Gogglebox Australia

Congratulations to Foxtel, 10, endemol and gogglebox for 100 episodes. Not many would have predicted 100 episodes for this show.

2 Likes

It is an All Stars season though, just given a different moniker due to Ten having already made an All Stars season in 2012

I would’ve thought it was well-known that this season was being promoted and branded as ‘Back to Win’ and that they should’ve picked up on it.

Not the biggest issue I suppose but still something worthy to point out.

While the UK version has a larger pool of families, the viewer favourites (Pete and Sophie, the Malones, Jenny and Lee, Giles and Mary, Ellie and Izzie) still tend to appear week in, week out across the season while the ones who don’t add as much value tend to appear in fewer episodes and disappear fairly quickly.

Pete and Sophie are by far the standout performers in that cast. They crack me up and remind me of the dynamic I had with one of my sisters watching TV in our teens as we tried to outdo each other with the most ludicrous, inappropriate comments.

I wish the Australian producers would cast the net a bit wider for families and perhaps accept video auditions from people who’d like to appear. I’m finding the new additions to be a bit disappointing. Some have potential but we need to see people who can really riff off each other. Adam and Symon have been a big loss this year.

2 Likes

#MediaspymembersforGogglebox2021.

Some of our members would make for absolute TV gold if they were featured watching what our FTA sector is offering day in day out.

1 Like

New cast members aren’t great. No humour or chemistry.

2 Likes

The new family is awful and the teenage boy is clearly attempting to become an internet sensation. He tries too hard and isn’t funny.

2 Likes

I think Giles and Mary are brilliant - they dont seem to get featured as much as a few seasons ago though

2 Likes

The stuff they came up with I’m convinced they are improv actors. But it cracks me up.

The UK did celebrity versions but with the small group of celebs we have in Australia, would they take the piss out of each other?

As much as I’d love to see even just a one-off episode of Gogglebox featuring some of Australia’s top media enthusiasts, I think the televisual opinions of our members (and I do include myself in this category) would be way too obscure/inside for the general public to click with.

Besides, who would Media Spy members have as their “viewing partners” so to speak? I get the impression that many people here watch TV on their own, unlike all Goggleboxers which are groups of two or more people.

60 minutes of bitching about watermarks, lower thirds, the Seven Perth desk and Tim Bailey. I’m in.

8 Likes

Don’t forget mappy, Mark Ferguson, 10’s Saturday nights, Today show.

Count me in.

2 Likes

And an entire episode dedicated to the Usher vs Doyle saga.

3 Likes

A whole season dedicated to Network 10 Upfronts exclusively available on Gogglebox: Mediaspy Edition.

3 Likes

I agree, Adam and Symon leaving was incredibly disappointing and it has left a huge hole in the show that in my eyes has not been filled by these newbies an probably will not ever be. They were humorous and had amazing chemistry as friends and it made them extremely relatable and nothing but positive to watch. Not to mention Symon is really easy on the eye as well.

2 Likes

I don’t like either of them. Those 2 girls try way too hard especially the blond one, she sounds like she’s putting on a fake accent and her comments are never funny and feel forced and over exaggerated while her friend rarely ever talks. The boys are absolutely nothing on Adam and Symon, they’re probably the best of the 3 but I sense a little homophobia IMO from them. The new family adds nothing. The dad hardly talks, the mum says nothing with substance and the kids try way too hard and know exactly that the cameras are there, I think theres even one kid I don’t even recall speaking at all? I for one am disappointed in the new families. They make Tim and Leannae look entertaining (no disrespect to them or anyone who likes them, I personally just find them weaker than everyone else). The best of any new casting on gogglebox is Sarah-Marie, Matty and Jad, they are TV gold.

1 Like

Personally, I think the variety of content reviewed on Gogglebox is a bigger issue than the cast.

When the show first started, there were attempts made to have a reasonably wide mix of primetime content. But more recently, there’s been an overreliance on “reality” programs to the point that I’ve often only seen one or two half decent reviews in some episodes of Gogglebox during the last few seasons!

1 Like

Personally the content doesn’t worry me, I watch reality TV so I can relate to the reviews. Its the shows I don’t watch that I find boring like cooking shows and home renovation shows. However I can see your point with lack of variety. I love when they watch something completely random like that documentary about the Egyptian pharos or when they watch a movie. Will be really disappointing if they don’t review the castle tonight or next week. However I guess a lot of goggle box viewers are casual audiences, so they need to cater to that most people are watching. i.e if MAFS is the most talked about show then causal viewers will be drawn to the reviews of it because they can relate.

Pretty sure they have already reviewed The Castle in a past episode.

There’s been reviews of a few classic Australian movies during past episodes of Gogglebox, but I don’t believe they’ve done “The Castle” yet.