Hit Network

It really is a poor changeover/launch (or lack of). For it to launch as a “summer only” show and then just carry on is strange… particularly when the whole team behind the show is the same as the Shazam Top 20. Maybe they had issues renewing the agreement with Shazam… unless the shazam brand is becoming too old for their young audience maybe.

I never like the Shazam Top 20, however in my opinion the problem was Angus. He came across as arrogant and especially when he was hosting on his own would often come out with comments that skirted very close to the line, particularly for a show aimed at teenagers. I found Smallzy’s surgery on Nova to be a far better show, with far more focus being put on the music rather than inflating the ego of the host.

It also seems like a strange thing to publicly state that Emma is the co-host only for the time being… nothing like instilling a sense of stability in the show.

Must be setting himself up for a future breakfast slot on Kiis. :stuck_out_tongue:

Back at work today after the Xmas break. I was forced to listen to Hit 105 ALL day because I’m working in a different section.the music is CRAP ,heard some songs about 3 times today,R and B and Old Skool all day,There’s this announcer whom sounds like his voice hasn’t broken, whom goes by the name of ‘Buzz’.They were over promoting their new breakfast show that starts next Monday,how 'Osher ’ is a Brisbane boy etc,enough already👎

1 Like

Yep, that’s how Top 40/CHR radio works.

How else do they expect people to know that there’s a new breakfast show if they don’t tell people?

Welcome to commercial radio.

One day we’ll go back to having real content on the radio during the day, rather than announcers telling us how much we should love a song they’ve already played 6 times in the past 6 hours, and how much we should love the incredibly average breakfast show.

Sometimes I wonder if there’s a point to daytime announcers other than not sounding like the station’s totally automated outside of breakfast and drive times.

Oh, and to be able to sell live reads at inflated rates.

I agree. Why don’t they just go back and use the old countdown name they had for the regional areas “The Hit List” That would work in well with the re band plus rolls of the tongue quite well.

They’re using that for their loyalty services; what used to be 2Day VIP, Fox VIP etc.

I like it. The Hit List sounds way better than Hit 30.

104.7 in Canberra has now officially rebranded to HIT1047

Listening to Emma Freedman on Hit 30 & Take 40, I actually prefer her on these two shows rather than The Scoopla Show.

I found this article interesting, in particular this part:

"Emma is currently filling in temporarily on hit 30,” said Dave Cameron, head of the Hit Network. “We are yet to make any any talent /show announcements regarding nights on hit network in 2016.

“The Shazam agreement ran its term, and we are looking forward to announcing something exciting for 2016 in its place.”

Seems as though The Hit 30 as a show name and format is only temporary, no surprises there with the lackluster changeover from Shazam Top 20.

I heard Hit 105’s new breakfast show this morning( not by choice)with ‘Osher’.Does anyone know if he actually was live in Brisbane?Doesn’t he live in Sydney?

As far as I know he’s still based in Sydney, with his now fiancé Audrey & her daughter. He mentioned on air this morning that he stayed in a Gold Coast holiday unit over the weekend… one might assume he might be renting something temporarily or hasn’t found something up here yet.

Regarding the new line up with Osher, having an announcer as well when you’ve got 3 hosts is far too many. I guess he’s there to account for when Osher has other commitments like Bachelor/Bachelorette. I want to say I can see this working, but I can’t sadly.

They really neeeed to have taken a better direction than “The Bachelor’s Osher Günsberg”, everyone knows him for that. This is radio, talk about his excellent guest interviews (podcasts) or his work changing the stigma of mental illness and talking his own battles etc. They’ve gone overboard with it, give it up already.

The whole ‘$1million dollar rose’ competition they’re running already to potentially change one persons life screams tacky to me too, just like when Wake Up (TEN) gave away a million dollars to 1 person who actually watched their show. That money could be invested better elsewhere and $100k given away and still have the same result / ratings effectively.

I wish they would do something with that dingy looking studio also, was hoping they’d do something to it during the summer. Paint those ugly maroon walls, get some new lighting and add some TV screens behind the hosts - all of which wouldn’t go astray.

Have noticed that for the past couple of days Rove and Sam have had an extra person join them after 7am. Yesterday was Peter Heillier and today is Tom Ballard.

I really think this is the way to go, even if they don’t have a permanent co-host I think it’s a very good idea to keep rotating the 3rd person. The show has sounded much better the past couple of days.

Gemma Fordham, content director of Hit Network, in radioinfo today discussing what she wants from breakfast. Incremental increases, saying the show already sounds much better and that tracking and internal auditing is going well.

It just proves that they need to bite the bullet and replace Sam with someone who actually has radio experience. :disappointed:

Gemma Fordham, CD of Hit Network on radioinfo:

“I think that there’s a lot. I’ve seen such a positive reaction in terms of not only the traditional things behind the scenes in terms of tracking etc. Also seeing them on Social. They work so hard and they’re both really passionate about it and they want to win. They stick around after the show. They plan the show with the team and work really hard over the weekend, in the evenings, at all angles of their brand. It’s not just about the three hours on air… and I know that everyone talks about this but it’s a really rare thing to have talent that genuinely want to work their arse off.

“And just hearing the content like comparing them from week one to today. if they continue to grow at that rate, it’s already exceeding my expectations, then it’s going to be very happy days.”

1 Like

Mornings on 2DayFM rate an insignifiant 1.9%. I would bet that the station is not making much money from the ads in the morning. They should go “ad free” and play a massive non-stop block of hits from 9am until midday. Take down a few of the Rove and Sam ads and replace them with posters promoting the 3 hours of non-stop music each weekday.

The first survey of the year has begun and 2DayFM are doing what they have done for the past two years - promoting a new breakfast show (which is average at best) and keeping their fingers crossed.
The station needs every single ratings point to give it momentum.

Non-stop music every morning will get them a a competitive advantage over Nova and KIIS and a genuine point of difference whilst promoting the “hit” nature of the station.
“All Hit” “100% Hits” “Ingredients: Hits” “The Hit Frequency”

I fear they are relying on Rove and Sam / Hamish and Andy and in a market with three Top 40 stations that is not enough. Sydney listens to Kyle and Jackie O at breakfast and Nova and KIIS at drive. More of Sydney’s listeners would switch in the morning to a non-stop hit station - including shops and people in their cars. Especially every time that Nova or KIIS took an ad break.

And with a 1.9% share in the morning there is dead set nothing to lose.
And it would actually shake up the management of Nova and KIIS. At the moment Rove and Sam are KIIS and Nova’s greatest asset.
And it would refocus the attention on 2DayFM’s playlist.

what you’re suggesting was first done in Australia back in 1996-97 with the then struggling NXFM in Newcastle - they relaunched it Jan 1 as “Continuous Hit Music” and had a 40 song playlist (not joking, Breakfast at Tiffany’s was top of hour every freaking hour) and then launched the “180 Minute Music Marathon” from 9am. After that, they slowly broadened the playlist over the course of a few months, launched a decent breakfast show and continued to build momentum.

So in summary - your suggestion is full of merit and should be done! :slightly_smiling:

Yeah, but don’t forget Mark, the market competition in Newcastle got weaker & weaker from there, not stronger, as in KIIS, WSFM & Smooth FM in particular.

I still maintain to this day, both KO & NX would be in some bother, if god forbid, NEWFM was sold, or money was thrown at it, & programming was overhauled.

KO & NX aren’t necessarily outstanding programming, it’s just they’ve got no competition, & are the best of what’s available.

Austereo are struggling right around the country with their hit network stations (not just those named “Hit”), & it’s early days, but you’ll probably find Nova will come up in Melbourne this year & FOX will start to struggle too, if there was any decent competition in Newcastle I think you’d find NX back on struggle street too.

Doing what NX did & what nickatnights is suggesting, probably won’t work in metro Sydney with strong competition from other commercial stations & Triple J.

A small playlist with high repetition & no ads sounds like a good idea, but that’s what iPods are for, (iPods didn’t exist back in '96-'97 when NX did that), & the young target audience, will listen to what they want on an iPod, before they listen to Top 40 on high rotation on 2DAYFM every day of the week.

The advantage that hit radio has over an iPod is that it introduces listeners to new hits. Hits that they can later download onto their iPod. Radio sifts through hundreds or new releases and chooses to play the best of the best (and Bieber). It’s why Top 40 radio has outlasted vinyl records, CDs, Walkmans and tapes and now iPods.

Mark HD - I also remember that the former vega / Classic Rock and Sydney’s 95.3 (now Smooth) also went ad free between 9am and noon a few years ago but it was to no avail as the music and programming were all wrong. I don’t think that 2DayFM going ad free in the mornings would solve everything but it should lift that 1.9% rating to something a little less embarrassing. The station is less than 2% away from an asterisk in the mornings.

I agree with RFBurns about the Newcastle market. Right now I am on holidays on the Gold Coast and Sea FM is pretty dull. It rates up here because of the lack of Top 40 competition. In a city as unique as the Gold Coast it amazes me that Sea FM sounds exactly the same as 2DayFM in Sydney. No wonder Hot Tomato is giving SCA a run for its money - Hot Tomato is original - it’s logo, music, announcers with real radio voices (not teens waiting for their voices to break) and slogan all scream “Made on the Gold Coast”. Hot Tomato show exactly what NewFM in Newcastle could do to SCA in that market. Easily.

I have to admit that I did listen to 1008AM (and the races) for a few seconds yesterday. A little reminiscing about the heritage station - Radio 10 - always good for the soul.