Hey Hey It's Saturday

Hey Hey! :stuck_out_tongue:

There are talks that Daryl would like for another return of Hey Hey It’s Saturday.

As much as I loved the revival, I’m just not sure how well this would hold up (again). What did the show average in the last comeback? (Not the reunion).

They’d have to change the format around to fit audiences in 2016.

2 Likes

Please no!

Can daryl and his massive ego fuck right off?

7 Likes

It could work if Daryl produces the show off camera and hands hosting duties onto a younger crew.

Keep Plucka, and the Fyfe cartoons, but there should be new talent. Definitely not the likes of Russell Gilbert or even Molly.

5 Likes

That’s not a bad idea. I like the format - and on a Saturday night. A vehicle for visiting celebs and live music etc.

7 Likes

A Hey Hey comeback would work. But yes with fresh new talent and ideas. We are missing a variety type show and would fit well on Saturday nights I think. I’d watch it.

5 Likes

really as long as the old bunch don’t return PLEASE

3 Likes

Even Jo Beth on I’m A Celeb was talking about it tonight and even she said “You need to move on Darryl, do something else”

1 Like

A nice thought but he would never agree to that. He seems only interested in keeping the old guard on. The rest of us have moved on, though.

3 Likes

well if you can’t do the math… :wink:

1 Like

Yeah I laughed at Jo Beth’s comments on I’m a Celeb that Darryl needs to move on.

Although I like Parano1a’s suggestion above that if it returned to start with a young and fresh cast that is maybe produced by Daryl. Even give him just a minor role or segment in the show to keep him happy. We do lack light entertainment shows on Australian television.

Didn’t the 2010 revival series of Hey Hey It’s Saturday get ratings around 700k or even lower towards the end?

Anyway, for what it’s worth I actually think that the concept of variety television (especially if it’s live) is still a good idea these days. It’s got to be better than yet another cooking/reno/talent show, right?

I also wouldn’t be terribly surprised if Nine decides to revisit the concept of variety television sometime in the short-medium future, especially with Seven supposed to be doing Sunday Night Takeaway (which I think is a variety format) sometime in 2016. But I think that Hey Hey It’s Saturday should stay as a part of history.

700k for a 2 hour show on Saturday would be a great result these days, and probably even the #1 show for the night.
The last episodes of Hey Hey 2010 did rate poorly however they were delayed until 10pm or later in NSW/QLD when Rugby Union games aired on Saturday nights.

5 Likes

I thought this was an In Memoriam for Red Symonds, then realised it wasn’t.

1 Like
2 Likes

Not to be picky, but I’d reckon that’s from The Daryl Somers Show not HHIS.

Anyway, what’s Martin’s point? The D Gen had a rather cosy relationship with Burke, appearing on his programme a number of times.

1 Like

This is Lucky Phil.

2 Likes

I recall seeing an interesting prime-time program on the ABC a few months ago. One of the episodes talked about classic Aussie TV, and this show was featured.

Regular Nine personalities Hamish and Andy stated something like “This was were every Australian got their entertainment fix before the internet and other stuff came around.”

3 Likes
2 Likes

Anyone remember when this HHIS special went to air?

1 Like