Historic News Events

It was 2003 though i have more recall of Gulf War 1.0 in 1991

Yes, but the 2003 war in Iraq may have over shadowed the Columbia shuttle disaster.

I remember it well. It all happened late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. I was on the air that Sunday afternoon at the old Hawkesbury Radio and it was discussed at length with my co host at the time. Just a day or two earlier, the Waterfall train crash south of Sydney happened. Both stories were quite prominent in the news.

2 Likes

I remember turning on the TV and watching Weekend Sunrise or whatever it was at that time and saw it on there. I thought it was live but it might not have been. Either way, I definitely remember watching it and the news for the few days following - certainly wasn’t wall to wall coverage like the September 11 attacks or anything like that.

1 Like

May 4 1996 newsbreak.
Port Arthur reopens after massacre

3 Likes

Seven News Adelaide tonight.

1 Like
1 Like

i grew up learning about Ash Wednesday as a kid so shocking when i saw the reports a few years ago

1 Like

Ash Wednesday was one of the first big news events I remember as a kid. I only vaguely recall TV coverage being of news breaks during the evening. Rolling coverage certainly wasn’t a thing! And the next morning watching cartoons there were news updates being scrolled along the bottom of the screen which i don’t think I’d ever seen before. I guess a primitive ticker! And I think but could be corrected that it was a newspaper headline the next day that linked the term Ash Wednesday in relation to the fires, coincidentally on the religious day of Ash Wednesday.

3 Likes

Australian networks / stations didn’t really do rolling coverage until the 90s. Prior to this it was just extended news updates and I suppose an additional bulletin put together.

I would say internationally the first large news event to experiment with rolling news would have been in 1991 with The Gulf War.

And then locally we saw the networks slowly adapt to rolling news coverage here with the Thredbo Disaster in 1997.

9/11 really set the precedent for our networks to introduce rolling news coverage. From this point it became the norm and expectation. Plus advances in technology and news operations have made it far more easier.

3 Likes

The Gulf War in 1991 saw simulcasts with US networks CNN, ABC America, CBS and NBC on our networks with 7 having full access to NBC and 10 simulcasting CNN

1 Like

Seven News’ coverage of the dust storm that blanketed Melbourne 40 years ago today.

YouTube: 7NEWS Australia

4 Likes

So Ash Wednesday was just after the 1983 Melbourne Dust Storm?

Two big events.

1 Like

Yep. I remember the day of the Dust storm. I was at school. I don’t recall it being as dark as other areas of the city had but at home we saw everything outside was being tinted in brown as the dust settled

2 Likes

I wasn’t around
 but I’ve heard stories. My mother was a teacher stuck in a music classroom during the afternoon storm. It would have been a big event for the evening news that night.

2 Likes

The Sydney Lindt Cafe Siege will feature in an upcoming episode of Code One on 22 Feb. Includes content from TMS that morning and the evacuation of the news room etc.

3 Likes

Looking forward to that one, purely for the archive footage.

1 Like

There is already full CNN coverage on YouTube posted a few months ago

1 Like

Going to be fascinating to go behind the scenes on what happened at the Martin Place studios that day.

3 Likes

i remember this day well i was leaving my house to go somewhere when the news broke, was this Australia’s first terrorist incident since Russell Street in 1986?

2 Likes