Historic News Events

Seven’s coverage came from Perth when the siege was at its dramatic conclusion in the early hours of 16 December 2014 due to the evacuation of Martin Place

1 Like

Why didn’t they use Melbourne or Brisbane? Or an OB?

1 Like

I think some also came from Melbourne IIRC.

2 Likes

Where was Chris Reason broadcasting from that day? You can see him in another studio in the same clip I posted.

1 Like

It was Chris Reasons first day back after a long break. He reported with Larry and Kylie on TMS before it moved to Melbourne with Nick Etchells due to Martin Place being evacuated. Later in the evening at around 6pm, NSW Police allowed Chris Reason and a 7 cameraman back into the newsroom. Chris Reason did a number of live crosses from here. The 7 cameraman provided a feed with close ups to NSW Police. Both Chris Reason and his cameraman received awards for their coverage (as well as a Logie).

2 Likes

Stumbled across this while digitising my tapes
During broadcast of 1999 Football’s Funniest Moments of the Millennium - a ticker came across the screen.
John Howard would announce Australian peacekeeping forces to East Timor.

3 Likes

Another Ticker interrupting the footy.
1991 Sydney v North, Foster’s Cup broadcast is interrupted when PETER LANDY crosses to PRESIDENT GEORGE BUSH’S live announcement that General Schwarzkopf will use U.S. ground forces to enter Kuwait. (Here’s a montage I created from my tapes)

6 Likes

My goodness, that 1991 afl match looks like what nrl is now. Ahaha

2 Likes

Well it was played at the Canberra Raiders’ stadium! :joy:

2 Likes

20 years ago today, a large bushfire began in the western part of the ACT. The two-week long fire eventually destroyed large parts of forest and plantations in the area, as well as 470 houses in Canberra’s western and southern suburbs plus the Mount Stromlo Observatory. Four people died.

1 Like

I seem to recall WIN Canberra quickly scrambled together continuous coverage late that afternoon.

1 Like

Win broadcast a local edition of win news canberrra on that day.

10 news Syndey also had a report

Channel 9 footage at the time from Rick Moran 9s Bureau Chief in Canberra.

A emergency alert from ABC Canberra which was broadcast in the Afternoon.

2 Likes

That raw vision from Rick Moran is absolutely harrowing - if you’ve ever listened to some of the fire scanners on Broadcastify during the summer you may well know some of the terminology used by the fire response controllers but in all my years streaming such scanner feeds I’ve never heard anything as scary as this when they’re on the radio to one another.

I was only about 14 at the time so I don’t remember a lot of vision from the actual events but I do remember feeling awful in that a lot of the places we visited on a school trip 2 years prior for Centenary of Federation 2001 like Stromlo observatory etc were pretty much burnt out and gone.

3 Likes

I remember seeing raw footage in the TCN archives when I was doing work experience. Harrowing is the word - without V/Os or a soundtrack, the roar of the fire in the background is deafening and the stress in the firefighters’ voices is evident and very understandable.

4 Likes

January 28 1986: Space shuttle Challenger exploded 73 seconds after lift off killing all 7 on board: CNN coverage of Space Shuttle Challenger explosion 1/28/86 - YouTube

3 Likes

The Challenger accident was on the next day Australian time. A special news bulletin was added to the late night line up in addition to this 6pm one.

2 Likes

The Columbia disaster was 20 years ago. Due to time difference, news coverage occurred the next day

2 Likes

i was 11 that March but i have no memory of Columbia at all oddly enough

Tbh I was 31 and i have no memory of it either

1 Like

Same… I can barely remember this event.

I think 9/11 and resent events prior to this happening might have had an affect. If I’m correct, we were about to enter a war in Iraq at the beginning of 2003?

1 Like