Great songs heard on radio

Great track. I played it on one of my retro countdowns ages ago; I think I will give it another spin this week.

2BS FM have been playing some out of the box recently. When they are playing music, they are actually not too dissimilar to Breeze. It’s a shame they go with talkback on most nights. Add in B-Rock as a psuedo-Rebel and Bathurst still does OK for radio. And for a few days in October (or December), Bathurst feels much like Logan as well.

I heard a Wendy Matthews song on 2BS the other night that I have not heard since around the time of its release : ‘Then I Walked Away’. A later song from 1997. I’d imagine Breeze might play that one.

3 Likes

You could also say that 2BS & B-Rock are the NSW equivalent of Breeze & Rebel respectively. It’s quite pleasantly surprising that even though it has been 3 years since BOG had bought both stations from the Camplins, it is still run independently from the rest of the network. Heck, 2BS now plays more music under BOG ownership than when it was independently-owned! :flushed:

They also provide a good alternative to MMM/Hit Orange & 2LT/Move FM Lithgow in its respective markets.

5 Likes

I liked that one also👍

1 Like

It’s been a while since I’ve posted here!
I’ve run out of rarely played good songs to post.
But heard one today

Rise - Daryl Braithwaite

On the TCBL Sapphire FM 97.5 in Merimbula (I’m down in Eden tonight).

8 Likes

Off-Topic, but Sapphire FM now has a full-time licence as from 1st March this year.

Source: https://www.acma.gov.au/sites/default/files/2022-05/lic035_community_radio_broadcasting_licences.pdf

3 Likes

Thanks, in typical ACMA form, it’s still not listed in the April 2022 stations book.

Edit- In Radcomm database, call sign is 2SFM.

3 Likes

Would have been better if they played the Chosen Few’s original version! I played it on my show. Sapphire is a good little station, if a little lacking in live and local programming.

I’m not sure if the Merimbula/Eden market is big enough for two community stations. There was/is at least one presenter that is involved with both stations; he announced the wrong station when I caught him!

1 Like

A change from hearing “The Horses” all the time,

3 Likes

Heard a few good unflogged songs today in Melbourne

The Old Man Down The Road - John Fogarty on 3MFM 88.1

The Love We Make - Girl Overboard on Southern FM 88.3
Love that song!

Wild Horses - Gino Vanelli on Triple M Melbourne’s “A Flock Of 80s Fridays”.

4 Likes

This post is not necessarily about a song in particular but I heard a 12 inch mix on Gold 104.3s Saturday Night Party Playlist (Gold - Spandau Ballet).

So given Gold and WS both play 12 inchers on Saturday nights, I wondered if any other commercial stations play them much at all? I know they are both ARN stations.

4 Likes

I have heard the odd extended mix on Forever Classic (XL/GN) but they are about as rare as settled snow in Goulburn or Cooma.

The song variations aired on WS during regular hours are also interesting. There are some tracks (“Come Said The Boy”) which are album versions, or at least longer than the single edit. Other tracks have been shortened.

The other day, I heard a version of “Tiny Dancer” that was edited by the station from 6 minutes down to about 4. For someone familiar with the original, certain cut points were very obvious.

3 Likes

MMM 80’s have played a few 12 inch mixes over the last 2 days that Ive recalled:

Hot in the City:Billy Idol
Some like it Hot:The Power Station

3 Likes

I suppose they are hot 12 inch mixes.

1 Like

I have always loved a good 12 inch.

And for those under 30, there’s no need to report my comment. It’s related to great songs heard on the radio.

I remember when Nova started and they would play extended mixes at breakfast and in the mornings. It was outrageous. I loved it. It sounded different.

My pride of place, and I still have it, was Melissa Tkautz’s 12 inch of “Read My Lips”. Do it. Do it.

8 Likes

A couple of good unflogged songs heard tonight

You’re Only Human - Billy Joel
On Gold Central Victoria 98.3

Creeping Up Slowly - Taxiride
On Phoenix FM 106.7 Bendigo

5 Likes

I suppose you took a chance on a rumour- heard from a friend- that Phoenix FM is the station to listen to for forgotten pop hits?

Taxiride are a Victorian band through and through, though.

No :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Dunno how often this gets played but I heard Nirvana’s “About A Girl” (I think the MTV Unplugged version) around 3 this morning on… 4AK of all stations (hooray for SDRs!!).

You’d think they wouldn’t play this after new dance music but… I guess you can’t ever tell. What a mixed bag haha

1 Like

Some good tunes heard on the radio from Bendigo to Albury today. A couple of rarely played songs were aired.

One Of Us - Joan Osborne
On 101.3 OAK FM Wangaratta

Not The Loving Kind - The Twins
On 88.7 3RUM FM Walwa / Jingelic

3 Likes