Great songs heard on radio

Fischer-Z - “The Perfect Day” on 2GO’s “Unflogged 600” this afternoon. Even though it made it to #12 back in the day, I’d never heard it before (as I’m a teenager) so it was a pleasant surprise.

4 Likes

Black Sorrows - The Chosen Ones on Aussie this morning. Great song, nice change from Chained to the Wheel or Harley and Rose.

Meanwhile over on Double J they’re playing the Hottest 100 1996, some great hits and a lot of misses there.

Roger Hodgson - Had a Dream, on the Rebel yesterday. From his first solo album after leaving Supertramp.

3 Likes

Not commercial radio, but Northside Radio FM 99.3 (Chatswood in Sydney) just played

Sleeping Satellites - Tasmin Archer (1992)

I kinda forgotten about that song.

4 Likes

I just saw this song on an old episode of ‘Rock Arena’ from Rage Retro Month that I recorded last Saturday night. I do remember this track even though I thought I didn’t,should be included in 'Songs Lost to Radio ’ thread

SWR FM’s InPhase played that yesterday. I also heard that Black Sorrows tune on 2ST on the 26th; they were all Australian all the time and pulled out a few doozies (Rick Price- Not A Day Goes By was also heard ;)).

Please don’t tell me something I know.

You come for a day and stay for a week!

Easy Radio playing Restless Heart/Peter Cetera right now. One of Pete Cetera’s much lesser known hits. Think it was pretty big in the US and I’ve heard it played on radio over there, but I don’t remember it even being much of a hit here and certainly don’t remember hearing it played much on radio?

I downloaded it on my iPod when I heard it on KOST-FM.

Speaking of Easy Radio, I’ve had a quiet weekend at home and I’ve found it very easy to have that on in the background most of the weekend. Like the good old days of FM. I think Easy has the edge over Smooth for me.

And while I typed this Easy Radio is now playing Belinda Carslisle “I Get Weak”. Again one of her lesser known hits but GREAT to hear on the radio.

2 Likes

On River 94.9 today:
Glass Tiger -“Don’t Forget Me When I’m Gone” 1986
World Party-"Ship of Fools " 1987
John Mellencamp-“Paper and Fire” 1987

1 Like

The Doors, LA Woman on KO FM this morning with the sweeper “from the department of surprise and delight, how’s this?”

2 Likes

Terrence Trent Darby -“Wishing Well” on River 94.9 today :+1:

3 Likes

A couple from today:

Manic Street Preachers - If You Tolerate This (big :+1: from me) - Rebel FM
Pink Floyd - Hey You (even bigger :+1: ) - again Rebel
Elton John - Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding (not a massive fan of Reg, but the first part in particular of this is great) - Breeze

3 Likes

Three awesome songs.

1 Like

‘I get weak’ ~ great song… one that seemed to fall through the cracks here in Australia… 1988 was a rough year for Top40/CHR here in Australia - particularly the second half of the year.

This track received much more airplay in NZ… I had a mate in Christchurch who would send tapes over for me (telescoped if I was lucky) and it featured on both ZMFM and C93FM (on the same C90 cassette!).

I don’t think I ever heard it on Brisbane radio (I got so desperate to hear top 40 I used to even listen to 101 on Friday nights sometimes)… but I do remember seeing the video on Rage but only once.

I guess since Stereo 10 has disappeared in early 1988, the Top 40 radio options in Brissie became very limited… FM104 never played much of that.

What about 4BK? I know they weren’t a real Top 40 station then, but did they play any of that kind of music around 1988, or were they more “Classic Hits”?

I remember hearing "I Go Weak " by Belinda Carlisle on Stereo 10 in early 1988.That was where I heard Terrence Trent Darby also ,“Wishing Well” ,“Sign Your Name”,don’t hear much of him these days except on River 94.9

It was a similar situation in Sydney when 2SM became Lite & Easy in April 1988, sending younger listeners over to 2MMM, which started to play some Top 40 mixed in with the rock they play. I think in parts of Sydney, one would’ve had the option of tuning to 2KA from Penrith, 2WL from Wollongong or even 2NX from Newcastle to hear some Top 40 that 2MMM & 2DAY didn’t play much of.

Yes 4BK did play a small amount of top 40 around that time but mostly classic hits/soft rock. I remember them playing some of the new Billy Joel songs from around that time like “This is the time” and stuff from Simply Red.

But there was a real lack of top 40 radio for a number of years when Stereo 10 folded.

I recall 4GG at the time played new music as did 4SS. Actually 4SS was probably the most Top 40 station around SEQ in '88 and '89.

1 Like

Sign Your Name/Terrence Trent D’arby always reminds me of FM104. They loved that one too.
I may be wrong but I seem to recall I Get Weak played on 104 too, but not the bigger hits from Belinda Carlisle except the odd spin of Heaven is a Place on Earth.