Great songs heard on radio

4BK played one new song in every three… and very much that song was always of the Hot AC ilk.

1 Like

“BK - 1300 Playing one great soft rock song after another”

1 Like

4SS Top 40?

Even more so than 4AK?
Or was 4AK more like FM104?

1 Like

During '86 and '87 at least, 4AK was more like FM104 using the “rock in stereo” positioner. Before that it was more Top 40 and at some point towards the end of the 80s or early 90s I think it went back to more Top 40.

4SS was never really Top 40 but probably close to hot AC during the mid to late 80s.

1 Like

4GY seemed to play a lot of top 40.

1 Like

Yes 4GY did play a lot of Top 40 particularly in the early to mid 80s. By the late 80s though they were going a bit softer/classic hits.

Culture Club-"Victims " 1984,on The Breeze yesterday.:+1:From their “Colour By Numbers” album.Great song

That one IS a great song. One of Culture Club’s more underrated tracks. I doubt it would be played on any station other than Breeze

1 Like

@anon21817333
A question for you. I kept hearing a great song on the radio in LA pretty much every day I was there. The song was called The Promise by When In Rome and I later found out it was a British band and released in 1987/88. It made No.11 in the US and No. 1 on their dance chart. But only made No. 58 in their native UK and didn’t even crack the Top 100 here in Australia - potentially due in part to the crash of Top 40 stations (2SM, Stereo 10, 3XY) about that time. The song is classified as “new wave” so must have been one of the very last of that genre.

Was wondering if it charted or had airplay in NZ? I’ve never heard it played in Australia but I fell in love with the song in the US and couldn’t believe how many times I heard it there on K-Earth and KOST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HI_xFQWiYU

Talking To A Stranger - Hunters & Collectors

On Triple M Sydney right now

Good to hear a Hunters song on the radio that ISN’T ‘Holy Grail’.

Great song too, one of the Hunnas’ best IMO

1 Like

Love Spit Love with How Soon is Now

On Rebel - one of my favourite TV themes from Charmed; also the movie The Craft.

1 Like

You Have Placed A Chill In My Heart - Eurythmics
Whaling - DD Smash
As Long As You Follow - Fleetwood Mac

All on Mix 98.2 Auckland last night. Love being over here listening to the NZ stations.

2 Likes

River 94.9 today:
Spin Doctors-"Little Miss Can’t Be Wrong " 1993
Martin Plaza(from Mental As Anything)-“Concrete and Clay” 1986
Not sure if I’ll be able to listen to them at work anymore after today :slightly_frowning_face:

Gee that Little Miss Can’t Be Wrong song used to be played a LOT back in the day. I got really sick of it. Ok to hear it now though I guess.

I’d rather hear that one than “Two Princes” that song has been played to death

2 Likes

I was never a fan of the Spin Doctors (yes, I would prefer “Little Miss” over “Two Princes” too).

But Martin Plaza! Haven’t heard that on the radio for a while.

Can’t really go wrong with anything from Greedy Smith or his band :blush:

Playing right now on “The Greatest Years In Music”

Seven Seconds - Youssou N’Dour & Neneh Cherry

One I reckon I haven’t heard on the radio since 1994

2 Likes

Happy Birthday Helen - Things Of Stone & Wood

Playing right now on Star 104.5 Central Coast.

I heard this the other day on 2ch. I quite like the old film clip of Sydney I think. Seeing the old cars brings back memories.

2 Likes