Streets Of Your Town - The Go Betweens
You Better You Bet - The Who

During The Classic 9 at 9.
The theme?

Bands with “The” in their name

3 Likes

“I know where its at” is my favourite. All saints had some good tracks

1 Like

“Never Ever” was also a great track in the late 90s.

1 Like

I always think of this song as about Brisbane . There’s even a inner city toll bridge named the ‘Go Between Bridge’

3 Likes

Yes, I don’t think the band has ever categorically said it’s about Brisbane, but it clearly is judging by the lyrics. Lot’s of talk about the river, the sun and even a reference to tearing things down (which was happening a lot when the song came out). Even “round and round, up and down” evokes the very hilly nature of inner Brisbane suburbs - I love showing my southern friends some of the really steep hills like in Red Hill, Paddington or even Coorparoo. I just drive up and down them like it’s totally normal and they freak out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Always reminds me of PRiME television (Vic) from 20 odd years ago.

3 Likes

Oh god doesnt it ever. That ad campaign was everywhere on the GC. Bus stops, Billboards everything for at least 5-10 years

1 Like

Whilst driving home I heard a good song on the ABC Sports DAB Radio, ‘I don’t like Cricket’ from Bob Marley.

2 Likes

Not the name of the song and not by Bob Marley…

3 Likes

[quote=“Super_SC, post:4412, topic:267”]
I don’t like Cricket’ from Bob Marley.
[/quote]

You mean “Dreadlock Holiday” by 10cc?

5 Likes

Heard a few good songs on Triple M Awesome 80’s Friday (Regional version) via Triple M Newcastle

Glittering Prize - Simple Minds

All I Need is a Miracle - Mike + the Mechanics

Take it on the Run - REO Speedwagon

Safety Dance - Men Without Hats

And yesterday at EB Games/Zing Greenhills I heard Don’t Say You Love Me - M2M which was made famous for appearing in Pokémon The First Movie charting in at #4 on the Aria charts in 2000.

6 Likes

I heard Johnny Diesel And The Injectors “Soul Revival” on the Sydney/Melbourne Awesome 80s log today, but that was about it … only listened for about 40 minutes.

3 Likes

I did the same with the Regionals. Very safe & bland playlist. Why can’t they throw in some 12” mixes and 80’s songs that they have not played in ages. In 2 hours, I heard them play 2 over fogged songs from Icehouse (Great Southern Land and Electric Blue) from this awesome band. Why can’t they play something different from them, like Street Cafe or Don’t Believe Anymore, for example.

2 Likes

The programmers grew up in an era when familiarity was important to casual listeners and cume = equalled success. In today’s technology world Time Spent Listening (TSL) is more important so going deeper is actually a better decision.

1 Like

The Breeze for example will find a track that’s less common by a well known band/singer and play that instead ,not always the over flogged songs everyone knows .
Example ,I heard “Empty Garden “ from Elton John one day,from early 1982

5 Likes

Yes I’ve heard Empty Garden a few times on Breeze. They do play a lot of the less well known tracks. I’ve heard a few of Elton’s other lesser known hits too - Grey Seal and Sartorial Eloquence for example.

3 Likes

Pretty sure I’ve heard them play “Too Low For Zero” as well. Another great track.

Elton is a clear example of an artist who you could absolutely dig deeper than his top 10 tracks and play a few more without scaring too many people away. I don’t know why more stations don’t (well I do, but I don’t agree with it)

5 Likes

Too Low For Zero is a great song.

4 Likes

A few good ones on the SWR 99.9 Blacktown Awesome 80s today

Cross The Border – Icehouse
The Sun Always Shines on TV – A-ha
The Model – Kraftwerk
You Got Me Going Again – Machinations

6 Likes

Howard Jones,”New Song” on The Breeze :+1:

4 Likes