Hey Hey It's Saturday

The show will be dumbed down to be suited to today’s TV audience. Will be a flop. Won’t be the same as the original version and the 2009 reboot plus 2010 series.

3 Likes

Yes, a one-time special. Thank you for the clarification. Post amended. :slight_smile:

Do you know what would rate?

A genuine 20 to 1 of Hey Hey’s most breathtaking moments.

Here’s No. 4

or

1 Like

Video unavailable
This video contains content from Somers_Carroll, who has blocked it from display on this website or application.

1 Like

Yes, I’d say for monetisation.

Just open it in YouTube.

1 Like

Does Daryl own the rights to the footage or would 7 have to license it from 9?

pretty sure Daryl Somers owns it outright

I believe Daryl’s company Somers Carroll Pty Ltd owns all rights. There is a Hey Hey subscription based website where you can view previous full episodes.

Update: The current business name is actually “Somers Enterprises Australia Pty Ltd” as Daryl Somers bought out former partner Ernie Carroll’s (the puppeteer/voice of Ossie Ostrich) share in the business a few years back.

Also - Seven have actually aired “Best of Red Faces” specials before in the early 2000s.

3 Likes

No wonder he seems to constantly try to get Hey Hey back on the air in some form.

Would be interesting to know if he owns the rights to early Hey Hey content before it hit Primetime (1971-1983). Plus that year at ATV-0.

Presumedly this is still owned by Nine (and Ten) and would need permission to air on another network? Perhaps he paid them a fee.

Also be good to know the legalities around the “Hey Hey It’s Saturday” IP name. Perhaps they can’t use that name on the special.

2 Likes

I think he does but I believe very little apart from a few snippets still exists from before the show’s return in 1979. As for The Daryl & Ossie Show, Wikipedia says his production company made the show but I think it was actually a Reg Grundy production. Whether Somers owns the footage or it’s now under Fremantle Media, I’ve no idea.

EDIT: The Daryl & Ossie Show was a Reg Grundy production The Age - Google News Archive Search

3 Likes

A holiday special from 1974 is one of the few things that survived from the early days.

Sadly, no footage from The Daryl & Ossie Show is on YouTube.

2 Likes

That would actually be a good idea perhaps as a 7+ steaming special compilation, maybe as a companion piece to whatever is planned for the anniversary special.

There could be outrage if it actually aired on tv (although it is 7, so wouldn’t put it past them)

Give people a reason to keep the 7+ app, if they didn’t delete it yesterday at the end of the Games.

2 Likes

Story about the Hey Hey 50th special coming up on Weekend Sunrise this morning.

Hopelly its gets posted on youtube

9 posts were split to a new topic: Hey Hey We’re 50

Archival discussion can continue here.
There might be some crossover.

1 Like

I was just watching some old Hey Hey clips from their official YouTube channel, and all of a sudden, the channel page became a broken link. I went back to my watch history to find some of the videos I had just watched, and it said they had all been privatised…

They want you to sign up to their own page instead? :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:

2 Likes