Great songs heard on radio

I maintain that there’s someone at GN who listens to my shows; amazing how often a Billy Bob classic is spun. Of course I am committing the ‘post hoc ergo propter hoc’ fallacy and also the attribution error fallacy…and the inflated ego fallacy, but who cares.

And yes, XLFM certainly delivered tonight with the “TGIF All 80s”.
Heard

Skin Deep - The Stranglers
Trouble - Lindsay Buckingham
Hit That Perfect Beat - Bronski Beat
Games Without Frontiers - Peter Gabriel
Let’s Go All The Way - Sly Fox
Strong Love - Pat Wilson
Moscow - Genghis Khan
Tarzan Boy - Baltimora
No Promises - Icehouse

6 Likes

Woah, I don’t think I’ve heard Moscow on the airwaves in my 30-something years on this planet. Was on a 80s compilation CD my mum had years ago, which is the only reason I even know it! Similarly with Tarzan Boy, very rare to hear that (though it does happen every now and then).

On topic, I caught Breeze playing Man of Colours - Icehouse this morning. A lot from that (excellent) album gets played on radio but not so frequently the title track, but it really should.

4 Likes

Moscow, Moscow, throw your glasses at the wall
And good fortune to us all
Ho ho ho ho ho - hey!
Moscow, Moscow, join us for a kazadchok
We’ll go dancing round the clock
Ha ha ha ha ha - hey!

4 Likes

Was just about to post a few of these (I was listening to GN FM). ‘Moscow’ was certainly the pick of the bunch in terms of the rarest song. I have heard ‘Strong Love’ before on Forever Classic but nobody else plays it.

This was the ‘piss on the goons’ version which is rarely played.

3 Likes

In Forever Classic territory again (this time via GNFM Goulburn) and heard the following today - tonight

Love And Affection- Allniters
Private Dancer - Tina Turner
When I’m With You - The Sparks
Wild Night - John Cougar Mellencamp
Self Control - Laura Branigan
Dare Me - Pointer Sisters
Street Cafe - Icehouse
Take This Heart - Richard Marx
Blue Day - Mi Sex
Have A Little Faith - John Farnham
Forever Live And Die - OMD
Cruel To Be Kind - Nick Lowe
I Don’t Want To Wait - Paula Cole
Pash - Kate Ceberano
Watching The Detectives - Elvis Costello

6 Likes

This afternoon on Triple M CQ I heard If It Makes You Happy by Sheryl Crow. It’s good to hear something different other then All I Wanna Do.

4 Likes

A Forever Classic special not heard on any other station. The Allniters song is a surprise as they usually reserve such rarities for Friday and Saturday nights.

1 Like

Most of the songs i posted are seldomly heard on commercial radio anywhere else.

Simple Minds - Sanctify Yourself
The Cure - High
Divinyls - Back To The Wall

Yesterday on Now FM Moree

7 Likes

Cheers Matt, Trust you are well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

One of my favourite Simple Minds songs.

I’d forgotten that Divynls one too.

3 Likes

I love that Divinyls song, a more forgotten one but still excellent.

2 Likes

Had Forever Classic withdrawal symptoms since arriving back home yesterday, so streamed a few hours of GNFM today and heard these gems

Girl On The Wall – Jane Clifton
Calling Your Name – Marilyn
I Love A Rainy Night – Eddie Rabbitt
Fly Like An Eagle – Steve Miller Band
One Of Us – Joan Osborne
Bop Girl – Pat Wilson
Tom’s Diner – Suzanne Vega feat DNA
Round And Round – Spandau Ballet
Jeepster – T-Rex
Breakout – Swing Out Sister
You Can’t Stop The Music – Village People
Dr Beat – Miami Sound Machine
Everything Must Change – Paul Young
You’re In My Heart – Rod Stewart
Werewolves Of London – Warren Zevon
Mountain – Chocolate Starfish
My Hometown – Bruce Springsteen
Shakedown - Bob Seger

6 Likes

Wish I could get the Jane Clifton song on iTunes or somewhere. I’ve been trying to add it to my playlist for years.

4 Likes

Yes, a YouTube rip of the vinyl is all you’re getting for the moment.

Sounds like you need to move here @Radiohead . Bungendore is about as ‘Forever Classic’ as you can get, with both XL and GN FM receivable on a car radio with RDS. You also get 2CA on DAB+.

3 Likes

Yes, the weather would be more my cup of tea too, I didn’t miss the coastal humidity at all when I was down south.

1 Like

It’s a great place to escape the humidity that’s for sure. But probably a little too dry at times; Braidwood has the best climate in the region by far with more rainfall and similar temps/humidity over the year (with a cooler summer). Bungendore is half way between Braidwood and Canberra in terms of summer temps but unfortunately is even drier than Canberra and a desert compared to Braidwood. In the cool season Bungendore generally gets the coldest temps overall.

For proximity to services though with a little compromise on the climate, Bungendore is hard to beat.

1 Like

I have it on this CD…

https://www.discogs.com/release/8435816-Various-Live-It-Up-Australian-Pop-Of-The-80s

I’m so glad I got all of these ‘Australian Pop Of The 80s’ CD series at the time (I think there were 6 or 7 of them) and as I see some of them are now over $100 on eBay.

I wish there were more of them!

3 Likes

Ron of Crap From The Past is glad for those compilations as well! Here’s his recent Aussie special:

They are a great set, I’ve been working through them every second week for the Missing Six (80s edition). I’m only up to Vol. 3.

4 Likes