Digital TV Technical Discussion

Especially for the rural race meetings with no Sky coverage at all.

1 Like

They are also the only TAB not part of Tabcorp (who own Sky Racing)

1 Like

Will chuck this here as it seems to come up as a discussion in a few different spots, but some general musings on moving to MPEG-4…

I think something that networks are getting wrong so far is to still dedicate too many bits to MPEG-2 SD simulcasts. Once a channel is available in HD, they should make the SD channel a very low bitrate. I don’t think the main commercial networks can follow SBS’ lead and just switch channels straight to MPEG4 HD only, they can and should realise that the people who care about picture quality can choose to watch the better quality channels.

Once you decide to lower the priority of the SD simulcasts, it opens up a lot more bits to work with. So for example - say Seven wanted an extra HD channel because Nine have one…

Channel  Current	New	 Change
7SD	 2.7Mbps 	1.8Mbps	 -0.9Mbps
7Mate 	 3.1Mbps	1.8Mbps	 -1.3Mbps
7Two	 2.3Mbps 	2.8Mbps	 +0.4Mbps
7flix 	 2.6Mbps	2.8Mbps  +0.2Mbps
7HD	 4.9Mbps 	4.0Mbps  -0.9Mbps
7MateHD  0.0Mbps	4.0Mbps  +4.0Mbps
7food 	 1.5Mbps	0.0Mbps	 -1.5Mbps
Racing 	 1.6Mbps	1.5Mbps	 -0.1Mbps
Openshop 1.1Mbps	1.0Mbps	 -0.1Mbps

If 7food isn’t deleted, just some slight shavings across the board gets you there.

7SD	 2.7Mbps 	1.7Mbps	 -1.0Mbps
7Mate 	 3.1Mbps	1.7Mbps	 -1.4Mbps
7Two	 2.3Mbps 	2.4Mbps	 +0.1Mbps
7flix 	 2.6Mbps	2.4Mbps  -0.2Mbps
7HD	 4.9Mbps 	4.0Mbps  -0.9Mbps
7MateHD  0.0Mbps	4.0Mbps  +4.0Mbps
7food 	 1.5Mbps	1.2Mbps	 -0.3Mbps
Racing 	 1.6Mbps	1.3Mbps	 -0.3Mbps
Openshop 1.1Mbps	0.9Mbps	 -0.2Mbps

And because it wouldn’t be a post about bitrates without a wacky suggestion…

7SD	 2.7Mbps 	1.5Mbps	 -1.2Mbps
7Mate 	 3.1Mbps	1.5Mbps	 -1.6Mbps
7Two	 2.3Mbps 	1.5Mbps	 -0.8Mbps
7HD	 4.9Mbps 	3.7Mbps  -1.2Mbps
7TwoHD	 0.0Mbps	3.5Mbps  +3.5Mbps
7MateHD  0.0Mbps	3.5Mbps  +3.5Mbps
7food 	 1.5Mbps	1.2Mbps	 -0.3Mbps
7flix* 	 2.6Mbps	1.2Mbps  -1.4Mbps
Racing 	 1.6Mbps	1.4Mbps	 -0.2Mbps
Openshop 1.1Mbps	0.8Mbps	 -0.3Mbps

*7flix flips back to MPEG-4 under this assumption, or 7food is switched off and it remains at similar to current levels in MPEG-2.

As I post this, SBS HD is 3.6 and World Movies is 3.7 - so it’s not too out of the question. Yes, the SD channels would look garbage - but the people who notice can upgrade to MPEG4.

For the future, 7 would just need to start running a watermark on the SD feeds warning people that the channel will go away soon, and to ensure they have access to the HD equivalent, at which point they could switch off the Mate/Two simulcasts and gain that back to give to the HD channels, or to make 7flix HD.

Thanks to the very helpful digitalbitrate website for current bitrates, I’m not set up for that right now.

6 Likes

That would probably generate too many complaints and phone calls from uneducated viewers like “what’s wrong with my TV” and like if the picture starts resembling the quality of say, the eXtra channel.

What’s really needed is a mandated switchover date to MPEG-4. Say 1 July 2020, stations could then have 3-4 stations all in HD only then

1 Like

HA! good luck with that as “Mr 1950’ Morrison as PM” in charge.
I’m surprised he has not mandated Black & White be brought back.

1 Like

I suggested earlier this year that they all go MPEG-4 for everything and just leave 7 and 7TWO in MPEG-2 SD. Also run 7Flix as HD instead of 7TWO.

1 Like

in an ideal world we would already have DVB-T2 which allows for HEVC/AAC.

of course … it’snot an ideal world.

The Commonwealth Govt need to mandate that by July 1 2021 that the primary channel should all be MPEG4 H264 / 5.1 DD

Also that MPEG2 is being switched off as a technology standard by June 30 2022.

That is more than enough time to get everyone switched over, wait who am I kidding it took what was it again 13 years? to switch off analogue once DVB-T was started.

6 Likes

But at the end of the day is it even worth it? Those who care about MPEG-4 HD have already switched to online streaming for the majority of their content consumption.

Free-to-air linear terrestrial television is becoming a legacy technology quickly with more people switching to online streaming and catch up services. Updating it to DVB-T2 and mandating MPEG-4 won’t fix this trend long term.

Honestly they may as well maintain MPEG-2 compatibility indefinitely for those who can’t afford, or are elderly and won’t ever use online streaming services.

1 Like

Though “cord cutting” is really an Americanism to describe people who have dropped subscription television and migrated to streaming and free-to-air television via aerial.

4 Likes

FTA is terrestrial, noting to do with “cord cutting”.

The key here is that nearly every smartphone/tablet, PC/Mac and smart TV (ok lets say from 2017 onwards to be on the safe side even though it can go as far back as 2009) has MPEG4 AVC ability, some even have HEVC.

(re: 2k 1440 or 4k 2160 and now some have 8k, although that is simply a waste of tech and some even are 16k which is just plain stupid as the human eye cant detect the difference)

Steaming comes down to not what type of technology is used to encode/decode, it comes down to ability to receive the signal, FTTP would of been perfect, FTTN not so much …

5G like 4G will have massive congestion issues, in fact it already does, look at Telstra 5G poor performance for mobile wireless even worse for Optus 5G fixed wireless.

Optus have said they will guarantee 50Mbits, yet those on Optus 5G are lucky to even get 5G signal with the Nokia router falling back to 4G TD 2300MHz network as the 4G FD signal is worse at 2600Mhz, wait this is not the thread for such talk :slight_smile:

Bringing it back on topic, MPEG2 needs to be switched off as a terrestrial technology system, their is no reason why all channels cant be right now MPEG4 h264 with DD5.1 or AAC audio other then the fact that MPEG2 is still around hogging precious bandwidth as the system still is DVB-T QAM 64 modulation.

3 Likes

Other than, you know… the fact that there’s still a ton of old-tech DVB-T TVs (and no doubt some STBs) out there that aren’t MPEG4 compatible? The networks would convert if they weren’t concerned about losing the maximum possible viewer base.

3 Likes

Both terrestrial and online streaming have advantages and weaknesses.

Obviously with terrestrial all you need is an antenna (VHF for metro and in some metro regions UHF) and UHF for regional unless there is VHF also provided and of course a DVB-T TV or even an analogue TV or set top unit or DVB-T USB or PCIe tuner card.

The downside is no real return path for interactive services via that system as it’s all 1 way via the spectrum provided, this can be somewhat sidestepped with analogue (PTSN/POTS which is being phased out) digital (VoIP) or better yet digital online return path (NBN or the remaining exisiting legacy internet systems) or mobile/fixed wireless but that type of set up has well and truely no longer seen as viable (re: pay TV has shown it does not work) which is why such return path systems are basically non existent for FTA terrestrial.

So with terrestrial there will always be a place for linear broadcasting re: live news and live sports and special interest programming, everything else in reality can be switched over to a time-shift on-demand system but the reality is their are 24 hours worth of time that needs programming which is why the channels exist.

Are there too many FTA channels? My view is not enough others will say too many.

Streaming (over the top system) main advantage is mobility as in you can watch anywhere there is mobile/fixed wireless or NBN (and the remaining existing legacy internet systems) via your mobile phone / tablet or smart tv, no need for linear channels however I see why they are there to be viewed.

The downside is you need data (not an issue with NBN or exisiting legacy internet networks) and speed, this is an issue with mobile/fixed wireless due to spectrum shortage and 3 4G(4 but TPG is not active) mobile networks that are at best already at capacity and 5G won’t fox this capacity issue as 3G is going to be shut down by all existing providers which will force more onto 4G and 5G is at best at least 5 years away from being really good to use.

So you can see why the FTA networks have finally realised they need content for their streaming services, Foxtel through Kayo have had the market to themselves in general save for Optus Sports (which has hurt Fox Sports traditional pay TV business), services like Netflix, Amazon Prime and Stan are not players in this game (not yet anyway) neither are Facebook and YouTube (more like AdTube unless you use several ad-blockers which need updating daily to bypass ads on that service).

If Murdoch had not used “The Australian” to wage war on Kevin Rudds “FTTP NBN” then Foxtel would of been in the box seat but he kinda shot himself in both feet with that as the NBN in today’s format simply won’t cut it in the future not will 5G mobile/fixed wireless for streaming HD 2K let one 4K content on a mass level and Foxtel is dieing faster then they thought it would.

This is where the FTA networks have advantage … The value VHF/UHF spectrum which allows them 100% access, streaming is just a bonus for them to ensure eyeballs in the content they had which they can sell to advertisers. That said don’t be surprised if the FTA start subscription services for said access.

What about satelite you say?

I am not that big on satellite,yes I understand they now have DVB-S2 which allows for HEVC encoding and the use of HEVC decoder which means they can squeeze more channels onto each transponder but this is still a pay TV domain as I can’t see VAST moving to such technology just yet.

Wait what about HFC … What about it? Foxtel are connecting all new subs to satellite a d those on HFC are being slowly moves over.

FTTN is horrid junk, HFC is now NBN (the only good thing is going from 8 channels to 16 and potentially 24 bonded channels with 8 on the upload side provided the can get DOCSIS 3.1 working the right way) and FTTC reach is small, all that leaves is NBN Fixed Wireless, that is already at capacity and near bursting at the seems.

Wow that got our of hand real fast :wink:

I will edit it later as I am on mobile and it’s hard to go through it.

3 Likes

Yes I am well aware, I have two old Panasonic 4:3 analogue TV which are working 100% still in use with DVB-T MPEG2 only set top units and lol VHS connected also my old Sega Mega Drive and PS1.

However it’s time to move forward with this technology standard and if thateand people miss out then so be it.

2 Likes

Totally agree.
It’s been almost 6 years since the analogue TV switchoff, so surely the same can be done with MPEG2 within the next few years.

Heck, a basic MPEG4 set top box is $50 at JB (https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/linsar-set-top-box) - and yes, I understand that the $$ situation is different for everyone.

3 Likes

As much as I want us to transition, “so be it” means loss of advertising revenue. These are businesses.

5 Likes

oh there are cheaper ones out there for purchase.

https://tinyurl.com/y6fmh2ym

I have no idea about the quality but does everything it needs to for FTA .
I might just buy two for the old Panasonic 4:3 analogue TV’s I have.

2 Likes

What interactive services? We’ve moved on from that, we now live in the app driven era on smart TVs, tablets, smart phones etc.

Not enough? You said it in your post earlier, there’s 24 hours of schedule to fill. How will they fill the air time on more channels?

All the premium content on free-to-air is on the primary channels anyway. Re-runs and B-grade docos and movies fill the rest of the channels now. More premium content cost money and most the extra premium content is tied up in contracts with Stan, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Foxtel (HBO) which no free-to-air network could afford.

Not even. Kayo is a good platform. NBA and NFL league passes are proving popular. Sport streaming is slowly taking over as the way people watch and consume sport content changes.

This is the one good point you make and I do admit it makes my point of view moot. Without data terrestrial broadcasts survive but the NBN and mobile will eventually improve. For instance 4G isn’t as bad as you say it is in all areas. I regularly stream HD video on the train with little issues. Don’t be too pessimistic about the future.

1 Like

i fully agree with all your points:)

1 Like

And I brought a basic MPEG-4 set top box at Big W for $30 a while back

People don’t want to use set top boxes - they add lots of extra complexity to using a TV. I certainly doubt you’ll get a lot of takeup for having to buy a new box for what can be pretty new TV sets, just to keep watching channels you already get. A lot of people might just take that opportunity to ditch TV.

If you bought a DVR to get that MPEG-4 support that could justify it, but there’s a real lack of good DVRs out there and certainly no cheap ones. Most of the boxes out there are streaming focused, with Fetch one of the few that seems to mostly work well with OTA content, but still really pushes streaming.

There’s certainly no need for government to get involved and force a switch, that’s for later when we’ll need to free up the 600MHz spectrum with a staged transition to DVB-T2/HEVC.

6 Likes