Great songs heard on radio

This was a geart 70’s series

3 Likes

I have that CD,one that was put together by Brent James,former music guru at 4KQ (now on 4BC)
Personally I think his music programming talent is wasted there😕on a talkback station.

3 Likes

They were also responsible for the Feeling Groovy series.

2 Likes

I know. I have no idea what the logic is to employ Brent on 4BC - they barely play any music. It’s just weird. Perhaps it’s to keep him off 4BH. If that’s the strategy it’s not working, 4BH is now outrating 4BC anyway.

2 Likes

Was back in town last weekend, naturally I listened on the way home as far as possible. :wink:

2 Likes

The wheels of industry never stop turning. It’s a wonder the schools up there have a budget for a whizz bang PM Audio system given the airconditioning bills :smiley:

1 Like

I had a listen to the ‘Forever Classic - Saturday Night Party Mix’ for about 90 minutes tonight (streamed via GNFM) and I have to say I’m kind of a little disappointed.

They played some good songs, but not ones that I would have chosen for a ‘Party Mix’ program, such as

Too Low For Zero - Elton John
The Walls Came Down – The Call
What is Life – George Harrison
Now We’re Getting Somewhere – Crowded House

They also played the original 1982 version of Steve Winwood’s ‘Valerie’, as I thought the 1987 remix version would have been more suited to a ‘Party Mix’ program.

But I did hear enjoying the following two

Don’t Go – Pseudo Echo
Living Next Door to Alice – Smokie

I never thought I’d say this, but I think Saturday nights are where WSFM plays better music than the Forever Classic log on GN/XL FMs.

5 Likes

Nice to see Smooth FM playing their fair share of Backstreet Boys classics, namely:

• Everybody (Backstreet’s Back)
  • I Want it That Way
  • Larger Than Life
2 Likes

Just now they are playing Angel Of Harlem. Enough to send you to sleep.

1 Like

Most U2 songs send me to sleep too… they are usually station changers for me.

‘New Years Day’ is one exception.

3 Likes

I’ve noticed that as well. ‘Too Low For Zero’ is one I’d play on my breakfast show, not the Conga Line or a Retro Party Mix programme.

3 Likes

For me, any U2 song is a must-listen; specifically:

• New Year’s Day
  • Pride (In the Name of Love)
  • Beautiful Day
  • Vertigo
  • Elevation
  • With or Without You
  • Walk On
1 Like

Yep, agree with this. The only ones I like are New Years Day, Pride (In the Name of Love) and Vertigo (weirdly this one is an exception being a newer one).

The rest of their frequenly played material usually makes me want to change the station.

3 Likes

A few of the rarer ones I don’t mind.

Unforgettable Fire
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo

Also like Mysterious Ways.

4 Likes

Any U2 song is an immediate station changer for me.

2 Likes

Ditto, probably the best of their popular songs. But yeah most of the U2 catalogue I could live without hearing again. ‘Lemon’, ‘Numb’ and ‘Discotheque’ are also pretty good and all very different to the average U2 song.

There was an aircheck of KROQ Los Angeles in about 1983/84 which claimed that ‘U2 would be one of the most important bands of the 80s’. Nostradamus, or did the DJ just have connections with the record companies?

2 Likes

The 80s was U2s heyday… their releases since the infamous iTunes debacle in 2014 have largely faded into obscurity.

1 Like

I liked a lot of their early 90’s stuff. The Fly would have to be one of my favourites.
One album i used to love of theirs was the Zooropa album. This album used to get flog to death in my car in my late teenage years.

Heard these during Triple M Sydney’s Awesome 80s Friday today

Marlene On The Wall – Suzanne Vega
The Old Man Down The Road – John Fogarty
Current Stand – Kids In the Kitchen
Barbados – Models
Why Can’t I Be You – The Cure

6 Likes

A surprising choice for the bogan’s 'ome of rawk, spawt ‘n’ komedi.

1 Like