HD Broadcasting

Don’t worry you ain’t missing much. :grinning:

Looks like HD comes alive on ABC during the evenings most nights that I noticed. Was watching Would I lie to you? (UK game show) and it definetly looked HD to me.

wow DirceTV in America already has 3 4K channels & here we are in Australia just getting our act together with HD channels…were a joke.

3 Likes

Foxtel, the Australian comparison to DirecTV you should be using, has been doing MPEG-4 HD since 2008. Hardly ‘just getting their act together’. They’ll more than likely be the first to start linear 4K broadcasting, but considering Foxtel caters only to Australia (~15% of the US population) I can’t see them being in any hurry.

1 Like

Not to mention they’re a virtual monopoly and pay TV uptake in Australia is very low compared to America.

4K will be a standard presentation format on the internet in half a decade.

Last night 7.30 had the “ABC HD” watermark, but no way was it in HD. They should save the watermark for genuine HD programs.

Except here of course, with our watered down NBN service.

I was talking about Free to Air not Foxtel but yes I new that about Foxtel.
Were just so far behind the world with everything its annoying.

But DirecTV is not FTA - it’s a (mostly) satellite delivered pay service, not comparable to terrestrial broadcast television. Netflix has 4k available in Australia now.

3 Likes

For now it’s what we got… it may be a joke to you but what we have in terms of HD is sufficient enough .

Why should we not be encouraging Australian networks (both free to air and Pay TV) to do more HD wherever possible?

1 Like

In my opinion, all 5 Free To Air Networks need to have their main channel available in HD to ALL viewers with the majority of it being produced and screened in native HD.

This isn’t happening.

I would be happy with that - I know we would still be lagging others parts of the world in no 4K, no multi channel HD etc, but that to me, would be something.

6 Likes

The problem is they don’t want to do it and money talks.

Nine Sydney has been producing all their content in HD for many years now, as do Seven Sydney don’t they?

1 Like

From what I’ve seen, Martin Place is currently only capable of broadcasting live studio footage/graphics in HD with other pre-recorded elements still being in SD.

2 Likes

Blue Bloods on Ten apparently in HD i heard.

I noticed that as well.

2 Likes

Was it a new season ?

I like the watermark.

No a repeat - I noticed it after the Big Bash finished.

Even the Fox Sports simulcast on ABC is now HD. Why they didn’t flick that switch from the start and save themselves all this trouble who knows.

ABC can get it right with HD links from Fox Sports. They along with Nine, Ten and SBS have all simulcast sport from Foxtel in HD. Seven?

3 Likes