Historic News Events

It’s 1981, and CNN interrupts a report about China with some dramatic news out of Washington:

5 Likes

Some rare finds from YouTube. Australian TV news coverage of 9/11. I’m aware of other videos however these have only been posted in the past month.

6 Likes

The video starts at 2:10am local time, which was 12:10pm in New York.

1 Like

There is a small portion at the end of one of the video with 7 simulcasting CNN on the afternoon of 12 September 2001 in Sydney. Ann Sanders can be seen briefly.

3 Likes

ABC News coverage of the collapse of the Westgate Bridge, 15 October 1970.

Newsreader is Bob Willcox, announcing the Melbourne bulletin is being broadcast to all states – a new possibility as it came only a few months after the opening of the national microwave link between east and west Australia.

Source: telerecordings

ABC’s online coverage this week of the 50th anniversary includes an interview with Martyn Goddard, the reporter in the above footage:

7 Likes

… speaking of the West Gate Bridge, my YouTube algorithm has now presented this video posted in 2013.

It appears to be a collection of reports from ATV0’s News At Six on the bridge’s opening in November 1978. Including newsreader Bruce Mansfield and reporters Malcolm Gray, Ralphe Neill and Paul Jenkins.

YouTube: VicRoads

4 Likes

And the obligatory corporate film that every big project seemed to have in the 70s and 80s. Featuring cameos from Ric Melbourne doing an OB for 3DB, David Jones doing a traffic report from the 3XY helicopter, a snippet of 3AK and glimpses of the ABC TV OB van.

Courtesy Documentary Australia on YouTube.

3 Likes

Incredible to think that the city has now outgrown the bridge and they’re building a tunnel to accommodate.

1 Like

And considering the upgrades it’s had over the decades

Same with the City Loop :wink:

I had a look at the Westgate Bridge Disaster: The Untold Story on 9Now last night and it really brought home the scale of the disaster. I was aware of the collapse as an issue related to the history of workplace health and safety in this country but the accounts conveyed by the relatives and friends of those directly impacted were harrowing.

Interesting to hear how extensively it was covered by television in those days through the story of John Setka who, as a six year old, had been sent home early from school and was looking for the afternoon cartoons on TV not aware he was watching images of recovery efforts broadcast by all channels, that his father had narrowly survived the collapse and how the event would shape his future.

Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 3.44.03 PM
Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 3.45.40 PM

It strikes me looking at those supers that Dotty turned 50 this year.

Bridge opening 1978.

5 Likes

I had forgotten about this show, you’ve just reminded me to watch it… :slight_smile:

1 Like

NBC’s coverage of the 1989 San Francisco earthquake – with lots of dipping into live coverage from local affiliate KRON:

1 Like

And here’s the same earthquake as it happened live on television – the picture begins to break up at the 4:17 mark as the earthquake hits during the World Series:

3 Likes

Brisbane News of the earthquake.

2 Likes

And this is how the earthquake was covered by German-language Swiss television:

CNN’s coverage of the crash of Space Shuttle Columbia, 2003:

1 Like

Seven Brisbane’s coverage of the 2010-11 Queensland floods

3 Likes

Ten and Nine’s coverage of the London 7/7 Bombings in 2005.

Initial reports on Ten:

Stories aired on Ten and Nine the following day:

2 Likes

Special Seven News Perth bulletin aired at 9:30PM AWST on 11 January 2011

Nine News Perth 6PM opener also on the same day

3 Likes