Great songs heard on radio

Speaking of Absolute, how do they do the Christian O’Connell breakfast show with the same voice breaks yet different music content across all the stations? Admittedly sometimes it sounds a little clunky (dead air at times) but just wondering… because flicking across stations it all seems to be ‘live’.

I heard ‘Computer Games’ on Brian yesterday morning… and while I realise it’s not entirely a ‘lost classic’… it was refreshing to hear… the kiwis arguably hang on to these songs more than what we do… admittedly DD Smash and ‘Magic what she do’ was played two songs later.

Yes it’s pretty clever how they do that on Absolute, the same breakfast show on multiple digital stations. Although it is definitely one of the better breakfast shows, it’s normally where I tune out of Absolute 80s though. I love listening to Absolute 80s at work from 9AM to about 3PM during the graveyard shift in the UK :slight_smile:

2 Likes
1 Like

2DayFM at 11.10am today - Say You’ll Be There by the Spice Girls.

I may be 40 something but it was the best 4 minutes of my day so far.

3 Likes

August Awesome 80s time on the Triple M regional Network
Have heard these so far today on 2GO:

Everywhere I Go - QED
She’s So Cold - Rolling Stones

2 Likes

I Just checked the music library, that’s on the CoastFM Easy mix (6am-6pm weekdays) playlist, its played semi regularly. Was on overnights I think, but has been moved to daytime.

1 Like

Now that the DAB issues on the 2SM stations in Sydney have been fixed, I have been listening to a bit of FUN Super Digi tonight… they do spin a few gems on it… heard this evening

Barenaked - Jennifer Love Hewitt
You Drive Me Crazy - Shakin Stevens
Runaway Train - Soul Asylum
Madonna - True Blue
Wild Boys - Duran Duran

And this song that I’ve never heard before that I now quite like:

That’s Rock And Roll - Shaun Cassidy

Their music log is also on the Online Radio Box:

(not sure why the end of the URL has ‘smooth953’ in it…!)

1 Like

Last night on Mix 104.9 Darwin:
Stereo - The Watchmen

3 Likes

I have not heard this song on radio for donkey years. :thumbsup:

A few years back you would never hear a song like this on Mix. It was more of a Female stewed radio station.

How is Mix 104.9 sounding these day?

Regurgitator - Polyester Girl on Triple M Modern Digital

4 Likes

That’s amazing. Thanks so much.

But 60s? Are you sure there’s a 60s?

You’re So Vain- CHOCOLATE STARFISH (MMM Greatest Hits)

4 Likes

Good song!

Their other hits,“Mountain” and “Four Letter Word” are long forgotten by Australian radio and I think should be dusted off and given some airplay.

3 Likes

“Mountains” is still regularly played on Forever Classic 2XL in the Snowy Mountains.

2 Likes

A Girl Like You - Edwyn Collins on 104.7 Triple M Adelaide this morning.

3 Likes

Mountain is on rotation on the Triple M Greatest Hits regionals and also on VERY high rotation on my iPod as it’s one of my personal favourites. It’s also my neighbours’ favourites (they didn’t tell me this, but they have no choice because it’s played VERY loud from my home speakers) :smiley:

4 Likes
1 Like

Winners- MOVING PICTURES

2XL (and 2GN) 80s party mix last night. Amazing to hear anything other than “What About Me (I Never Claim)” on the wireless.

2 Likes

Don’t forget to add 3GG as well on this. :slight_smile:

That means people in Melbourne, particularly those south-east of the CBD & has a good AM tuner, gets two 80s music programs on commercial radio on a Friday night, via Gold 104.3 & 3GG. Overall, along with the likes of PBS, 3RRR & the Pacific Star’s DAB-only stations, music radio down in that part of the world is better than here in Sydney.

Speaking of which, according to Online Radio Box, Gold 104.3 played “The Model” by Kraftwerk as part of their ‘Totally 80s’ program at around 9:25pm last night. You wouldn’t hear WS play that song, not even during their 80s-themed weekends.