Hit Network

Fergo’s still at Seven tho /s

4 Likes

Wonder if Rove & Sam will remain a pre-rec, that’d be a sweet gig. You’d think they’d give them 6-8 or 7-9 at least and bump H&A De ja vu or Ash London Live, unless of course this is a wait 2017 out until contracts expire show only.

1 Like

They sound alright from the national show, not my thing but I can see how they’d work, especially in Sydney.

Except Seven is just behind Nine, not coming eighth in the timeslot. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Horrible headlines. Makes you wonder why they didn’t announce this in the middle of the silly season where it would have been less noticeable.

2 Likes

Yes not good timing, but that would’ve required actually knowing who’s replacing them! (I’m guessing they didn’t confirm that until quite recently.)

Here is my summary of the 2DayFM breakfast Show:

• 2012: Kyle and Jackie O - Sydney’s No.1 FM breakfast show for ages. SCA let them slip through their fingers. Along with the duo go 600 000 Sydney-siders.
  • 2013: Merrick, Sophie, Jules and Mel C - the Fraggle Rock of breakfast shows. What the hell were they thinking? Four hosts who had never worked together and Merrick yelling throughout a breakfast shift. This was bad from day one and still a mess by the end of the year.
    2014: Dan and Maz - Who? There was some potential here but the duo were overproduced. And billboards with Gen Y’s pulling silly faces are not authentic. This was OK from day one but Dan and Maz were not allowed to be themselves and it got progressively worse.
    2015 - 2016: Rove and Sam - Rove is not funny on the radio and he was teamed up with someone who had never worked in radio. No chance. This was bad from day one and show few signs of improvement after 2 years.
    2017 - I have no idea who Em is. I am sure billboards all over Sydney will let me know that she is the new host of the 2DayFM Revolving Door Breakfast Shift. Let’s hope she is not overproduced and forced to laugh out loud every 20 or so seconds. Let Em be herself. If she has the personality it might work.
    If not then I am sure Gemma Fordham will sing the praises of yet another new breakfast show in 2018.
    For the past four years the only thing funny about the 2DayFM breakfast show has been the number of times a new show is launched. It has the hallmarks of a UK comedy series about a failing FM radio station.
    I am hoping that the new show works. If it doesn’t I am worried that Ben Cousins is the only celebrity left who has not hosted the show. Mind you, Ben Cousins for Breakfast? It would rate higher than a 4.
3 Likes

It is Sydney, after all /potshot

1 Like

Seriously? How can you have not heard one of Em’s shows before now. And you act like you’re an expert on radio? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’ve heard of Em Rusciano and Harley Breen before.

But I’m not quite sure that mainstream Sydney is aware of them. Ask people on the streets if they know who Em & Harley are and you’ll probably get a lot of “Who?” responses.

2 Likes

Does that really matter though? People knew who Rove was and maybe a lot more people knew who Sam Frost was because she was just on a reality show (or two) but that doesn’t mean they could make good radio together.

2 Likes

Which is probably a good thing. It means people will have to tune in and hear what they have to offer before passing judgement.

4 Likes

I am a Sydney-sider. I have not heard of Em. Mind you I had never heard of Dan, Maz, Sam or Jules before either.

With 2DayFM as the consistently lowest rating radio station in Sydney for the past four years I am pretty sure that many Sydney-siders would not have heard of Em.

This is 2DayFM’s focus now. To introduce me and 4 200 000 other people to Em. Here come the TV ads and billboards. Everywhere.

Good luck to Em.

Until now I thought Em was the letter after “L”. I am sure that the billboards being printed right now will advise me otherwise.

It’s Em in the AM on FM.

3 Likes

You just need to experience more life has to offer.

Don’t give up your day job. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There was a time when ‘people on the streets’ would have said the same thing about both Hamish & Andy and Kyle & Jackie O.

Building the ‘celebrity’ of a radio person takes time. They’ve both been heard on Hit so are not starting from 0 - though really this tactic didn’t work too well with Dan & Maz.

But let’s be real: how long did it take Kyle & Jackie O to build their profile? (Keeping mind they were on the biggest station in the country at the time). How long has it taken to build Fitzy & Wippa’s profile? And where do they rate?

Unless you’re the biggest station in the country (as 2DAY FM once was) it’s going to take more than 10-14 months to build profile and build a show… in Sydney anyway.

Going into year four since KJO on 2DAY and breakfast show #4.

I’ve said it before many times but Rove would have been fine or even good if done right.

The problem with Sydney breakfast is that it’s Sydney breakfast. The #1 show in the #1 market in the country.
Feels like there are too many eyes, too many cooks etc. too many opinions and ideas of what the people of Sydney supposedly want…

Kyle & Jackie O have always played by their own rules and that’s why they’re #1.

With Em & Harley, you’ll at least have two quite good radio people. Hopefully it will work.

Personally, I’d love a return to genuine laughs in the morning as per Martin & Molloy and even Meshel, Tim & Marty.

For me, actually being funny goes a lot farther than putting a couple of people with a small profile on-air to talk about the old lady that stole their bicycle or the slightly interesting thing they saw at a supermarket that they’re passing off as totally whaacky and running call-ins on ‘the wacky things you’ve seen at the supermarket’

5 Likes

Em Rusciano has been a social commentator on various television programs so more than a few people would know of her. That guy, never heard of him before.

2 Likes

They’re both also comedians so… here’s hoping. Should be fun to listen to if nothing else

Where’s that Yosemite Mark guy who usually gets really angry at people for slagging of his beloved SCA? Maybe even he’s struggling to defend them now.

FWIW I had never heard of Em Rusciano before her national summer cover stint nor Sideshow Harley either - and I’m both a radio geek and comedy fan.

So what happened to the last two hours worth of comments on this thread? Censored?

I’m not seeing any deleted or edited posts, aside from yours (adding “censored” on the end)

1 Like