Here Come The Habibs!

This week’s episode is the first one I thought had a lot of laughs and some good writing. The whole thing is still way over the top but this one was entertaining.

1 Like

6th and final episode tonight. At just 6 episodes there wasn’t much risk in commissioning this series. I wonder how many eps the 2nd season will get. Might depend on the ratings for tonight given the drop for last week.

1 Like

Returns Monday 5 June at 8pm

Australia’s favourite comedy, Here Come the Habibs, returns for a second series on Monday, June 5, at 8.00pm, after True Story with Hamish & Andy on Channel Nine.

The O’Neill business empire, Bonza Biscuits, has been beleaguered by “Anzaclava-gate”, which leaves Jack (Darren Gilshenan) and wife Olivia (Helen Dallimore) unable to pay rent to their all-time rivals, the Habibs, who purchased their home, much to the annoyance of Olivia.

In episode one, Toufic (Sam Alhaje) has returned from Lebanon, where he hiked the Chouf Mountains like his father, and has finally become a man. The O’Neills, after many late rent payments, are minutes away from departing on their New York trip to reignite Bonza Biscuits when a suspected Ebola outbreak ruins their plans and keeps both families quarantined in the Habibs’ home for 21 days.

Meanwhile, love is still in the air for Elias (Tyler De Nawi) and Maddie (Georgia Flood), with both too scared to tell their respective parents of their blossoming relationship, because they’re always at war.

Throughout the series, Toufic (Sam Alhaje) puts his brains before his looks, continuing to come up with more crazy ideas to grab the attention of everyday Aussies and turn into the celebrity he knows he deserves to be. The Fundertakers is one new idea he concocts with Jahesh (Rob Shehadie) – putting the fun back into funerals – along with Wog-a-Long, an ethnic rent-a-friend service.

In this series, Here Come the Habibs will also see a kidney failure diagnosis, marriage proposals, a documentary on racism, and even the possibility of a truce.

Here Come the Habibs is produced by Jungle and Ronde for the Nine Network and based on an original concept by Rob Shehadie and Tahir Bilgic with the assistance of Screen Australia and Screen NSW.

1 Like

Nine’s program director Hamish Turner has told TV Tonight the show is not returning.

Not unexpected. It was terrible in so many ways.

3 Likes

It’s unfortunate, for a mainstream mass-appealing comedy I always thought this was quite good.

4 Likes

:open_mouth:

I’m good friends with some of the cast and its always disappointing when something doesn’t get another season. I thought there were some terrific episodes and I hope Nine continues with sitcom as a genre.

I hope they do but I hope they don’t make anything that looks as forced as this did. I think there were only a few episodes that I consider were good.

I can’t say I’m surprised to hear that Here Come The Habibs won’t be returning.

Aside from the fact that it was an awful show (I gave up after one cringeworthy episode), Nine probably didn’t want to renew the show with Rob Shehadie and Tahir Bilgic focusing on producing “Street Smart” for Ten more recently.

Which is probably a result of them already knowing that Nine weren’t going to renew Habibs and wouldn’t be picking up their new show, I doubt they shopped it to Ten first given their existing relationship with Nine.

3 Likes