Here Come The Habibs!

The show has great production values. Too bad it resorts to cramming in every stereotype you can think of and is not funny.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’d probably have to agree with that. The production standards were fine, it’s just the fact that so many stereotypes were cramped in and it wasn’t funny.

Wow - I though the complete opposite about the production values. The continuity was very poor. Plus how dodgy was that fence that they were supposed to cut down. It was so unstable that you could see the wire wrapped around the posts to try to stabilise it :grinning:

Apart from that, though, I thought it was badly written and not even slightly amusing. Some of the characters were potentially likeable but one episode was enough for me.

1 Like

Just watched it on 9Now…oh dear.

The problem for me was that the whole thing was just too absurd. It went beyond stereotyping, people just don’t behave in that way.

It’s a shame because I think a comedy that did capture the essence of the east and then threw in something totally alien could be very, very funny.

1 Like

[quote=“TV.Cynic, post:43, topic:556”]
Plus how dodgy was that fence that they were supposed to cut down. It was so unstable that you could see the wire wrapped around the posts to try to stabilise it[/quote]
I think you missed the point. They moved the fence past the easement and so just erected it there with wire wrapped around the light post.

1 Like

That’s exactly what they should have done. If they had taken a leaf out of the book of Upper Middle Bogan it could have worked well.

1 Like

comedy is so subjective these days that I don’t think a mainstream comedy will ever work, especially on commercial television where you live by the ratings sword and you die by the ratings sword.

I loved it… I laughed all through it.

1 Like

I too enjoyed it. I hope 9 persist with it. That and The Embassy are the only 2 programs I watch on 9 these days. Until the NRL starts anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

1.25m 5 cap cities

Bloody hell!

I saw that. Well Nine will be happy. Can it hold up is the question?

I guess if you air controversial content people will watch.

Despite earlier reports, the Habibs are a Christian family. Not Muslim.

Bit disappointing

They were always were supposed to be. If it was written up anywhere otherwise it was just part of the hysteria whipped up as publicity for the show.

If that’s what the producers wanted, why didn’t they just make the Habibs a Muslim family?

Would have been a lot more interesting

Doesn’t add much to the story apart from whipping up more “controversy”. The original idea was actually going to involve an Aboriginal family. It was pitched by a producer and was actually based on his own life experience when he won the lotto and moved his family into a posh neighbourhood.

I’m not sure if it was the production company or network that changed it to a Lebanese family. I guess they thought that concept would create more interest.

I just finished it. It’s not bad, it isn’t great. But props to Nine for trying a local sitcom.

I think the straight-man in the cast - Elias - has the potential to be the main character trying to hold everything together. At least, that’s the only way I can see the show sustaining an interesting storyline.

The show could have had potential if the Habib family didn’t have such exaggerated accents. You hear the actors falling in and out of their accents at times. I have to rewind and turn on the subtitles to understand some lines.

Just in - renewed for a second series :smiley:

http://thefix.ninemsn.com.au/2016/03/07/10/50/fix070316here-come-the-habibs-renewed-for-second-season

‘HERE COME THE HABIBS’ BACK FOR SERIES TWO

Here Come the Habibs launched with a bang, immediately cementing itself as Australia’s No. 1 comedy, and all of our favourite characters will be back for a second series, the Nine Network announced today.

The first episode attracted a national audience of almost 3 million viewers (including encore screenings and catch-up streaming on 9Now) and the smash-hit comedy has proved enormously successful with harder-to-reach younger viewers, ranking as the No. 2 program with People 16-39 for each of its four episodes.

Here Come the Habibs has now reached a total of 7.593 million Australians across the four episodes that have aired.

In a joint statement, Nine’s Heads of Drama, Jo Rooney and Andy Ryan, said: “After 15 years without a new comedy on commercial TV, Australia has fallen for the Habibs. We’re delighted to bring back the Habibs and their uptight neighbours for another series of comedy, chaos and multicultural mayhem.

“It has been a joy to work with producers Jungle and our amazing cast, and we guarantee audiences even more laughter and controversy in series two.”

Here Come the Habibs, produced by Jungle for the Nine Network, was created by Rob Shehadie, Tahir Bilgic and Matt Ryan-Garnsey. Production on series two will commence later this year.

1 Like

I’m glad that nine have picked it up for a second series. It has done quite well. I haven’t watched an episode yet but will watch it when the series is over.

1 Like