Great songs heard on radio

Berserk Warriors - Mental As Anything

Tonight on Triple M Brisbane

1 Like

I think 3GG would be affected by 2PM Port Macquarie’s skywave at night in most of Melbourne; 2XL (918) and 2GN (1368) are too close to locals, as well. So a tentative points victory to Sydney on that one!

I agree about Gold 104.3 vs WS, of course. 4KQ bests them both, however.

1 Like

It’s another 80s vs 90s weekend on WSFM and they played these 90s gems that don’t seem to get played on radio much these days…

It’s Only The Beginning - Deborah Conway
Kiss This Thing Goodbye - Del Amitri
Runaway Train - Soul Asylum
Dancing In The Storm - Boom Crash Opera

1 Like

A perfect pop song, featuring in both my countdown from this week in 1991 and my perfect pop song list. Del Amitri also features on the latter, but it’s “Always The Last To Know”- a much better song imo. Soul Asylum still sounds out of place on WS FM to my ears- but it’s very much in their era now, I know- and it’s also a good tune.

3 Likes

Agree wholeheartedly. Only The Beginning and Always The Last To Know are perfect pop songs and both awesome.

Have never been a fan of Runaway Train though.

Show No Mercy- MARK WILLIAMS

WS FM about half an hour ago. If only they were this adventurous all the time; they’ve probably culled the unflogged hits from the 80s and 90s DAB channels. This tune was one of the first I remember seeing on Rage as a little tacker.

2 Likes

I can confirm that 531 is a massive mess at night all the way from Country Victoria to Central Queensland. 2XL also is messy at night due to 4VL but 2GN is a Great DX Station all over the Eastern Seaboard (y)

2GN has 1368 kHz all to itself in Aus; there is just one lower powered Kiwi on the channel as well (Village Radio Tauranga is daytime only.) I haven’t had any luck receiving Asians on 1368, though they would no doubt be receivable in WA and the NT.

Getting back on topic, there were a few gems on Coles Radio this morning:

Computer One- DEAR ENEMY (seems to be a regular)
Out Of The Fire- IAN MOSS (an appropriate song on this horrible smoky day in Sydney)
Absolutely- EUROGLIDERS
It’s Too Late- EVERMORE (another forgotten early 00s track)

There was a fair bit of crap thrown in as well (e.g. a double shot of Selena Gomez), but you get that with a station such as this. Overall the music mix is similar to SWR FM, perhaps a little older skewing which is a good thing. Get rid of the inane Coles ads and it would be a great station- though that’s probably why there’s such freedom in the music programming.

2 Likes

On The Breeze this morning:
Amanda Marshall “Fall From Grace” she deserves more airplay,I remember her big hit from the mid 90s "Let it Rain "that you never hear on commercial FM stations anymore

3 Likes

on rebel last night as i was driving a family member to the gold coast airport - owner of a lonely heart by yes

3 Likes

“Why” by Annie Lennox on The Breeze this morning :+1:

1 Like

Marc Anthony "I Need to Know " (2000) on The Breeze this morning.He’s more well known for being JLO’S ex husband.Hadn’t heard this song for ages👍

1 Like

Sweet 'N Sour- THE TAKEAWAYS (ABC Local Radio NSW)
Fool For The City- FOGHAT (Rebel)
The Newcastle Song- BOB HUDSON (SWR FM, InPhase)

3 Likes

Sweet and Sour would be in my all-time favourite 50 songs.

1 Like

Thought I heard Katrina and the Waves today on Gold, but it was just a National Tiles ad :frowning:

3 Likes

The latter is infinitely better, TV Head! :smiley:

Gold on the Ceiling - Black Keys… on Absolute this afternoon…

I don’t know, but Absolute seems to show a bit more dedication to their ‘core artists’ than MMM…

For example, Absolute are playing the latest Killers track.

3 Likes

The music programming on Absolute is exceptional and seems “crafted”. Triple M always appears slapped together by comparison.

Bon Jovi “Something for the Pain”(1995) on Triple M "Generation 90’s’:+1:

No Surrender/Springsteen
One of my all time Springsteen favourites
Right now on MMM Greatest Hits Digital

1 Like