Hit Network

That’s what is most annoying. They’re obviously Aussies doing a fake accent. It’s cringeworthy and the most annoying thing about the station. Especially when they’re talking about something to do with Sydney, Australia or your local area.

It makes me flick to another station. Why do they feel the need to do this?

5 Likes

Imagine if one of your friends walked around with a fake American accent - it would be so annoying.

Yet so many Australian FM radio stations think it’s OK.

These are some samples of old Australian station jingles - many of them recored in America. So out of place on this continent. At 32 seconds you get to the first Australia-made jingle and it’s for 2NX - and it sounds fantastic. At 1.10 - 2WS - unmistakably Australian.

I used to think it was because we could not record them in Australia - lack of talent or studio facilities. It’s actually just laziness. The smooth jingles are recorded in Australia - it’s obvious and they sound great.

The 2DayFM jingles are jarringly American. So many Australian radio stations do not have enough confidence to sound Australian.

3 Likes

Here’s a vintage long 2DAY FM jingle

4 Likes

Some of the recordings of these stations sound like they are being received by Eskip going by the fading.

1 Like

It can’t be that. They are recorded in Australia with Australian voice over artists. I know first hand that many of them refuse to do those jobs when they are for the Australian market.

But as with anything, a lot of them are struggling actors and can’t afford to knock the work back. Money talks.

3 Likes

I meant the jingle packages not the voice IDs.

Most of the jingles used to come from PAMS in the US. Now Reel World seems to dominate.

I suppose they are mass produced and low cost compared to the local alternative.

4 Likes

I think you are 100% correct. With these companies like ReelWorld, PURE Jingles, Brandy, Sonic Spring, Wisebuddah and the list goes on and on. They have packages ready to be re-sung and customised with a very fast turnaround. But you end up with an inferior product that may not even be used for a year.

4 Likes

Yes - many of the recordings I made on that vid are from Eskip and other DX enhancement.

3 Likes

Really like the SAFM jingle as the staion name suits the jingle. Can’t say I like the Fox ones though.

4 Likes

I agree, the FOX versions are putrid. A lot of these sung jingles are like that, the words don’t match the music.

2 Likes

Fox and B105 seem to be using the same log today.

4 Likes

Who is the male v/o in the first promo?

1 Like

That’s Phil Lentz. He still does voiceovers for a few stations. 107.3 HFM in Perth, Territory FM in Darwin (last time I listened, at least).

2 Likes
4 Likes

Just air Gawndy and Maz.

8 Likes

Agreed, 2DayFM breakfast is pretty much a lost cause while there are at least four stronger programs on rival Sydney FM radio stations.

If SCA really want a personality led breakfast program back on their Sydney Hit Network station, they might as well go the cheap option and simulcast the Hit Regional NSW brekky show while they continue to wait for the KIIS/Nova/WSFM/Smooth brekky presenters to retire.

6 Likes

RT reckons Jamie Angel and Julia Morris

2 Likes

I definitely agree they should keep Jamie Angel in the mix.

Surely Marty Sheargold has been tapped on the shoulder. I know he’s denied it, but anything is possible.

1 Like

I can’t him going to 2Day FM, nor doing 6-9am shifts.

3 Likes

Because the question had to be asked eventually, who will present 2DayFM Breakfast in 2021?

• Jamie Angel and Sophie Monk
  • Jamie Angel and Julia Morris
  • Grant Denyer & Sophie Monk
  • Grant Denyer & Julia Morris
  • Another combination of washed up TV personalities
  • Daniel “Gawndy” Gawned and Maz Compton/Ash Pollard - Hit Regional NSW brekky show simulcast in Sydney

0 voters

I would’ve added “A genuinely new/exciting Sydney breakfast radio show” as an option, however with 2DayFM’s recent track record in mind that’s very wishful thinking.

4 Likes