Hey Hey It's Saturday

The (very) last episode of Hey Hey airing in 2010. When the show ended there was an auction merchandise from the show with HHIS not included in 9’s 2011 upfronts. Fittingly this very episode was also the last to be filmed at Studio Nine

3 Likes

Nope. That honour goes to Shane Warne’s much forgotten talkshow.

4 Likes

At the end of that clip was the start of the LIGHTS, CAMERA, PARTY - TELEVISION CITY CELEBRATES special for Bendigo steet. Wonder if anyone has that in full?

4 Likes

Read today on Facebook that Des McKenna (a.k.a. ‘Animal’) has passed away in the Chaiyaphum province in central Thailand.

1 Like

When did the last episode of Gonged But Not Forgotten air?

1 Like

Not sure. Somers-Carroll hasn’t released them on Hey Hey TV.

They have actually. But the info page for them doesn’t come with a date.

According to the information I can find, “Gonged But Not Forgotten” was a series of eight half hour specials hosted by Peter Rowsthorn which originally aired on Nine at 8.30pm Mondays over the Summer non-ratings period of 1999/2000.

I’d guess that these may have been shown to fulfill some sort of contractual obligation between Nine & Somers Carroll following the axing of Hey Hey It’s Saturday. Airdate wise…

Episode 1: November 29, 1999
Episode 2: December 6, 1999
Episode 3: December 13, 1999
Episode 4: December 20, 1999
Episode 5: December 27, 1999
Episode 6: January 3, 2000
(Not in the schedule for 10/1/2000 due to Pakistan vs India ODI Cricket from Brisbane)
Episode 7: January 17, 2000
Episode 8: January 24, 2000

4 Likes

The website has all 26 episodes.

Further research has found that Nine aired twelve episodes of “Gonged But Not Forgotten” on Monday nights (either at 8pm or 8.30pm) between July 27 and October 12 in 1998.

Not sure exactly when the first six episodes aired at this stage, but chances are I’ll figure it out eventually while finding an airdate for something else!

1 Like

Wikipedia says it was launched 20 July 1998.

Ahh, you’re right. TV guides for that day list Gonged But Not Forgotten as a “New Series”! And a closer look suggests there weren’t any episodes aired on August 24 or September 14/21.

Following the 1998 and previously mentioned Summer 1999-2000 runs, it seems the remaining episodes of “Gonged But Not Forgotten” were burned off over Summer 2000-01:

*Saturday December 9, 2000
(Not in the schedule for ​16/12/2000 due to Australia vs West Indies Test Cricket from Adelaide)
*Saturday December 23, 2000
*Saturday December 30, 2000
*Saturday January 6, 2001
(Not in the schedule for 13/1/2001 due to West Indies v Zimbabwe ODI Cricket from Brisbane)
*Saturday January 20, 2001
*Saturday January 27, 2001

…with one ep marked as a repeat on 3/2/2001, at least in the SMH Guide for that day available via Newspapers.com.

Despite using the Sydney guides as my resource, those Summer 1999/2000 + 2000/01 airdates should be applicable to most (if not all) Nine stations + affiliates in the AEDST timezone. It’s quite possible that the one or two unaccounted for episodes aired in non-AEDST states or nationally if the cricket finished early/was rained out, but I’m not in a position to check that at the moment.

4 Likes

Thanks for the information, SydneyCityTV.

2 Likes

Question: What song/tune did Ossie Ostrich Lip-Synch to while Daryl Somers stopped him from Doing in the 90’s?

Surviving episodes from Cartoon Corner and The Daryl & Ossie Cartoon Show can now be watched on the HHIS website.

2 Likes

Glad they have this in their vault.

1 Like

I’m not sure where to put this but there is some great behind the scenes vision of the Hey Hey Reunion set in this set of videos.

It’s the lost tapes of GTV-9 - The final set tour just before they tore it down.

7 Likes

Great find…. Thought this was lost.

Ernie Carroll, the creator, puppeteer and voice of Hey Hey co-host Ossie Ostrich has passed away today aged 92.

From the Hey Hey It’s Saturday Facebook page:

God bless Ernie (Ossie Ostrich)
It is with overwhelming sadness I announce the passing of my beloved friend and mentor Ernie Carroll.
Ernie passed away peacefully early this morning in the presence of his family. He was 92 and died of natural causes in his unit at a Mornington retirement village.
Ernie was a pioneer of television starting back in the 50s, coming from a radio background to GTV9 when television was in its infancy.
It was a voyage of discovery as no-one really knew how television worked. It called upon the many talents of all involved. In Ernie’s case he was a cartoonist, camera operator, sponsor liaison officer, producer, writer, on camera character playing Professor Ratbaggy and, as himself, illustrating and narrating the adventures of Joybelle in the kids shows he also produced out of GTV9 in the 60s. He wrote comedy for the King of variety television, Graham Kennedy, on ‘In Melbourne Tonight’.
Of course he was best known for his creation of Oswald Q Ostrich (Ossie), my lovable and nonsensically funny ‘sidekick’ on Hey Hey It’s Saturday for 25 of its 30 year run. A tribute was paid to Ernie on our recent 50th anniversary special.
I am so grateful for Ernie’s early guidance of my career. He auditioned me for the hosting role on Cartoon Corner back in early 1971.
He was a man of few words with a quiet countenance but when he did speak he imparted great wisdom.
I loved him very much and along with my wife Julie send our deepest sympathies to his daughter Lynne, son Bruce, his grandchildren and his partner of almost 50 years, Miffy Marsh. The family have requested privacy at this time.
Rest in peace Ern,
Forever in my heart,
Daryl

13 Likes

Very sad news. RIP Ernie Carroll

9 Likes