Have You Been Paying Attention?

You have to think a lucrative agreement like this will convince Working Dog not to shop around the commercial networks again in the future for its own formats.

7 Likes

That’s a fantastic announcement for a show that knocks it out of the park week-after-week.

4 Likes

Osher Gunsberg is a guest quizmaster this week. It will be his fourth appearance on the show.

I have a few random thoughts about this:

1. I hope there’s fluidity of the guests, the good thing about HYPBA? talent on other networks appear there and it’s seemingly fine (cant think of many sole 7 stars on HYPBA while working there).

2. I hope this means a start of Identify These International Versions of Well Known Reality TV Formats and HYPBA: North Korea type of jokes (the host of HYBPA NK would be Ri Chun Hee surely).

3. I would think that working dog will continue HYBPA? for a few more years now since this deal has been struck (contrary to thoughts at the end of last year/start of this year here)

4. if they’re adapting this, I hope there’ll be good unique Aussie content to adapt overseas (can’t think of any deserving really at the moment).

I hope the international version is just as good as this (and it’s not just highly political Jimmy Kimmel “Orange Man = Bad” crap). CBS could try to run HYPBA? in the US to see how viewers react if they haven’t already.

4 Likes

At least it looks like the future of the show is secure…for now.

1 Like

This can’t mean good things for our version of the show - wouldn’t be surprised to see 10 take production in-house at some point and inevitably mess it up with a new host/roster of regular contestants if the Working Dog team wants to move onto other projects.

1 Like

The show is shot at Ten Melbourne I think, so some level of production is already in-house.

It is fantastic news but we should be wary that it is not guaranteed success. The track record for Australian concepts being franchised to the US is dicey. (e.g. Thank God You’re Here, Kath & Kim, Prisoner, Number 96) Though most of those were through NBC so CBS might have better luck

2 Likes

I don’t think Americans will get the point of a show like this. I wouldn’t even classify it as a quiz considering the entertainment comes from a group of comedians piss farting around, trying to outdo each other with the funniest response and the winner of the “quiz” is meaningless. I don’t hold much hope it will translate to an American audience. It is too uniquely Australian. Even the local audience took a while to warm to it and accept that it isn’t who wins or loses but who can be the funniest class clown.

5 Likes

Both America and Australia don’t quite get the panel show in the way they’ve taken off in the UK. HYBPA is probably the strongest one to come from Australia (thinking back to mis-steps like the Unbelievable Truth).

@Midnight was similar but it was about the Internet.

I’m pretty sure Tom’s final question didn’t get interrupted by the buzzer last night, for those tracking that.

Lisa McCune is this week’s first guest quizmaster, promoting next week’s premiere of How to Stay Married.

Cricket commentator Mel Jones is this week’s second guest quizmaster, ahead of first match of Australia’s limited overs series against South Africa in Perth next Sunday.

Jamie Lee Curtis also pre-recorded a question about her Halloween movie.

Did anyone catch who’s on for next week?

Kitty Flanagan is one of next week’s panelists.

1 Like

Oooh must watch.

Now just waiting to see if she’s joined by Marty and Urzila.

EDIT: Not next week, but still a pretty good panel.

1 Like

Akmal was one.

1 Like

Akmal Saleh?

Sounds like an interesting panel for next week. I’m hoping that sometime in the future they’ll give Mark Humphries a go on HYBPA as a contestant. He would be hilarious.

1 Like

Yes. They made a thing about his return. Mark Humphries would be good and bring some variety.

1 Like