HD Broadcasting

Agreed. If the networks want HD and a 4th channel on their spectrum and room for decent picture quality, the government should change the bitrates.

1 Like

The government just sold off a huge chunk of the UHF band, they aren’t going to give more spectrum to television.

I’ve been thinking. (It does explain this mornig beads of sweats lol)

We are under the assumption that 7 didn’t want this two tier HD system for the AFL. We all have just assumed the AFL made sure that the split two HD tier system worked so that every AFL game was broadcast in HD. Since we haven’t seen the contract and don’t know what it’s in it, maybe 7 and AFL worked out this deal ,we all know 7 has been relunctant in relaunching 7HD , it does explain why two states only have it at the moment. They could have easily made the deal and kept 7mateHD for all states.

Something to think about…

But what I don’t get is why 7 perth, got 7mateHD when they should have recieved 7HD instead since it’s an AFL state. I am going to assume it was because we are the far away state. That’s the one logic that escapes me.

Because they utilise 7mate for AFL to not affect 7 News/TT on 7. Live games from the east would otherwise clash if they remained on the primary channel. Been like this for a few years now.

Prior to this, they would show 7News/TT on 7mate if there was a clash.

Ahh that explains it. Thanks for clarifying that.

Not going to happen thanks to those pesky things called mobiles - spectrum is being sold off the world over under the belief the need to watch HD content on a 5 inch screen is greater than the need to watch HD content on a 42 inch TV.

Freeview though should be improving capacity and it simply hasn’t really made much progress in Australia. The UK MPEG2 muxes can get between 8 and 15 SD channels on a mux in about 24mb/s of space. However the muxes that have switched completely to MPEG4 (using DVB T2) can carry 42mb/s of data, which allows for 6 HD and 6 SD channels.

So there will be no more mulichannels from now on? What’s next …more channels changing to MPEG-4? More channels switching to HD (Is that allowed for channels to change to HD?)

Eg if Nine announced next year all their channels would be available in HD ?

Also ABCHD is still not HD yet ? Supposed to happen on New Year’s Eve?

Watermark is now HD, also Australian Story appears to be in HD.

I heard somewhere (was it here ?) that it wasn’t going to be in HD until the fireworks.

ABC HD used in promos

3 Likes

HD programming - all promos so far still in SD

3 Likes

HD looks like crap cause it is off centre imho. Surely they could have lined it up better with the right edge.

1 Like

So is that saying that from 8.35pm HD will be switched on ? or is it saying from 8.35 , New Year’s Eve (name of the fireworks show is on ?

1 Like

Restoration Man on ABC is in crystal clear HD.

are you serious right now…

2 Likes

ABC HD has been on LCN20 for two weeks.

Looks like all systems go for ABC HD. Nigella in HD also.

I’m waiting for SBS Food HD now :stuck_out_tongue:

I looks to me like the quality of ABC SD might have gone down too. Either that or it just looks terrible after looking at the HD channel.

Noticeable difference, but then again I only watched 15 seconds of that Nigella show on ABC HD to see if it looked good, it looked okay. :stuck_out_tongue: Back to SD i went :stuck_out_tongue: