HD Broadcasting

I meant proper HD not upscaled and yes I was serious .

ABC SD looks bad I agree.

As bad as WIN SD?

Talking about ABC HD, has anyone else noticed that the audio level is very low compared to other channels (even ABC SD)?

They all seem normal levels to me here in Brisbane

I’ve noticed this with other MPEG4 services … 9HD in particular.

But that volume issue varies with receivers too… it is more noticeable via my Panasonic Blu Ray recorder than it is on my Samsung telly.

I’ve noticed this as well but in m case both abc hd and seven hd have higher audio quality, was just going to mention does thr abc hd logo only show up for when there is native hd content ?

No. It was on for the obviously up-converted ABC News and 7:30 in NSW.

Odd, because 9HD is much louder than ABC HD on our Samsung TV. I guess maybe it’s something to do with location?

Yeah, I’ve noticed all MPEG-4 channels have noticeably lower volumes than MPEG-2 channels on my TVs

3 Likes

I too have noticed. Its so annoying. On my TV for example, you can have Nine at a reasonable volume at 20, but on 9HD I have to turn the volume up to over 40 for the same loudness!

However on our home theater, all of the HD channels are noticeably louder than the SD channels

The HD channels use AC3 - a wider dynamic range sound system compared to MPEG2 channels. This allows for very loud sounds but means average volume is lower.

Many TVs allow for adjustment of the default sound level for each channel so you can set them all the same.

Edit: You can also adjust the default output for all channels from Dolby Digital or AC3 to MPEG2 in the setup of your TV (with reduced sound clarity) so the level of all will be the same.

6 Likes

ABC HD’s quality looking gooood now.

9 Likes

Merry Christmas from Aunty.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Watermarks

I put on ABC HD this morning, not sure if the show was Australian Story or One Plus One but the picture looked very soft and didn’t look HD at all. Looked like soft SD. The ABCHD logo was there though.

Maybe they are just only showing some programs in HD. i understand that it will fully launch on december 31st from the new years eve? I don’t expect to see any more full HD content until then.

The watermark as well as the clock during ABC Breakfast is in HD now. So baby steps they are moving forward.

I can’t see any techonological reasons they couldn’t have just launched in HD straight away.

When did 7HD start broadcasting in Brisbane?

Last Friday. Apparently a temporary broadcast for Summer.

1 Like

Thanks. Totally missed it starting