Gold Coast radio, print, online and other non TV

No change to the DAB+ name - still MMM 92.5. I was tuned in to the station this morning when the RDS changed.

1 Like

That MPX is getting pretty full now!

1 Like

Logo

2 Likes

Oh My God! Is SCA on Crack? :laughing:

1 Like

Perhaps a pre-curser to a complete change to Gold 92.5 if the ARN/ACP takeover happens?

2 Likes

and should never really have left in the first place.

2 Likes

SeaFM content director Kim Czosnek and GoldFM content director Corey Kay have both resigned.

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/gold-coast/gold-coast-radio-heavyhitters-go-from-seafm-and-goldfm/news-story/d804f016986f883ba2585e4d35e9f19d

The GC Bulletin article says there is speculation that next year’s Sea FM breakfast will be anchored by comedian Harley Breen, and will be networked across Queensland.

1 Like

Its not speculation. Its fact.

Two comedians in a show is interesting…

It’s typical GCB quality (lack thereof):

"High-ranking bosses at 90.9 SeaFM and 92.5 Triple M Gold are gone amid sweeping changes in the city’s radio landscape.

The departures were announced at an all-staff meeting on Wednesday, with SeaFM content director Kim Czosnek and GoldFM content director Corey Kay having already cleared out their desks.

Ms Czosnek had worked at the Broadbeach-based station since September 2021 and Mr Kay since early 2016.

Their departure comes just weeks after the shock axing of SeaFM breakfast hosts Bianca Dye and Ben Hannant, while co-host Danny Lakey was spared.

Lakey will host the 2024 SeaFM breakfast show with Bronte Langbroek, daughter of Surfers Paradise MP John-Paul Langbroek, while rumours persist about a third member of the team.

There is speculation in the industry that comedian and TV host Harley Breen, who hosted Perth’s 2DAY FM breakfast show with Em Rusciano, would anchor the team, and that the show would be based on the Gold Coast but networked across regional Queensland stations.

An insider said that would be “bad news” for Gold Coast listeners.

“Harley is great, there’s nothing negative about him. But while this show would be produced on the Gold Coast, it would be shared across Queensland, it would not be a local show,” they said.

“It would be more like a podcast with little or no local content, which seems crazy because the Gold Coast is such a growing market.”

Another industry source said the reduction of staff and shows was part of major cost-cutting at Southern Cross Austereo, owners of Gold and Sea, after ARN Media teamed up with private equity firm Anchorage Capital Partners to launch a $330m takeover bid of SCA just over a month ago.
ARN said the takeover would create “the opportunity to benefit from cost and other efficiencies … under the management of ARN’s well regarded and cost focussed management team”.

Fronting shareholders shortly after the takeover announcement, SCA CEO John Kelly announced the network already planned to cut costs by more than $15 million this year.

“The writing is on the wall that there will be more cuts,” said the source.

“If they’re going to get rid of the two content directors, who is safe?

“With the ARN takeover, they really don’t want the SeaFMs, only the Triple Ms. Sea FM will be the poor sister.

“You just wonder who they will get to run the shows right now, they need someone in there - but no doubt it will be one person replacing the two.

“It’s an unpleasant vibe in there, and I’d be worried for anyone in middle management.”

SCA was contacted for comment but has not yet responded."

NB what I bolded for emphasis, journo has no idea of radio.

2 Likes

Neither does their supposed industry insider.

1 Like

And they still don’t have a permanent licence. 10 years is a long time to run on a TCBL.

Still, congratulations to them. They’ve carefully considered the demographics of their community and catered for a clear gap in the market from the other stations, and they do it well.

I agree… The guys have done a great job. But as someone that lived the initial period I’d never return to that scene ever again! Even though there is a constant trickle of mates going - you should. No thanks… Even I’m not that keen!

I saw an ACMA report of how many Community Licenses they handed out (for that year) a while back. It just happened to be the year they called for Full Time Applicants on the GC. So the guys have had a chance. But ACMA reported it as - decided to not allocate.

As one can imagine… the question of “why not?” Pops into one’s head. Then for a fleeting moment I felt compelled to send ACMA an email asking why? I got the usual - we are responsible for allocating a sparse resource BS and all the usual blah (that comes with it). The kind of stuff that makes anyone with a sensible thinking brain just want to puke! So after that revisit of walking down the ACMA gov speak lane… That really says nothing.

I did find out later that the guys were being investigated for a complaint at the time when the call for full time aplications was in the pipe. One can only hope the two were dealt with in a way that saw then not effect their full time application. But this is ACMA… ACMA didn’t even say… we felt that the applicants we recieved didn’t meet the minimum critera (and I would have accepted that). Even I got, their usual “spin dribble” AGAIN that says nothing. People that know me these days would not be surprised when i say… I started my email with… Please be aware I’m alergic to your Gov BS Spin talk… would you mind giving me some reason that actuall makes sense in the real world? I’m sure it’s a requirement to learn to speak like this when you get a gov job. But can we have it in plain speak please? I truly did…

Maybe the 94.1 guys are happy to just roll along with what they know? Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for the guys. But boy sailing with all those bills and commitments, with no long term security? No thanks, I’m not that keen!

2 Likes

https://www.energex.com.au/outages/outage-finder/emergency-outages-text-view/?council=Scenic%20Rim%20Regional&event=INCD-714871-g&street=&suburb=TAMBORINE%20MOUNTAIN

Long restoration is expected for Tamborine, main site of the Gold Coast’s radio and TV services (save for ABC FMs at North Rd Lwr Beechmont), plus RNEZ stations Rebel & Breeze. Hope the diesel generators are in good form and staff are enjoying the trips to top them up.

2 Likes

The area is in a bad way.

1 Like

Yes we are. :slightly_smiling_face: Though first you need a chainsaw to get the genset doors open.

We have had three GC/Logan sites running on diesel gen since Xmas day.

5 Likes

Thanks for the update @AJ1, challenging weather recently.

All Gold Coast TV and FM are currently off air apart from Lower Beechmont ABC’s. Genny Finally ran out I see

2 Likes

Can always listen to Breeze and Rebel that are still going strong!

4 Likes