Gogglebox Australia

Another great episode this week. The Goggleboxers’ comments on Food Safari Earth and RBT were so funny.
Seems that the producers have included brief mentions of 1-2 shows and Goggleboxers’ reactions this season. In episode 1 it was the AFL Grand Final, this week it was the Australian Survivor finale.
Anastasia and Faye really loved The Greeks documentary on SBS based on their comments.

Wasn’t this the case in previous seasons too? Maybe not as noticeable?

There were the only ones. :slight_smile: Everyone else hated it.

If you want to be surprised about the shows that are “goggled” this week don’t read :slight_smile:

Wednesdays at 7.30pm on Lifestyle
Thursdays at 8.30pm on Ten

Tonight on Gogglebox

This week our Goggleboxers tuned in for final renovations on The Block, celebrated the life of a rock legend with documentary Michael: The Last Rockstar, and were shocked by news from The Living Room.

Patti Stanger’s brutal antics on E!’s The Millionaire Matchmaker had the Goggleboxers taken aback, while the launch of Foxtel’s new Australian History series LAWLESS - The Real Bushrangers sparked an age old debate – was outlaw Ned Kelly an Australian hero or notorious criminal?

3 Likes

It would be interesting to see Goggleboxers comment on specific media events, like Lisa Wilkinsons defection to TEN due to pay issues.

As far as I’ve seen, they’ve only commented on specific TV programs.

Although I’d also like to see the Goggleboxers comment on the news a bit more often, my guess is that the producers probably feel it’s too “Common Sense-esque” (you know, that show from earlier this year which had people reviewing news stories at work) for Gogglebox to be reviewing media events like Lisa Wilkinson’s defection to Ten these days.

1 Like

They have commented on some news and quasi-news stories. These have been presented as a 7.30 report (US Election) or a Project or ACA story. Early on there were some news bulletins watched e.g., NRL drugs, Richie Benaud.

1 Like

Gruen will be discussing this tonight. The advertising and promo experts might be more qualified to discuss this issue.

As well as sponsoring the Lifestyle/Ten airings of the program, sharp eyed viewers would’ve noticed that KFC and Bulla are integrating product placement into Gogglebox Australia.

This week’s episode featured The Delpechitra Family munching on a KFC meal with a strategically placed bucket:

Last week’s program featured this “You Can’t Fake Holly” mug which is very much in the style of Bulla’s current “Unfakeable” marketing/branding:

Of course, product placement probably isn’t uncommon in a lot of the primetime programs that Gogglebox reviews. But I do wonder if the households on the show are getting free stuff from KFC and Bulla for their participation on the program.

I also wonder if the product placement is having an effect on the program’s content. For example, in Season 2 (2015) there was a comment about ACA cross promoting The Block. Would such commentary make it into Gogglebox these days with two major food brands as sponsors?

5 Likes

Gogglebox - should be sponsored by BWS - excellent product placement

12 Likes

That’s why I call it Grogglebox.

the Delpechitras need to go.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Wayne without a glass of wine in his hand.

Who will give us the cheesy dad jokes?

1 Like

he’s actually low key filthy.

1 Like

Dirty dad jokes. Even better. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

That is an awful thing to say. Do you know him?

I think he meant that the dad often makes dirty jokes, not that he is actually filthy.

1 Like

I’d have to agree with that description.

The Delpechitras don’t add much to the show, but as soon as there’s anything that can be construed in a sexual context you can be sure the dad will chime in with something filthy that will make you cringe. Which to be fair is the only time I ever find them entertaining.

I have to say Matty, Sarah and Jad are growing on me.

His jokes go unnoticed by most people but go back and listen to them all.