 20 have been brought up thinking of Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora or iTunes before they think of 2DAY FM or Nova.

Radio will continue to do well with older formats as older people are those who still put the radio on in the car, rather than a podcast or their own music.

The one thing radio has going for it for young people is breaking new music. But it won’t for long.

Why do you think 2GB or 3AW are continually #1?

There once was a time when cool, young stations would be #1 overall. There was also a time when 10% shares were seen as awful. Now you can win with a 10% share.

Radio audiences are getting smaller and older. Find me a 16 year old who’s listening to Australian terrestrial radio more than their phone or the Internet. You won’t find many

Nova have nowhere near 38% of 10 - 24 year olds in Sydney. You don’t add the percentages up. You average them. According to your maths Nova have around 56% of the under 55s.

Approximately 17% of 10 - 24 year olds in Sydney listen to Nova.

Simple. 2Day is playing it because KIIS would most likely play it.

I just saw an ad for 2DAY FM on ELEVEN.
Features the 1996 Hit “I Love You Always Forever” from Donna Lewis…
Anyone else seen this? I haven’t seen it before.

Another sign to me that 2DAYs music is skewing a bit older…

1 Like

That’s only because we have more stations now fighting for those percentages? Top rating stations in markets like Melbourne in the 70s could get 20% shares but there were only 6 commercial and 2 ABC stations then. Now in Melbourne there’s 11 commercial, 5 ABC, 2 SBS and many community stations fighting for their slice of the 100%.

4 Likes

It’s part of the campaign launched in the second half of 2016 - it filtered through to the new regional hit stations in December and January.

The song itself is a cover released in 2016 that charted for a while, which I think managed to be worse than both covers of Tracy Chapman’s “Fast Car” released in the same year (but maybe that’s just me)

3 Likes

No. You’re right. All those cover songs were horrible. :laughing:

3 Likes