Gogglebox Australia

Because it is on Foxtel and was bound to get good reactions.

They review movies from the 80s and 90s, which have been often repeated.

1 Like

Interesting poll on TV Tonight asking whether Gogglebox should review shows off Amazon, Netfix and Stan.

Being a Foxtel show, and Netflix being Foxtel’s biggest competition these days, I can’t see it happening.

It most likely won’t happen for reasons already pointed out, but I reckon there’s a place for popular programs from streaming services to be reviewed on Gogglebox. For example, the rather dark series “13 Reasons Why” probably would’ve made for some interesting reviews last year.

2 Likes

The problem with scripted series is they won’t watch a whole season and one random episode will most likely be meaningless. That’s why they often only do the first episode of a new series like Safe Harbour this week.

1 Like

“Last week we downloaded the latest episodes of Modern Family and The Big Bang Theory and found an episode of the newest US sitcom Young Sheldon on You Tube …”

7 Likes

So will Yvie have someone else? or not be shown at all? Should have got her mate Celeste Barber.

Unable to show any of the opening ceremony because of rights restrictions, Gogglebox gave a big middle finger to the Commonwealth Games at the start of last night’s show :grin:

6 Likes

The eighth season premieres at the end of August. First time since season 4 in 2016 that a season starts in the period.

5 Likes

Season 8 Of Gogglebox Australia Announces Premiere Date

Lifestyle channel on Wednesday 29 August at 7:30pm AEST
TEN and WIN Network Thursday 30 August at 8.30pm.

Gogglebox Australia is back! Recently crowned Most Popular Entertainment Program at the 2018 TV Week Logie Awards, the now three-time Logie award winning show about people watching television will return to our screens first on Foxtel’s Lifestyle channel on Wednesday, August 29 at 7.30pm and the following day, Thursday August 30, at 8.30pm on Network Ten.

Hannah Barnes, Group General Manager Lifestyle, lifestyle.com.au Group, said: “Winning a Logie this year in the highly contested category of Most Popular Entertainment Program was particularly special. It shows that the Australian public is as passionate about Gogglebox as we are. We can’t wait to see what our Goggleboxer’s have to say about the wonderful world of television this season.”

Network Ten, Head of Comedy, Paul Leadon said: "Gogglebox returns for Season 8 with all our current cast members, and they’re all eager to share their unique insights on a full range of televisual delights. We last saw the gang in April, so there’ll be plenty of new shows for them to enjoy – or destroy – when they return in August.”

The eighth series of Gogglebox Australia will see all our favourite households returning to their lounges to critique the best and the worst of Australian television; bubbly Greek best friends Anastasia and Faye; cocktail-loving Wayne and Tom; the adorable and sports-crazy Jackson Family; the fun-loving and cricket-mad Delpechitra Family; vivacious friends Angie and Yvie; best mates Adam and Symon; dealers in Indigenous Art Mick and Di; the close-knit Dalton Family; happily married couple Lee and Keith; newly-weds Matty and Sarah Marie and their friend Jad; and the three generations of women in the Silbery Family.

5 Likes

Wayne and Tom have released a new book called Cocktales on the Couch. It’s part cocktail book, part biography.
http://au.newhollandpublishers.com/cocktales-on-the-couch-with-tom-and-wayne.html

1 Like

Is it X-rated?

6 Likes

No it’s not, otherwise it will not be available at general bookshops :stuck_out_tongue:

This week’s season premiere should be a cracker. The Liberal Party leadership spill and Ten’s Pilot Week will definitely be covered, but I think there may be one or two surprises as well.

1 Like

I doubt every show in Ten’s “Pilot Week” will be featured on Gogglebox, only the highlights so there’s still enough time to catch up with key programs on other channels like The Block and Dance Boss.

Also there’ll probably be a “classic movie” at the end.

The Dish? maybe

Anastasia and Faye on The Project tonight.

3 Likes

As it turns out, the Goggleboxers have bypassed Pilot Week (like most of Australia did, it seems):

Aside from that, I get the feeling that this season might be the one that Gogglebox Australia becomes very long in the tooth and not really worth watching anymore by becoming a victim of it’s own success - too formulatic to the point you can often guess which shows are reviewed that week. My reaction to Australian Survivor, The Block & The Bachelor being among the shows to be reviewed this week…not again?!

One other problem I have with the show is that in the four years it’s been on air for, Gogglebox Australia has all but missed Winter when TV viewership is at its highest (Surely most would love to see Gogglebox in June/July + earlier in August one day?), but yet another season covering September & October? Give me a break.

I think the Goggleboxers were forced to bypass Pilot Week given the programs were picked by the producers. If they were able to watch Pilot Week in their own time, I would love to read their opinions on their Twitter accounts.