Great songs heard on radio

It was a typical ‘JJJ darling’ track and came in at #9 on the Hottest 100 of 2003. But as is usual for the top JJJ tracks, it crossed over to CHR to some degree. Nova 969 played it frequently iirc, not sure about 2DAY FM.

1 Like

Fools Gold - The Stone Roses

Played on Triple M Melbourne yesterday morning as part of Awesome 80s Friday. Quite a well known song, but I don’t recall ever hearing it on Triple M (or any station for that matter).

3 Likes

They were playing only British artists 80s songs yesterday in recognition of the Kings Coronation.

I heard the Eurythmics twice in the space of a couple of hours which suggested to me that they were struggling to find suitable artists/songs to play!

1 Like

Great track - fairly sure it was their weekend traffic bed for a time.

1 Like

That about sums up commercial radio. The UK is the home of new wave music!

1 Like

I just had a look at their log on Lava from yesterday.

They did play a fair amount of British new wave between 9am and 3pm when they were doing this British theme … New Order, Tears For Fears (twice), The Cure (twice), A Flock Of Seagulls, Pyschedelic Furs, Joy Division, Human League, Duran Duran, Wang Chung… But nothing from The Smiths, Howard Jones or Nik Kershaw. Heaps of others they could have played too.

3 Likes

No Nik Kershaw? How dare they!

4 Likes

Or The Jam

2 Likes

Heard these late 90s tracks that you don’t hear much of anymore on ‘Nights With Dave Gleeson’ on Triple M tonight

Buddy Holly - Weezer
Short Skirt Long Jacket - Cake

5 Likes

Once again I heard “Easy Lover” by the two Phil’s (Philip Bailey/Phil Collins) just before 8:00pm tonight.

While I like that Triple M play some old songs from the 80s and 90s, they don’t play much of the modern hits these days.

1 Like

Pure Shores - All Saints

Heard on Hit 104.7 today. Nice to see some “forgotten” songs by girl groups get some airplay. Liberty X’s “Just a Little” is another one that they tend to play often.

3 Likes

That’s an old favourite of mine - it’s a must-listen-to when it comes on the radio :slight_smile:

Personally I found that song (and its music video) quite annoying back in the day; it was an instant station-changer for me. That type of edgy music was however more dominant back then (2002), and I was surprised to hear a snippet of it on smoothfm recently given it’s a R&B/urban track.

Another song some radio stations continue to play intermittently is “Pompeii” by Bastille despite it being released ten years ago.

Both of these songs I’ve mentioned peaked at #4 on the ARIA Charts. As for the peak of “Pure Shores” I’m quite sure it charted well here.

1 Like

It did, at #4 as well! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pure Shores on Pure Gold? It’s mouldy enough to be a goldie!

I agree that it’s a very well crafted pop song, the likes of which we don’t see today.

It was on Hit.

But probably wouldn’t be out of place on a Classic Hits station like WS or Gold either.

I’m not at all that surprised that there are songs that are at least seven or eight years old are being played on either GOLD 104.3 or WSFM 101.7; a while ago I heard “Can’t Stop the Feeling” by Justin Timberlake, “Hello” by Adele on WSFM, “Counting Stars” by OneRepublic, “Hanging by a Moment” by Lifehouse and “Wherever You Will Go” by The Calling on the latter station.

A song this station does play frequently is “It’s My Life” by Bon Jovi - it never gets old. Though I would also not be surprised if they play “Bye Bye Bye” by NSYNC which is more pop-upbeat than classic rock!

1 Like

not really “forgotten” KIIS and Nova still play it from time to time.

3 Likes

A couple of good ones I heard on WSFM tonight that I haven’t heard for a while

Peaches – Presidents Of The United States
I Won’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me 12 inch – Nik Kershaw

5 Likes

Surprised WS played POTUSA, even on Saturday night. Has anyone heard ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ on there?

‘Dune Buggy’ and ‘Mach 5’ are the true forgotten songs.

2 Likes

Haven’t heard Nirvana on WS on Saturday nights.

‘Lump’ is another great POTUSA song that doesn’t get played much anymore.

1 Like