Great songs heard on radio

Jim Croce’s Bad, Bad Leroy Brown on 2UE this morning. Haven’t heard that on radio for decades.

1 Like

Excellent tune from 1984 which may or may not be getting an airing on this week’s Missing Six!

2 Likes

Absolutely loving hearing Running Up That Hill by Kate Bush on Australian CHR at the moment, cannot get enough of this song.

Only in 2022 can a Netflix series catapult a 37!year old song, and make it more successful the second time round.

Smallzy said on tonight’s show that it is the most requested song on the Nova Network.

7 Likes

The song is and always will be groundbreaking. They’ll be playing it long after the other hits of 2022 are forgotten.

5 Likes

Totally agree, I know it is an 80’s song, I was nine years old when it came out, but still sounds very contemporary today. It is a great song and was used in that key scene of the series. This is why it grabbed the attention of so many Millennials and Gen Z’s

If it goes #1 in Australia / NZ and the UK it will far succeed the success the song had in 1985.

4 Likes

Thanks to Stranger Things, it has graduated from mostly being heard on the ARN Regional Greatest Hits playlist or Capital’s stations during their 30 minute music marathons to the world of CHR radio. And yes I knew of this song way before Stranger Things.

Also to get this back on topic: Casablanca by Bertie Higgins being played on 98.5 2OOOFM Sydney. During the late evenings, you may hear Easy Listening music on that station along with Multicultural Messages.

2 Likes

I heard it for the first time on fm radio around 1989 on Canberra’s fm 104.7 on the way to snow so it brings back childhood memories.

Over across the ditch ZM fm is flogging it on 2-3hours spins.

1 Like

The Forever Classic log on GN/XL FM and 3GG is definitely a good one. Heard these today on GNFM.

7 Seconds - Youssou N’Dour and Neneh Cherry
Big Time - Peter Gabriel
Sharp Dressed Man - ZZ Top
We Don’t Talk Anymore - Cliff Richard
This Time - INXS
Rock n Roll Girls - John Fogarty
Don’t Forget Me When I’m Gone - Glass Tiger
Fire - Pointer Sisters
Strut - Sheena Easton
(Forever) Live And Die - OMD
Hey Leonardo (She Likes Me For Me) - Blessid Union Of Souls
Happy Birthday Helen - Things Of Stone & Wood

7 Likes

We’ve just run out of Melbourne clichés.

5 Likes

Hmm…I played that one last week…as an example of a hit that would definitely not chart today! (Unless it featured on Netflix, of course). I have been seeing a few pop up on Forever Classic that have featured on my show…coincidence or not? Probably sampling and conformation biases at work, but I’d like to think they are listening :smiley:

1 Like

Roachford “Only to be with you” was on Mix 106.3’s drive show a few days ago. I remember hearing another great Roachford song from the early 90s “Cuddly Toy” only once on the radio when it was charting, I was driving from Newcastle to Canberra and was on Pennant Hills Road listening to 2Day FM. Never heard it again but bought it on iTunes a few years ago.

3 Likes

‘Cuddly Toy’ was a much bigger hit in the USA than either here or in the UK, hence why you rarely (if ever) hear it. The later hits in the 90s (‘Only To Be With You’, ‘Lay Your Love On Me’) were the reverse: bigger in Australia and almost unheard in the US.

I will give ‘Cuddly Toy’ a spin on The Conga Line next week for you (I have played it once, a fair while ago). ‘Family Man’ is another Roachford song that was a US-only hit, again from the late 80s.

Just checked and ‘Cuddly Toy’ was only a very minor hit in Australia in 1988 (#73), bigger in the US (#25), flopped in the UK initially but was re-released in 1989 and went to #4. It’s a great song that deserves more airplay.

4 Likes

A good selection of songs there mate. :+1:

3 Likes

If you really want to hear some rare stuff on ‘Forever Classic’, Friday and Saturday nights are the best. The workday format is more workaday but still a great listen. It’s what I call a ‘no crap’ music format, where the music is consistently good without any station changers.

Rare stuff is also played on 2BS on Friday and Saturday nights. The music format is very similar to The Breeze in QLD. Unfortunately they air talkback from 2GB on weeknights.

2 Likes

I had a listen tonight to GNFM for a couple of hours and it was a bit of a mixed bag… Heard the following that don’t really belong on a ‘party’ program (as good as some are)

Paradise By The Dashboard Light - Meatloaf
Sweet Talkin Woman - ELO
Rikki Don’t Lose That Number - Steely Dan
Life Is A Rollercoaster - Ronan Keating

There was a bit too much 90s disco and not enough early disco (eg. no ABBA). Heard Remember Me - Blue Boy (1997)
Ride On Time - Black Box (1990)
The Macarena - Los Del Rio (1996)

The only particularly good/notable songs for me were:

Do To You - Machinations
When I’m With You - Sparks

Overall, I preferred what I heard on Thursday night.

5 Likes

Yeah I find that Fridays are better with the ‘All 80s TGIF’. Looks like Saturdays have gone downhill a bit.

2 Likes

Today on 4KQ:
“Amanda” by Boston -1986
“More than a Feeling “ wasn’t their only hit after all.

6 Likes

‘Amanda’ gets an occasional run on Forever Classic as well…or at least it did. I think I’ve even heard ‘Don’t Look Back’ on occasion, too.

3 Likes

Smokin and Peace Of Mind from Boston are quite popular on the radio too

1 Like

Haven’t read this thread for a while so it’s been great to flick through all the great/rare songs you guys have heard over the past few months. On Boston, we get “Foreplay/Long Time” every now and then in Rebel territory here, as you say it makes a nice change from “More Than A Feeling” which, despite being an excellent song, is a bit overplayed.

Speaking of Rebel, we had a bit of TISM cracked out here this afternoon (Thanks Davo)

4 Likes