Hit Network

1 Like

No word yet on where this will be broadcast from. Em and Harley are Melbourne based, and it’s very short notice to move - so it would be unlikely that they would be 100% Sydney based initially. But surely they have to move to Sydney to be taken seriously and be able to generate Sydney centric content.

Also, as much as SCA have extensive studio facilities in Melbourne they would struggle to find the space to operate 3 major breakfast radio shows with large productions teams at the same time on a regular basis.

3 Likes

My bad. The same conversation was happening in I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here!.

1 Like

Would hardly say it’s too late notice. They’ve got two whole weeks to move, and will surely be put up for possibly that entire time (or longer) by the network.

Regardless, I’m sure Melbourne has more than two whole studios for the entirety of SCA…

Realistically, they could spend the next two weeks prepping between Melbourne and Sydney as they move - weren’t they just on summer breakfast? Will they need to do much prep?

Or maybe they’ll dump Fifi Fev and Dave as well and run the same breakfast show in Sydney & Melbourne :thinking::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Both of them have families, so they couldn’t possibly move to Sydney in 2 weeks. Of course they will be put up in accomodation for a while, and may work between locations, but if it’s a big upheaval still. Harley’s partner is pregnant and they moved into a new house only 12 weeks ago.

[quote=“amc_556, post:617, topic:71”]
Regardless, I’m sure Melbourne has more than two whole studios for the entirety of SCA…
[/quote]True. I think they have about 16 on air studios in Melbourne. They are definitely able to use some of these to work remotely, Ed Kavalee for example regularly does Triple M Brisbane breakfast from Melbourne. However, for an entire show to operate, there are several producers and other staff making up a breakfast team of approx 10 staff, if not more. They need a large area to work close to the studios, to answer phones, prepare content etc. - SCA does only have 2 of these such areas in Melbourne - one for Fox FM and one for Triple M. The areas for the other studios are only suitable for 1 or 2 people, such as smaller pre-recorded shows.
Of course a lot of these producers would have to be based in Sydney, but that would be a struggle if Em & Harley never broadcast from Sydney.

My point is that I hope they have seriously thought about how this will work. While there are ways to make remote broadcasting work, and it does work well in some cases, we are talking about the toughest gig in radio and a show that realistically needs to significantly build it’s audience in 12 months to be worthwhile. I fear that this will be difficult to do and connect to Sydney audiences without the hosts spending significant amounts of time in Sydney from day one. I’m not saying that it can’t be done, I’m just saying that it just adds to the challenge and it will be interesting to see what happens.

I do however think that Em & Harley, and their show, are one of the best options for 2DayFM. They have a show they has had excellent response from listeners, particularly their target demographic, and they are willing to push the boundaries more than other recent offers have.

I hope for Em & Harley’s sake that this works, because based on past hosts, they are unlikely to still have radio careers if it doesn’t.

3 Likes

2DayFM’s successful breakfast program with Wendy Harmer and Peter Moon, didn’t Moon broadcast exclusively out of Melbourne for the nine years he was with Harmer? I recall that Harmer and Moon disliked each other so being in separate cities worked.

1 Like

You must listen closely???

1 Like

I was able to ascertain the same information in 2 mins just by looking at his Instagram (@harley.breen)

3 Likes

“The Em Rusciano Radio Show with Harley Breen”

That’s a mouthful. People might say “Did you hear Kyle and Jackie O this morning?” or “Did you listen to Fitzy and Wippa?” No one is going to say “Did you listen to the Em Rusciano Radio Show with Harley Breen on your way to work?”

Here is my suggestion: “Today with Em on 2DayFM” / “2Day with Em on 2DayFM” or even just “Em and Harley”

Any other suggestions?

2 Likes

Harlem Shuffle?

7 Likes

The first part was a mouthful even when it was her own weekend show, let alone adding another person.

They should be equal in the show name, Harley & Em sounds fine in my opinion - the other way round just doesn’t roll off the tongue as well I reckon.

1 Like

They could easily have two side-by-side studios - one for Em & Harlee on-air, the other to produce from. Off-air prep could be done in a boardroom/meeting room (temporarily at least). Your phones person could (and probably should) be based in Sydney…

It’s not ideal, but far from impossible. There are plenty of breakfasts shows around the country that operate with decent-sized production teams that don’t have any dedicated space.

I take your point, but I’d counter that working out of Melbourne, at least temporarily, would allow the team to focus on making great radio content without the added pressure of group execs and the CEO down the hall…

Exactly this. If you look at Nova - Fitzy & Wippa, Meshel/Kate, Tim & Marty, even Smallzy; all came through the ‘talent incubator’. Imagine if Tim Blackwell wasn’t Tim Blackwell with 15 years of experience, or that the show hadn’t been put together and done well in Brisbane before moving to national drive. I doubt it would be #1.

It baffles me really - SCA have so much talent across their network yet they appear to be afraid to take the risk…
Will & Woody, Stav & Abby, hell even Bree & Gawndy or those two guys from Albury…

You got Heather Maltman and Dan Anstey heading to the Gold Coast… Dan Anstey at least could easily be a part of a Sydney team…

Surely this can’t last. Part of me likes that we’re departing from name & name but you shouldn’t replace it with something extremely difficult to say…

You’d be better off with something like ‘2Day breakfast with Harley & Em’ - at least then they can be colloquially known as Harley & Em…
At least then when the show inevitably changes, it can become 2Day breakfast with new name and new name
Maybe takes the sting out of another whole line-up change if you can come up with a more generic show name…

3 Likes

At least they are calling it a “Radio Show”

That distinguishes it from a TV show, movie or even a circus act. It will prevent confusion.

3 Likes

You need all the help you can get. at your age. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It will be come the end of the year.

What is the current schedule on 2Day Hit 104.1 Sydney?

Is it just me or doesn’t that co-branded name sound so weird?
I remember ages ago it referred to on-air as “104.1 2DAY FM”, so thought SCA would’ve/should’ve called it “Hit 104.1 2DAY FM”.

I think they do use “Hit1041 2Day FM” on air.
I’ve never heard it as “2Day Hit1041” …
I agree that would just sound a bit clunky, but even the current name is a bit overly long.

I think they’ve found themselves caught in no mans land. I thought the original plan was to dump the 2DAY FM brand entirely and just be known as “Hit1041”, but somewhere along the line and for some unknown reason, they’ve decided keep the 2DAY name (same for FOX in Melbourne) but are still wanting the network “Hit” brand in there as well, so now they’ve got this overly convoluted name, which I don’t think is helping their ratings.

OK, yeah I think they didn’t want to just drop the well-known names for 2Day & Fox but ease in the Hit brand, but when I looked at the logos (& names listed there) for both on SCA’s website they seemed to be weirdly the wrong way around just to have the old names more prominent in the logos.
I guess we’ll have to wait & see if they ever dare to actually drop the 2Day & Fox names entirely.