Historic News Events

I worked in the same building as Sunrise when this happened and was about 20 minutes away from going to the Lindt Cafe for a morning coffee when it all kicked off. Interesting to reflect on it now that a few years have passed.

5 Likes

Russel Street isn’t considered a terrorist incident, you may be thinking of the Turkish Consulate bombing later in 1986?

But even then there were terrorism incidents between that and Lindt Cafe.

2 Likes

Yep.

1 Like

This Thursday (February 16) marks 40 years since Ash Wednesday bushfires hit South Australia and Victoria. 47 died in Victoria and 28 died in SA.

Here is Ten News’ report of the Victorian scene at that time.

1 Like

Ash Wednesday fires were the 16/02/83.

2 Likes

According to Mal Walden’s book… this bulletin was a changing point for 10 News in the 80s. I believe they were one of the first stations to obtain actual vision on the fires for their 6pm news.

2 Likes

Thanks for the correction.

There will be a commemoration ceremony at the Ash Wednesday Bushfire Education Centre at Cockatoo today.

3 Likes

The dust storm was the precursor to Ash Wednesday.

Just as the 2009 heatwave was the precursor to Black Saturday.

Both happened about a week apart from each other.

4 Likes
2 Likes

my mum immigrated here the day before, she watched it live

1 Like

Approaching 40 years from Ash Wednesday, from his book Newsman, Mal Walden’s reflections on the day in the Seven newsroom:

2 Likes

Mal pointed out later… on how 10 News Melbourne (out off all the local stations) was the staring light on that day . Ten were very much ahead of the game with their helicopter vision, crews and recourses. He also makes reference that a few decades later (2009) Seven News Melbourne mirrored 10s performance on the night of the Black Saturday Fries.

4 Likes

That’s what happens when there is money to spend and thrown into news operations, as happened when Murdoch took it over, and at the time Ten was rewarded with great ratings out of it – finally ending years of coming well behind its older rivals.

3 Likes

Agree. It really did set up 10 News in Melbourne (within the 1980s) where it often challenged and took out no 1 spot against Nine News Melbourne. If only Paramount could see the light today… and add some much needed funding into its newsrooms.

2 Likes
2 Likes

the day after Ash Wednesday, The Don Lane Show hosted a national telethon in a link-up to other Nine network and regional stations and live crosses to phone rooms in Sydney, Adelaide , Brisbane and Melbourne.

YouTube: Laurie Basile

4 Likes

The Sun’s bushfire coverage with the headline Ash Wednesday… possibly first coining the name that the day would forever be known by.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CotfbX6vuGT

1 Like

Parts of GTV-9 News Melbourne covering the aftermath with the late Brian Naylor

2 Likes

I went through Macedon a few weeks back… hard to image it like that now.

1 Like

+6 hours unlisted YouTube uploads of ABC Federal election coverage from 1996.

https://australianpolitics.com/

6 Likes