Gogglebox Australia

Any good bits (without giving too much away, of course) or is it simply not worth tuning into Ten’s airing tomorrow night?

I’m thinking about not watching it live, but recording it so I can skip the segments featuring MAFS and other “reality” shows the producers bombard us with reviews of because they apparently don’t get enough publicity on social media, websites, newspapers, magazines & FM radio! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Too much MAFS, Survivor and DWTS. It’s getting too predictable when they cover the same reality crap season after season. I always prefer it when they cover something a little off beat like Stacey Dooley Sleeps Over, animal shows or reactions to current affairs.

1 Like

Same here. I think the rot started to set in when Gogglebox moved away somewhat from covering news and current affairs a few years ago, possibly in part due to the launch of Common Sense. Of course the spin-off program backfired and only lasted one season, but even so reactions to topical events remain fustratingly infrequent on Gogglebox!

Even in the second of last year’s Gogglebox seasons there were segments looking at individual titles (mainly on the ABC & SBS) which showed me that the program is still more than capable of generating brilliant reviews, they’ve just got to look beyond what the main commercial channels are showing in primetime.

2 Likes

Best line of the show went to a kid in the new family. MAFS was being watched and a contestant was telling heir mother that they would be part of a social experiment. The mother said something like “Is it that TV show” and the kid said “no, that’s not why the massive television cameras are in your house”. :rofl:

From the excerpts show tonight it was so easy to see why MKR is failing this year.

2 Likes

10 have a promo featuring this week’s episode and one of the new families.

2 Likes

The most popular shows on TV are reality shows, particularly among the demographics of the Googlebox audience. I imagine there’s more interest in seeing the cast review and react to shows that people more likely have already seen or are familiar rather than shows that has heard of and watched.

1 Like

I can understand and accept (even if somewhat reluctantly) that Gogglebox has to review the major reality franchises to be a relevant program.

But personally, I don’t want to see MAFS, MKR, Survivor and DWTS (or later in the year, The Bachelor/ette) on there every second week! Meanwhile Sport + News & Current Affairs get very few if any reviews on Gogglebox even though ratings figures suggest these are also very popular TV genres in Australia and probably generate an overwhelming amount of watercooler talk…

While news and current affairs might have high total viewers I don’t think that Goggleboxers watching that every week would be very entertaining and given the split nature of popular winter sports in Australia, there isn’t a lot that appeals to everyone. I can’t think of any sport from the last week that would have been interesting.

Besides, apart from reality TV, there was plenty of other shows reviewed this week including one from ABC and one from SBS plus there was a news report featured on the quarantined cruise ship in Japan.

2 Likes

Two of the 3 new households are duds. The new family showed potential - the kids seem more confident than the Jackson family and I think long term will settle.

The boys from the Gold Coast were fairly bland, and the new girls whoever they are - honestly are quite terrible and genuinely look like they are cast purely for diversity for the sake of it rather than actual talent. They didn’t really add anything to the show at all.

1 Like

It has only been 1 episode, don’t know how you can judge how they are going to be long term from that.

1 Like

Yeah but that’s what the majority of people are watching so it would be odd for them to not cover them. I agree if all of these shows are on every week it will get repetitive but as the first episode of the season it needed too.

Last night they covered the Coronavirus. Personally I like the topical discussions but one an episode is sufficient. Remeber they tried that other show ‘Common Sense’ that was a spin off of Gogglebox that had people talking about the news and topical stuff. It didn’t do as well and never came back.

That young girl actually spat out 2 or 3 random comments that made me laugh. She was good value.

Also notice that last night they covered two episodes of MAFS - they started with one of the weddings which was 3 or 4 weeks ago then jumped to Tuesday nights episode.

1 Like

Yes the kids in that family were good value. I think it was the 15 yo boy that commented on MAFS. I was surprised the youngest kids were watching MAFS.

Visual of the night

was he imitating his dog?

Even poor Bane looked a bit flat and out of form last night. Looks like he’s getting too fat to hoist himself up to hump as much as he once did.

The new girls reminded me of the daft girls, Abby and Georgia, in the UK version. Just didn’t find they were good value. Hopefully the producers aren’t afraid to ditch cast members if they don’t work out, as they have done in the UK show.

Angie reacting to some click bait story from News Corp

1 Like

It’s mainly just Di then? But didn’t Angie sling shit on everyone too when she was on there? She of all people should know its just lounge room commentary.

1 Like

She’s annoying now. She needs to just go away into ex reality tv star land. #baibai

Tim and Leanne are rather boring/bland yet they’re back again this year.

On the Apple TV it says expiring tomorrow , it’s 10.34pm Qld time now, so it’s not available this year for 48 hrs anymore?

Did Anastacia move house? Looks different and her couch.

For what they’re worth, I thought the three new households were OK (not brilliant, but not bad either) although I’m still not quite sold on the idea of trying to essentially replicate the dynamics of The Jacksons, Adam & Symon and Angie & Yvie with The Elias Family, Milo & Nic and Kaday & Chantel respectively.

Would you say something like that to their faces?!

For what it’s worth, I think it’s great that Gogglebox has a reasonably diverse cast with people from different backgrounds. In that regard, it’s certainly a lot better than the casting of many other Australian TV shows which are heavily reliant on attractive looking caucasians.

6 Likes

They mentioned in the episode that she had her house renovated.

2 Likes