Historic News Events

Seven News Brisbane coverage of the Queensland Floods from 13 January 2011

1 Like

30 years ago today - Australia saw 24 hour rolling news coverage across networks.

10 News Gulf War coverage starts Jan 1991.mp4_000059600

1 Like

Except for probably the moon landing, I reckon that was one of the first “rolling news” coverage events? I don’t think we’d ever seen such saturation and ongoing coverage for a news event before?

3 Likes

Yes this was the first time for 24 hour coverage.

4 Likes

Pretty much put CNN on the map around the world as the preeminent cable news broadcaster for rolling coverage. I remember it vividly as this occurred on my birthday.

3 Likes

It was also great exposure for that new ten logo that had just been rolled out the week before.

1 Like

How did 7 got the feed from NBC for their rolling coverage of the Gulf War?

2 Likes

Seven took NBC coverage including Today show with an occasional cross to a Seven reporter overseas.

2 Likes

Nine took CBS and ABC including Good Morning America.

10 also had BBC News

ABC + SBS also had coverage

3 Likes

NBC News Channel?

1 Like

The news was tightly control by the “coalition” forces but CNN had the advantage of having Peter Arnett in Baghdad who was able to report live the first wave of the attack on the city.

1 Like

International News feed for overseas affiliates - slide slipped through during coverage.

2 Likes

Also used by AFRTS - armed forces radio and television service. All the networks provided news feeds (incl radio) with bulletins and programs that could be rebroadcast to the troops.

2 Likes

I was at work on that day and I remember we were crowded into one of the meeting rooms that had a TV and we were watching Ten.

2 Likes

The coverage also notable for familiarising Australians with Bobbie Battista (who died last year):

4 Likes

I don’t recall what I was doing on that day but I do remember consuming a lot of the coverage by channel surfing across all channels.

The CNN coverage was by far the most compelling. Peter Arnett’s reports were gripping so Kerry Packer was right to be furious about Ten having the advantage of exclusive access to CNN and Seven surely regretted letting their access slip away after they’d exposed Australian audiences to the CNN style of reporting during the News Overnight years.

Arthur Kent, a Canadian working for NBC News who gained the nickname “The Scud Stud”, was another standout reporter I enjoyed watching.

3 Likes

The Granville train disaster happened today in 1977.

This is how I heard the news as I was listening to Ian MacRae on 2SM that morning.

4 Likes

Does anybody remember if the ABC had the rolling coverage 24 hours as well? I’d imagine that would have caused some concern from those trying to avoid the coverage or with small children etc… Now it’s easy with all the networks having multiple channels to keep alternative programming on or children’s programming but I know for us back then we only had ABC and Southern Cross and Play School should not have been stopped for anything!

1 Like

21 January 2017

Also see.

3 Likes

January 29 - Space Shuttle Challenger exploded 73 seconds after blast off from the Kennedy Space Center. How did Australian networks cover this. From my research I’m aware that TODAY broke into programming and aired President Reagan’s address. But that is all that I’ve found. My interest in this disaster since I went to the Space Centre in Houston before COVID led me to think how did Australia cover it.

1 Like