Great songs heard on radio

John Paul Young-"Soldier Of Fortune " 1983 on The Breeze this morning :+1:

2 Likes

Speaking of that, old clip of V Spy V Spy’s “Dont Tear It Down” also takes me back as it shows the streets of Sydney from the mid 80s in a time lapse sequence (from about 2:30 to 2:50) … Looked so different back then!

Great song as well…

2 Likes

Great song. It’s never had much airplay even back in the day

That Smell- LYNYRD SKYNYRD (Rebel, insert crude fart joke here).

1 Like

Gee 4KQ was rocking out today with Barracuda/Heart at lunchtime and Don’t Stop Believing/Journey in drive.

All I can say is watch out 4MMM and your alleged rock variety :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You wouldn’t hear either of those songs on WSFM (or any other commercial FM station for that matter) in Sydney. Strange how an AM station is more likely to play those songs than an FM station! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Yeah I know. AM is the new FM

2 Likes

Still on the subject of Journey, I heard the soon to be closed Magic network (via 2CH in Sydney, which will remain as a music station under new ownership) played “Open Arms” at around 3:45-3:50pm AEDT this afternoon.

2 Likes

Now I wish that 2uw and 2ws never converted to FM :grinning:.

2 Likes

It would have been interesting to hear what 2UW and 2WS would have sounded like today, if 101.7 and 106.5 had been allocated to new licensees instead of as AM to FM conversions.

Yes I was really looking forward to having a classic hits station on FM. 2ws was exactly the same format for a few years but slowly but surely becoming more like 2day FM of the late 80s and early 90s. Mix did have way back Wednesdays but never had a 2uw like format. The same thing happened with i98fm. It really was a good classic hits stations in the early 90s.

2ch now has great audio at 128k and old music can sound great on FM. Smooth sounds great too, but for me I just don’t dig smooth. It feels fake. But at least credit given to smooth they broke this trend of only playing low risk 80s and 70s tracks , and added at least some variety.

2 Likes

Yes, I don’t like the way Smooth has overseas based “Guest” DJs whose shifts are recorded weeks in advance.

They would be better off getting some Aussie music legends like Iva Davies to host some some shifts regularly with a serious smooth music focus, preferably live.

1 Like

Resurrection Shuffle- ASHTON GARDNER& DYKE (2CA).

2 Likes

Sign O’ The Gypsy Queen- APRIL WINE
The Core- ERIC CLAPTON

(The station with the gnarly dog).

1 Like

Can I add a flashback to this thread?

Breakfast Club - Right on Track.

Played on 2SM in 1987.

4 Likes

5-7-0-5- CITY BOY (2CA)
Not The Loving Kind- THE TWINS (Breeze)
Fool For The City- FOGHAT (Rebel).

Thanks to the RadioApp which allows quick browsing of playlists without having to sit through the ads and crap songs.

2 Likes

In case you’re (or anyone else is) not aware already, Rebel & Breeze’s playlists can also be seen via onlineradiobox.com.

Rebel: http://onlineradiobox.com/au/rebel/playlist/
Breeze: http://onlineradiobox.com/au/thebreeze/playlist/

2CA/2XL/3GG’s playlist can only be seen via the RadioApp.

1 Like

Five in a Row featuring 23 FM - just now on Zinc 96. “Non stop blend of good time classic rock and golden old chart busters!”

5 Likes

Finally - CeCe Peniston

Playing right now on the Triple M regional network program “Greatest Years In Music” (for me on 2GO)

Greedy People- ELECTRIC HIPPIES (FM100.3 Armidale).

4 Likes