Great songs heard on radio

I’m enjoying MMM GHD… although maybe a little too much Aussie shite (like right now there’s the over-played Mark Lizote ‘right on the tip of my tongue’)…

I guess that’s why I like Absolute…

No Aussie crap.

Aussie music is the main reason why I listen to our stations.

3 Likes

Serious question, why the hate for Aussie music? Sure, there’s some crap but some absolute gems, just like American or British music.

6 Likes

In certain eras- the early 90s comes to mind- Australian Top 40 acts were the highlight. Ian Moss, Ratcat, Southern Sons etc. were a revelation compared to some of the pretty average hip hop and new jack swing originating from the US at that time.

I enjoy both versions of “You’re So Vain”- yes, I probably prefer the original, but a little (G-rated) Chocolate Starfish from time to time shouldn’t offend anyone.

3 Likes

Bit of the old Chocolate Starfish!

Yes I agree. There are some absolute gems. Sometimes they don’t get played unfortunately with stations sticking to a few overplayed tracks instead :frowning:

1 Like

Francis Dunnary-"American Life in the Summertime '(1994) Triple M 'Generation 90’s ’ this week :+1:

4 Likes

One of my top 10 pop songs from the 90s, that. A fantastic feel-good track and the very definition of a one-hit wonder.

2 Likes

102.5 The Edge are playing some gems tonight, it a shame that they don’t do this more often.

Tie Your Mother Down - Queen
Street Cafe - Icehouse
7 Seconds - Youssou N Dour
18 and Life - Skid Row
Motor’s too Fast - James Reyne
Way of The World - Max Q (Michael Hutchence)
Four Walls - Chisel

6 Likes

I’m guessing you wanted to know the score around the grounds…

1 Like

Giving 1SM a spin. Goodness Gracious Me - Peter Sellers & Sophie Loren

Interesting song. They don’t make songs like that today.

Ace Frehley - New York Groove on Triple M GHD… sounding awesome…

So much better than the original… yet still reminds me of Liberty Radio (GTA V).

1 Like

Ah you beat me to it!! Was driving home on the motorway this arvo when Back In The New York Groove came on MMM GHD. It was awesome!

They even followed it up with Raspberry Beret, which I know gets played all the time but still love it, especially the start.

Ace Frehley made my commute!

2 Likes

Rebel FM also plays “Back in the New York Groove” from time to time!

1 Like

Yes Rebel is the only other station I’ve ever heard it on.

1 Like

Jackson Browne,‘Somebody’s Baby’(1982), heard on The Breeze this morning :+1:

2 Likes

The Nolans "Gotta Pull Myself Together " (1981) on The Breeze this morning :blush::+1:
Spiller featuring Sophie Ellis Bextor ‘Groovejet If this Ain’t Love’(2000) Nova 'Throwback Thursday ’ Nova 106.9👍NOVA week

2 Likes

Dandy Warhols - Every Day Should Be A Holiday (4ZZZ)
Eddie Money - Take Me Home Tonight (Rebel)

3 Likes

I think Jackson Browne is very much under played in this country. He was played a lot in the 80s on FM104 and I also recall hearing him on Adelaide radio in the mid 90s. He’s got a lot of great songs.

3 Likes

A good list. Since ACE are taking over in November - have they already made the move and sacked their PD/MD in Wangaratta? Because there is no way the PD/MD who was controlling both stations would play those type of songs.