HD Broadcasting

Wouldn’t the watermark then have Now on it?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that one is only used for the on-demand clips and not any of the live streams.

2 Likes

Times are tough for media execs at the moment - clearly can’t afford to upgrade to a MPEG 4 TV that receives 9HD :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m sure he would have seen the show via the screens that 9 have made available and was just tweeting along to generate interest on social media.

6 Likes

There’s talk in some of the other threads about NPC taking over playout of Seven’s metro stations in the last 24 hours.

Nine only recently launched 9GemHD which is played out from NPC. Do we now hold our breath waiting for 7mateHD to launch soon?

2 Likes

I can’t see how given how many multichannels 7 has. Unless they plan on making everything MPEG4… otherwise I don’t see how.

7 Likes

SBS seem to manage similar though with 3 HD, 3 SD and radio channels but I believe they are using a different QAM guard interval parameter in their DVB-T multiplex which allows up to 25Mbps.

What bandwidth does Seven have?

2 Likes

Seven and SBS have the same allocation available.

Seven have 8 channels, SBS 6 (plus some radio)

5 Likes

I’m not an expert on the bandwidth allocation, QAM guards or that stuff, but…

SBS SD || 7SD
SBS HD || 7HD (both MPEG4)
VICE || 7TWO (MPEG2 vs 4)
MOVIES || 7MATE (MPEG2 vs 4)
NITV || 7Flix (Both MPEG2)
Food || 7Food (Both MPEG2)
(+radio) || RACING.com / Shopping

Going off this, they are essentially the same (radio channels take up very little), however SBS has allowed for 3HD channels by using MPEG4 for them instead of MPEG2 as 7 does.
MPEG4 HD channels typically use around the same bandwidth as an SD MPEG2 channel.

So really, if 7 was ready to bite the bullet, they actually could make both 7TWO and 7MATE MPEG4 HD channels.

Please correct me if I have missed something.

2 Likes

Yeah, although SBS has something like seven radio channels the combined bandwidth of those services probably is less than that of one low bandwidth SD channel?

Since 9GemHD was only able to happen after the closure of Your Money, I wouldn’t be holding my breath for Seven to add a 2nd HD channel anytime soon. The cash made from channels like RACING.COM and Open Shop is probably far too important for them!

1 Like

You’d be surprised. They’d come close.
Racing.com and Openshop are MPEG-4 SD and barely running above 1Mbps each.

The SBS radio channels are Layer 2 and probably minimum 192kbps, could even be 224 or 256?
They do use AAC on the Pop channels which would be less bits:

SBS Arabic24 MPEG-1 Layer 2
SBS Radio 1 MPEG-1 Layer 2
SBS Radio 2 MPEG-1 Layer 2
SBS Chill MPEG-1 Layer 2
SBS Radio 3 MPEG-1 Layer 2

SBS PopDesi AAC
SBS PopAsia AAC

I’d like to see them do more MPEG-4 exclusive services. 7Flix was launched as MPEG-4 but then quickly reverted to MPEG-2 with a fear Seven was losing audience.

Several years later though with MPEG-4 more common they should be more comfortable to run MPEG-4 only services.

Here’s what they should do.

7 SD MPEG-2
7TWO SD MPEG-2

7HD HD MPEG-4
7mate HD MPEG-4
7flix HD MPEG-4

7food SD MPEG-4
Racing SD MPEG-4
Openshop SD MPEG-4

I’d actually leave 7 and 7TWO as the only MPEG-2 services. My theory is the 7TWO audience is older and won’t like losing it if it went MPEG-4. 7Flix has a lot of movies and newer shows that would benefit being HD.

10 Likes

I seem to heavily recall a TV Blackbox article (you know, the exact site that stated Ten were going to launch a FTA version of MTV a while ago) from when 7HD converted to a full-time Seven simulcast in all markets (the AFL-driven Seven/7mate focus got a bit of controversy), stating that it was just for the 2016-2017 tennis season and that it would become 7mate again in Syd/Bris/Perth once it was finished.

I’m happy that it wasn’t true!

3 Likes

It was originally launched for the Australian Open in 2016 but was permanent

1 Like

Confirmation that the death of 7Food Network will give rise to the launch of 7mateHD:

7 Likes

I’m interested to how the bandwidth allocation will be spread, given that they are keeping 7mate SD.

2 Likes

More like the relaunch of 7mateHD, of course! :wink:

Presumably the 2016-19 concept of LCN-70 occasionally switching between the main channel & 7mate in various markets for AFL coverage reasons will now be thrown in the bin (thank goodness) in favour of having both channels in HD on a fulltime basis.

Hopefully, Seven will prioritise the bandwidth to the HD versions of the main channel (The fact that 7mateHD will be on LCN-74 rather than 70 is a positive sign, right?) and 7mate with the SD equivalents receiving the minimum required.

2 Likes

I would have put it on 73 and moved SD to 74.

70 7HD
71 7
72 7TWO
73 7mate HD
74 7mate
76 7flix

Or just completely reshuffle it to bring the flagship channels to the top and in descending order of importance from there:

70 7HD
71 7mate HD
72 7TWO
73 7flix
75 openshop
76 Racing
77 7
78 7mate

5 Likes

Is regional Queensland getting the slide? Am I right in thinking they still have the setup of 7HD in MPEG2 as the only primary channel, or did that change when Seven shifted playout centres?

Wonder why it’s taking them so long to actually launch the channel - especially as right now they have cases where 7Mate is showing the cricket in horrible SD quality, would seem like a good time to launch the HD simulcast.

Channel numbers are a mess on both Nine and Seven, and indeed Ten’s channel 13 for Ten HD is just as bad. I just think there’s too much of an installed base that’d be confused by a change, as much as it might stop all the people who are HD capable but pick the easier channel number, there’s too many who are still not MPEG-4 capable, which I think played a part in 7food’s failure in the first place.

5 Likes

No surprise to see 7mateHD launch on 74 the channel what used to be 7FoodHD

2 Likes

Although I understand why Seven have decided to keep a SD version, I would’ve pulled a SBS VICELAND and made 7mate available only in MPEG4 HD.

Ten: The ball is now in your court. Launching a HD version of 10 BOLD, 10 Peach or better still both would be a far better use of space than having a fourth multichannel when at times, it seems like you’ve barely got enough content to adequately fill three!

Possibly because there’s a pause on any major technical changes to the multiplex over the Christmas/New Year period? The LCN name (or whatever the technical term is) for 74 is still “7Food Network” even though programs have ceased, while the picture resolution also remains in SD.

3 Likes

That would explain it, but then why not just run 7food up until mid-Jan? They’d planned the death of the channel for a while so could have put arrangements in place for a better switch - or indeed just a non horrible placeholder slide.

3 Likes