Hit Network

I think Osher is actually in Brisbane on Hit 105.its annoying when Abby,Stav and him are trying to talk over each other.Its too early to tell how they’ll go in the ratings yet.Maybe when the 'Bachelor ’ starts again this year he won’t be able to do the show.

Dan & Maz are starting their weekend breakfast show tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/DanAndMaz/status/690358620773548032

I am watching “Farmer Wants A Wife” with interest. There is a good chance that the winners will be hosting the 2DayFM breakfast show in 2017.

2 Likes

Personally, I wouldn’t be surprised to see SCA throw the chequebook at Kyle & Jackie O since I believe their contract with ARN expires at the end of the year.

They already tried it over the summer according to Kyle in one of those vengeful rants to a gossip columnist.

Can’t imagine any amount of money would be able to tempt Kyle back over.

If anything, doing so would only force ARN to meet SCA’s offering, which they would certainly do.

1 Like

SCA don’t want him back, the place’s whole mood has changed for the better since they were removed.

How is the mood about the ratings, though?

people there know it’s cyclical. Kyle’s not going to be around forever… things change. You just do your own thing and try and get the little piece of the market that you can.

Kyle is going to be around for a while yet I think.

SCA are not going to be content with “a little piece of the market” when there’s only a comparatively small number of stations in Australian markets, and certainly not when 2DAY’s share is now less than half of what it is was before Kyle left.

yeah but there’s a lot of talk around that he will sooner or later tire of what he does and move to a talkback format. Whether that happens or not…

if they can get a decent demo share, and a 6 or so overall, then they’ll be quite successful. As Fitzy says, Triple M doesn’t play the 10+ figures anymore. Sooner or later these stations are going to figure out that they can make their money by simply focusing on a specific part of the pie, and not the whole thing.

From Private Sydney in the Sydney Morning Herald.

Frosty Reception
A few questions have been raised around the corridors of Austereo’s 2DayFM about recently installed breakfast duo Rove McManus and his The Bachelorette star sidekick Sam Frost.

Lately, listeners tuning into the show have heard the likes of Rove’s associates Peter Helliar, Tom Ballard, Wil Anderson, Cal Wilson and Stephen Curry chattering away with Rove, eating up whatever air time was left for fledgling radio star Frost.

Rumours have also been flying that Rove’s other great mate, Carrie Bickmoore, has also been asked to join the show, from a studio set in her Melbourne home and for some seriously big coin.

Yeah I’m thinking it won’t be long now. She’s a lovely girl but yes, she will be the one they will blame the ratings on and they will bring in Pete or Carrie in to the show permanently.

I’m sure that Sam Frost is an absolutely lovely person (no comment on how good/bad she is as a radio presenter because I don’t listen to much breakfast radio generally) but I have to agree that unfortunately she’ll be the one who’s blamed for the ratings if they aren’t up to scratch by Survey #3.

Nat Bassingthwaite co-hosting with Rove & Sam this morning, probably testing out possible replacements.

They really should have had Sam co-hosting with Osher over the summer rather than Heather Maltman to give her some more on-air time, although I don’t think it would’ve helped that much.

Maybe a threesome would be better, or just new co-hosts every day. Who knows with 2DayFM anymore, seems like they don’t either…

Pretty long cycle…

Not while he’s still commanding the money he’s on…
Also, I can’t imagine Kyle would be happy chatting to old fogies…

I somehow think that the station which used to be the biggest station in Sydney won’t be content with being #3 or #4.
Yes, there’s money to be made with a specific focus… But not as much as if you have the big numbers…

1 Like

On page 24 of today’s Telegraph is another story about the rumours that 2DayFM is going to try and lure Kyle and Jackie O back to the station in 2017.
For the life of me (and as a SCA shareholder - albeit a small one) I still cannot understand why 2DayFM created the Rove and Sam show. Sam has no radio experience and the duo have no chemistry as they hardly know each other. I would get the Rove and Sam show as a 10pm - midnight show but as the station’s Sydney breakfast show?
One of the strengths of Kyle and Jackie O is their “snapchat” at 7am. They simply take open line calls. It’s spontaneous and funny. Both of these attributes are non-existent on the Rove and Sam show.
2DayFM know how to promote Rove and Sam as there are billboards and posters everywhere. TV ads as well. They simply have not created a breakfast show that makes me want to listen to it on the drive to work.
I reckon the closest 2DayFM were to having a successful show to replace Kyle and Jackie O was when Sophie Monk was doing brekkie in 2014. Unfortunately they teamed Sophie up with three other announcers (including Merrick screaming for 3 hours every morning) and this drowned her out.
Rove is expensive. And I am sure SCA are expecting more than a 3% rating in the coming months. It is possible that the show will not even achieve a 3% unless it becomes more listenable in the next week.
The Daily Telegraphs story this morning does not help the show gain the confidence of advertisers or listeners (the subheading is "Bachelorette’s Ratings Struggle) and this is only week 2 of the first ratings in 2017.
As everyone says “Sam is a lovely person” and from all accounts she is just that. Of course she would sign up for the breakfast shift of a major FM station. No one is trying to attack Sam.
However it does seem like the third breakfast show since Kyle and Jackie O is in trouble. Simply because it sounds awful.
Dare I say it is worse than Merrick, Jules and Sophe with Mel B and Dan and Maz.
Mediaspy is a pretty good barometer of how radio stations succeed and I am not reading a lot of contributors who are praising the show.

All this continued talk doesn’t make sense seeing as Mark keeps telling us everyone at 2Day FM is happy that they aren’t there. For people who are happy they are sure desperate to get them back. I think we could all be in for a shock and that they will return to 2Day FM. I reckon they’ll give them so much pay and free reign over the show.

And The Tele reports that SCA did not return the paper’s calls for a comment on the rumours. If I were SCA I would have denied the rumours and praised Rove and Sam. The story was also accompanied with a picture of Kyle and Jackie O clinking champagne glasses. You would almost think that the Daily Telegraph was owned by ARN.

truth hurts… there will be a mass exodus there if they were brought back.