Hit Network

Maybe Sydney-siders don’t care from which city the breakfast show originates.

Take Peter Moon’s input to the Morning Crew as an example. Mind you - I never knew that Peter was in Melbourne.

Yet after the publicity this week (including on both of Sydney’s newspapers and smh.com and news.com) a lot of Sydney is now aware that Em is in Melbourne. It’s not exactly a reason to listen.

I am not in Sydney this week. Is the city plastered with Em posters?

(I am assuming the 16 543 Rove and Sam posters have been taken down).

Maybe the new posters should read 'Who is hosting the 2DayFM breakfast shift in 2017? Listen from 6 - 9am to find out"

1 Like

No.

The lack of billboards is interesting. The three previous breakfast shows, including Rove and Sam, were plastered around the city by the end of January and throughout the year.

In 2014 I remember sitting in a cafe in Newtown and everything went dark. We looked outside. It was a massive mobile illuminated billboard for Merrick, Sophie and Jules with Mel C. It was so big it had blocked the sun. The billboard had caused a frikken eclipse.

I suppose with Em they are letting the show “bed in” before they promote it.

I am listening on line this morning. There is very little ad lib - everything is scripted. Pity as I can’t hear Em’s personality.

They could lose the fake laughter booming in the background so you think the show is funny (even though you can’t quite work out why the crew are laughing); there is a forced laugh on average every 12 seconds. How much do you reckon these people get paid who sit in the studio and laugh out loud? No a bad gig although it would be exhausting.

In all honesty this show sounds just like Dan and Maz. Except Em speaks five times as fast as Maz.

On line they are promoting Em’s discussion of why she joined in the March Against Trump. This sort of political statement is not usually heard on for FM breakfast radio. Good on management for allowing this discussion. This is a real point of difference between Kyle and Jackie O or Fitzy and Wippa.

Now lose the fake laughs.

4 Likes

Now that you mention it, I’ve noticed that there has been a steep drop in billboard advertising for 2DAY since a few years ago. They used to have every second billboard plastered with their logo around 2014.

With regards to where the show is actually hosted, I seriously doubt that anyone in Sydney gives a rat’s arse that something is hosted in Melbourne. I recently noticed that some of my friends didn’t know that Hamish and Andy and Hughesy and Kate were based in Melbourne. They genuinely thought they were locally produced shows.

Now, if it was the other way around with a Melbourne radio station broadcasting a show sourced from Sydney, they’d cop 100x the flack that Em copped earlier this month.

1 Like

I agree, Sydneysiders don’t seem to care as much about something coming out of Melbourne, not when compared to Melbourne about a show coming out of Sydney.

Good scoop.
Now officially confirmed: http://www.radiotoday.com.au/news/whats-new/10333-sunday-breakfast-on-the-hit-network-will-be-a-constance.html

Will definitely be pre-recorded. There’s no way she’s getting up at for what would be 4am start in Perth.

Weekend Breakfast with Ryan and Tanya has started today on 2Day FM.

2 Likes

Is it any good?

So far so good. A lot of songs in between chat though. I’m talking 3-4 per break.

And does this mean SeaFM Central Coast listeners get Bree and Gawndy 6 days a week, except on the 6th day the announcers are unable to mention the station name, etc?

1 Like

Tuned into hit105 Brisbane and Weekend Breakfast with Those Two Girls are sounding good so far, this is their second weekend on air and they seem to be plugging into the Mum demographic which will probably suit the flow into the new Sunday show to come.

They’ve mentioned the show is live a few times, which is good obviously because under the previous arrangement with weekend Breakfast networked nationally from Sydney or Melbourne we would often be on an hour delay throughout the year.

1 Like

Yep, for the half the year for nothing local. Have they been on a development show on late nights or a regional station?

Not that I’m aware of; this is their first dabble in radio.

1 Like

Were Rove and Sam on? Didn’t hear them and I tuned in at 7:45pm.

Yup they sure were.

Brisbane daytime presenters Buzz & Lindsay are both moving to Fox FM & 2Day FM respectively.

Oh? Who is Lindsay replacing?

Not sure, she is only on-air a couple of times a week in the morning and has been the music director I believe for a few years now.

This morning after 7am on 2DayFM with Em and Harvey:

Em: Miguel from “The Living Room” is coming in later
HUGE LAUGH FROM THE BACKGROUND
Harvey: That will be interesting
HUGE LAUGH FROM BACKGROUND
Em: I am going to imitate his accent
Harvey: Oh no

If there is a real push for this show to succeed 2DayFM should:

• Lose the fake laughter
  • Let Em and Harvey talk a little slower
  • Let Em and Harvey be themselves

This type of over-produced show may be a hit in LA, Vegas or Miami but it grates on audiences in Australia. It’s like a 1960s laugh track. Forced laughing makes genuinely funny parts of the show harder to recognise.

P.S. I know his name is not Harvey. There has been such a lack of promotion of the new show that I bet 94% of Sydney-siders could not name the male host of the 2DayFM brekkie show. I should have googled it this morning but I need to grab a flat white before I start work at 8am. Apologies to Harvey.

CUE: HUGE LAUGH FROM BACKGROUND.

According to today’s Herald Sun, a purpose built studio will be set up at The Project’s offices at South Yarra, so Carrie can switch between the radio show and The Project preparations easily. I reckon that means the show will be live on Fox and 2DayFM.

1 Like